• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Topshop hoods

Topshop hoods

Votes: 37 37.0%

Votes: 4 4.0%

Votes: 3 3.0%

Votes: 17 17.0%

Votes: 3 3.0%

Votes: 4 4.0%

Votes: 8 8.0%

Votes: 13 13.0%

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 10 10.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LilCe98

Hard-core CEG'er
Once again thanks to Crispy, TopShop is interested in making some more products for our Contours. According to her they seemed very excited about doing a hood for us in either Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber, but we need a design. Post your ideas and designs here, but please keep the arguing to a minimum. This is a continuation of a diccussion that started in the "EVO hood group buy". See that thread for more details.

Here are some ideas from that thread

MK_HoodTest.jpg

kaminari_neon_03_carbon_fiber_hood.JPG

SEI-HD9398TYSUP-TB_b.jpg

Hood_BC.jpg

non mover
Honda_Hood_14_HD0103HDCV-EVO.jpg

on car
2125716_6_full.jpg

98contourc27.jpg

2003cobra_1.jpg

Non Mover

1zn9938.jpg

on car
101_2276.jpg

Thanks again Crispy for all your hard work, time, and tenacity

Now lets see some others

Last edited:
I'm liking the red as well as the AAS (gold) hood. A slight modification to the Cowl hood thats available now wouldn't be bad either

I like the very first one, minus the naca duct in it. I think a nice cowl like that is pretty snazy.

Failing that, Id like to see an OEM style 03 cobra hood on the contour. Slight cowl, with the heat extractors.

I dont see the need to over complicate the designs with all these vents and slopes and cowls. If you want an extreme, you go for the current cowl hood. Lets get another more understated hood like the evo hood made.

I like the very first one, minus the naca duct in it. I think a nice cowl like that is pretty snazy.

Failing that, Id like to see an OEM style 03 cobra hood on the contour. Slight cowl, with the heat extractors.

I dont see the need to over complicate the designs with all these vents and slopes and cowls. If you want an extreme, you go for the current cowl hood. Lets get another more understated hood like the evo hood made.
couldnt have been better said!

And for reference, this is what rice looks like:

mj93js.jpg

Okay, carry on! I might give a go at another (bad) PS of that 'stang hood on our car... especially since I can work with photos and not paint stuff like in that other chop, lol.

Yes that was very well said. I do agree with you one the first picture. It has a slight cowl but not too big. I would like a functional scoop though but i'm not sure if i like how it looks on the first pic. Maybe if i could see it in the body color. I think the bad PS coloring is distracting me :laugh:

What do you all think about the Shaker idea? I've been thinking about it all day and have some ideas that we could use. I just need the design of the scoop you all would like to see.

There are three different setups that we could go with. A front to back shaker that has no function, a front to back shaker that actually allows air to flow to to the boxed off heatshield area of the intake(for those with heatshields), and a non functional side to side shaker using a system of rollers and rods that allows for the front to back motion to be converted side to side with alittle lift to make it look old schoolish.

I figured that we could have topshop make a CF scoop that would be used as the shaker with the stock hood at the least. Let me know if you all want more on this.

I think the bad PS coloring is distracting me :laugh:

Hey! Bite me!

:D

I do know PS, I just barely ever use it for photo manipulation. Anyhow, I dunno about the shaker, but I'm with everyone who wants a small cowl; like, half of what's on the other CF hood, and no bird bath.

I like vents, but dunno about the louver-things on the red Cobra hood. Functional or intake vents are better, IMHO.

What do you all think about the Shaker idea? I've been thinking about it all day and have some ideas that we could use. I just need the design of the scoop you all would like to see.

There are three different setups that we could go with. A front to back shaker that has no function, a front to back shaker that actually allows air to flow to to the boxed off heatshield area of the intake(for those with heatshields), and a non functional side to side shaker using a system of rollers and rods that allows for the front to back motion to be converted side to side with alittle lift to make it look old schoolish.

I figured that we could have topshop make a CF scoop that would be used as the shaker with the stock hood at the least. Let me know if you all want more on this.

I say go for it. If you can make it functional the better. If not than go for the front to back motion. The front to back sounds too complicated to make:laugh: Plus why pretend its something that its not:shrug:

Yes that was very well said. I do agree with you one the first picture. It has a slight cowl but not too big. I would like a functional scoop though but i'm not sure if i like how it looks on the first pic. Maybe if i could see it in the body color. I think the bad PS coloring is distracting me :laugh:

I dont see much function in the scoop idea at all. I would rather have a cowl with the back opened up to vent out warm air. Have you ever seen a contour with a cowl hood in the summer? It spits out hot air like crazy!.

An overly complex design that will only add price to an already cheap platform. You would need to have the ducts on the bottom of the hood, in an already cramped engine bay, and on top of that... There are dozens of intake combinations that wont make it a viable option.

On top of that, Hood scoops just don't look right on the contour. It doesn't suit the body lines at all. Same reason I think scoops look sweet on the s195 mustangs, but horribly with the broad & open shape of the S197's

I feel that the shaker is something that everyone is either going to hate or love. I'm big into Mopars and muscle cars so I may give this a shot with my old hood. With the design that I was thinking about the shaker scoop would aways be in the hood even when opened and the only thing on the intake would be a few pins and rollers that could be mounted on any intake. And if I can fabricate what I am thinking I would only need about .5" to .75" of clearance between the intake and hood.

