• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT dies to save pre98 SE**build thread**

Oh Toodles and kneeshaws pre98s. That post makes me want to cry.

RIP 3L SVT-kit-ed PRE98s :cry:
-todras
-kneeshaw
-beyondloadedse
-m!key(almost was finished)

Long way to go still but looking better. Over the winter I will work on getting the body ready for paint. For now I have replaced the Windshield, front bumper, drivers door, passenger door, front fender, rear bumper and side skirts. This fall (next few weeks) I will be getting the lowering springs installed along with newer struts.

Louie

Project_SeVT_208.jpg

Always wanted to do this, Satin Black! Now might be the time. And I am not talking about rattle can primer flat black but satin black with a bit of sheen but not much.

I might do a test panel this weekend to see if i like it. Maybe do three spots, one flat, satin and gloss black.

I have read 2 long thread on contour.org about flat black SVT's and it got ugly! Love/hate thing. If you have a picture on a Contour in Satin black, lets see it!! I don't think its been done, maybe flat black but not satin or semi gloss??

Like these.....
17-abr-08081.jpg

3109707238_7e60c1b35e_b.jpg

33221img3899122429lozk0.jpg

The windshield is the only thing I did not do myself. I have done it before and it really SUCKS when it cracks two days after you put it in. It was a used windshield but still had to get a second used one. By that time I could have got a new one. Ever since then I pay to have it done and get new. The new one installed was $259 or $189 or something low like that.

SATINNNNNNNNNN :drool: :drool:

Yep, me too..... I just sprayed a small section about the size of a football in satin black. the sheen is about like the Corvette. I was hoping for just a bit more gloss, maybe 10% more, but the satin black looks good so far! I will play around with it a post a picture later.

Pre 98 SVT bumper with Mirko splitter

Pre 98 SVT bumper with Mirko splitter

Just picked up a new Mirko splitter. This pre 98/SVT bumper is getting expensive. The Mirko splitter is going to be molded together at some point. For now its just bolted on. I need to work on getting it mounted better before I mold it on. Its perfect on the right side but the left is off by a 1/4". Might not fit perfect because of the 96 bumper molded to the SVT bumper??

I will snap some pictures later on today.

With all the possibilities of the mirko getting caught on things and the weakness of a pre98 molded to a post98, I would NEVER mold a mirko to that already fragile bumper. I am just saying, because I have seen what happens to these as you do as well having bought a damaged molded bumper.

With all the possibilities of the mirko getting caught on things and the weakness of a pre98 molded to a post98, I would NEVER mold a mirko to that already fragile bumper. I am just saying, because I have seen what happens to these as you do as well having bought a damaged molded bumper.

i agree i just redid the svt front bumper i got that someone molded and had a lot spray job. it was the biggest PITA !!! so im gonna agree w/ blu. but as for the rest of the car, its looking great. should be 5* with a fresh coat of paint!

Its almost ready now. I am just not ready. Its getting cold to try to do to much more. Spring, I should be ready. Plenty of time for the satin black idea to wear off!

Thinking about doing satin black., maybe?? Garage is heated, so I can do body work, just HATE sanding with all the dust in the closed up space. Plus the way the house is, there is a bed room above and if I even open a can of thinner, I get "whats what smell".....

I will sample paint the front bumper and Mirko satin black to see how it will look, maybe I will like it?? Might do that today.

Louie

Satin black

Satin black

Did a test sample of the satin paint on the front bumper and Mirko splitter today. Went ahead and did one of the side skirts too as the one I test painted will get replaced, so no big deal later. Same with the bumper, it needs tons of work, so painting it for now is not going to slow me down later. Just gives me a place to test out this satin paint. Here is the Mirko splitter being test fit. It’s off by 1/4" on the drivers side. I think it’s just a matter of me pulling it over and re bolting it down. Also got it ready for the test paint.
Project_SeVT_215.jpg

About 20 minutes after it was painter. Seems to have about the right shine. Defiantly needs to go on heavy next time. Seemed to go on dry today. So it’s a little thin in spots but enough to give an idea if I will like it or not.
Project_SeVT_218.jpg

I don’t pass the Coke can test. Its about 4 ½” clearance. I scraped the S*** out of it the first time out of the driveway. I think I NEED a skid plate and start taking every incline at an angle. I don't think the lowering springs I have are going to drop it much more than were it's at now, maybe less than an 1"??
Project_SeVT_221.jpg

I drove around this afternoon a photographed it under different lighting. Here it is in the shade. The satin looks best under flat light, it seem seems to bring out the soft highlights better.
Project_SeVT_222.jpg

Direct evening sun. Also take a look at the side skirt, its painted satin black too.
Project_SeVT_230.jpg

And I saved the best for last, just as the sun went down. This was a test exposure for the “car rig shoot” I will attempt on Thursday. A car rig is a photographic set up/effect that makes the car look like its going 100mph and is still dead sharp and the background is blurred. I am building the car rig now, can’t wait to try it out!!
Project_SeVT_261.jpg

Louie

Back