Here's another idea....what about making a hood that would help accommodate a turbo or supercharger like the eclipse and talon hoods???

I dont see much function in the scoop idea at all. I would rather have a cowl with the back opened up to vent out warm air. Have you ever seen a contour with a cowl hood in the summer? It spits out hot air like crazy!.
I tested this earlier this summer (posted about it too). Even though I don't have a cowl'ed hood, I had removed the rubber seal and lifted my hood about 1/4". So the total cowl gap was a little over 1". I taped 3" long pieces of string 2" apart to see the air characteristics while driving. The only time I saw the strings moving towards me, was when I was stopped and the high speed fans were on. Any speed over 15mph (I think), most of them were sucked into the engine bay, while others were frayed from the turbulence caused by the under hood air attempting to escape and the pressurized cowl air attempting to gain entrance into the engine bay. After seeing this, I quickly re-installed the cowl rubber, and lowered my hood back to the OEM location.

My point is that the cowl'ed hood either does nothing to remove bay heat (while moving), or it will reduce cooling efficiency due to the turbulence -- the air is fighting to escape, instead of just exiting under the firewall.

we still need to figure out a way to get them access to a hood to base a mold off of. If we have to go the route of me taking my car to Topshop 6+ hours away for them to use my Fiberglass EVO hood as a mold I guess I will.

so before we all agree on a design and see how wild or original we can get with it I think we need to see what Tony and Justin say... also what price point are you willing to spend? These items would most likely be more than we were looking at before with Aerogear... perhaps almost twice that and there would have to be sincere comittment on the product.

Topshop made molds for eyelids.... only 200 were to be made and sold and we still havent hit that mark.

I'm lucky if I send 1-2 orders a week for those items now. I just dont want Topshop to get all excited and have you guys back out in the end or be all talk.

Price point, for me, would have to be close to the Aerogear deal. If that limits me to the Evo hood, I'm ok with that.

I tested this earlier this summer (posted about it too). Even though I don't have a cowl'ed hood, I had removed the rubber seal and lifted my hood about 1/4". So the total cowl gap was a little over 1". I taped 3" long pieces of string 2" apart to see the air characteristics while driving. The only time I saw the strings moving towards me, was when I was stopped and the high speed fans were on. Any speed over 15mph (I think), most of them were sucked into the engine bay, while others were frayed from the turbulence caused by the under hood air attempting to escape and the pressurized cowl air attempting to gain entrance into the engine bay. After seeing this, I quickly re-installed the cowl rubber, and lowered my hood back to the OEM location.

My point is that the cowl'ed hood either does nothing to remove bay heat (while moving), or it will reduce cooling efficiency due to the turbulence -- the air is fighting to escape, instead of just exiting under the firewall.

Demon did the same thing, and had positive things to say about the modification. I also think a properly designed cowl will perform the necessary function. Otherwise, the heat extractors like on the 03-04 Cobras are a functional choice, same as the evo hoods.

As for price, I'm not positive that any design would be popular enough to justify price with this platform.

If it does get to the point of production, PLEASE use an OEM hood to model off of... They tend to fit alot better than some of the FG and CF hoods ive seen.

we still need to figure out a way to get them access to a hood to base a mold off of. If we have to go the route of me taking my car to Topshop 6+ hours away for them to use my Fiberglass EVO hood as a mold I guess I will.

so before we all agree on a design and see how wild or original we can get with it I think we need to see what Tony and Justin say... also what price point are you willing to spend? These items would most likely be more than we were looking at before with Aerogear... perhaps almost twice that and there would have to be sincere comittment on the product.

Topshop made molds for eyelids.... only 200 were to be made and sold and we still havent hit that mark.

I'm lucky if I send 1-2 orders a week for those items now. I just dont want Topshop to get all excited and have you guys back out in the end or be all talk.

I think the fitment issues had a lot to do with the falling sale numbers (how many did they sell anyway). I think when people, including myself, started seeing pics of the product on the cars they were turned off from them a little. For me they weren't big enough and from what I've read its kinda hit or miss on the fitment. I still believe that Top Shop did a great job considering they didn't have a car to work with and I would still trust them to do other Contour products.

I agree with the price point being a big deal in the selling of these hoods also with using an OEM hood as the mold. Keeping the design simple with probably keep the cost down. Thats why I'm for a small cowl with maybe some side vents like the Cobra's or not. Maybe even a variant of the EVO hood

Thats why I'm for a small cowl with maybe some side vents like the Cobra's or not.

I really think that would be the winner. Things on these cars can't be too overdone or complex, the body lines are too smooth and clean for that.

Again, ok with the Evo too.

umm i still like the cowl with the duct. cowl spits out the hot air when stopped. and then should continue to push the air that comes through the duct when moving. or even a small slit in the cowl at the bottom that follows the grill line and lets air in. that way when moving it pushes hot air out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back