• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT dies to save pre98 SE**build thread**

Looking good!

I wouldn't paint the E1's, just clean them up. Lots of work you are doing but well worth it for a pre-98. We are an even more rare breed than the SVT owners :D - JOE

Pre98 FTMFW!
newpics004.jpg

joe,your hood bump is worse than mine was:shocked:. i used a heat gun to warm it and apply pressure to flatten it.
yes painted e1's,mnb interior,svt engine w/headers,and sct tune,coilovers..etc etc

It was cold out :blackeye:. Hood is coming off to hang on the garage wall, I have a replacement OEM one here that just needs paint. Will be ready for SZ.

How's the build going OP?
I actually like the look of the original "box" style intake in there, makes me kinda want to switch back. Really keeps the engine bay cleaner looking......

How's the build going OP?
I actually like the look of the original "box" style intake in there, makes me kinda want to switch back. Really keeps the engine bay cleaner looking......

You like it so much I will trade you!! To be honest, it has one broken clip and is ready for the junk pile. For now I have the SVT intake pulled and ready to go.

How's the build going OP?.....Pretty good. I am making progress. The SVT wheels and newer Goodyear’s are on. That made a big difference. Drives nice! Looks wise, it needs lowered now!! I can drive in comfort with heat!! And the rear sway bar does not bang against the sway bar mount. That was getting really old.

The side skirt on the drivers’ side is just OK. It’s part torn in half at the front. Installed up OK and looks OK, not perfect, so I may look for a new one here.

Rear bumper sag…yes! Just need a second pair of hands to lift on it while I snug it up.

Anyone know what’s needed to mount the SVT gauge cluster in a 96? Search comes up with; it wont work to take it all apart and swap gauges out one by one to it will only partially work. It was mentioned above that I need to scrap off some part of the green circuit on the back and it should work….
picture.php

The exhaust should go on next. I am just to figure out what to do while its out. I could work on it very easy BEFORE I put it in the SE. For sure remove the resonator and I think the SVT cat is bigger, so find a way for that to happen…2 bolt to a 3 bolt or flex pipe??? How do you remove the center bolt on the bracket?(red arrow)
picture.php

The rear drivers door will also go on next chance I get the SE back into the garage. Right now the SVT is up on jack stands in the garage. Its looking like zero degrees the next few days!!

picture.php

The neighbors/friends are now asking question!! What happen is the most common. Funny, because when it was all banged up and so close to just being junked, nobody even noticed the poor old Contour. Does not help when its 4 different colors!
picture.php

ehhh...that might not work. iirc for them to work in the pre98's it had to be from a early 98 svt. i'll check the old boards and see what i can find

the layout on that one is different that the 98 i used,and for the write up that rick made a few years back

unfortunately you cant just swap out the gauges, at least not the speedo. if you compare the 2 its really obvious. basically, the 96 will only have 3 pins on the back of the speedo while that SVT cluster has 6 (2 sets of 3).

Yea, I have the SVT cluster all apart. Looks like all but the Speedy will work. Now, what if I cut the 3 pins that will not fit the 96 cluster. So then it would fit. Looks like one of the ones that could be cut off says FUEL on the board. That’s coming in from somewhere else on the 96 so its not needed??? Thoughts??

What I need is the wiring diagram from a 99 and a 96 cluster to see what each connection function is. I have the 96 Ford service CD...just need to find it and reload on the old computer. Using a Mac now.

Louie

To use the SVT cluster in the '96:

Speedo: Cut off the 3 pins from the SVT speedo that don't have holes in the '96 pcb

Tach, temp, fuel: you are just taking the SVT face and needles, and putting them on the '96 coils, so electronics wise, only the speedo has SVT electronics, all other gauges should be '96 electronics.

I had mine running for 2 years in the Mystique mentioned in that link with no problems.

SVT gauges are IN the 96 SE!! THANKS KyleH..... Works perfect. Speedometer set with GPS. All that was needed was to swap the SVT E1 white faces from the fuel, temp and tachometer to the pre98 SE gauges. Then mount them back into the 96 cluster. The complete Speedometer from the SVT went right in as well with a bit of work. Just had to trim the mounting post with a razor and cut off 3 of the 6 connection pins. The ones to the side.

I will fill up with fuel in the morning to set the Fuel gauge. Tried out the SE white needles instead of the SVT orange ones...kinda cool all white!

Thanks for all the help so far!!!!!
Louie

A bit new here but how does the SE side skirt attach to the car? I like the look of the SE skirts. Nice build by the way!!

A bit new here but how does the SE side skirt attach to the car? I like the look of the SE skirts. Nice build by the way!!

The SE and SVT side skirts attach the same. There are long aluminum clips that are riveted to the rocker panel on the Pre98 SE, SE sport post98 and SVT. They are arranged so that they face upward. The skirt has a plastic tap that fits down in between the aluminum clips and the rocker. There are also plastic screw in taps on the bottom of the skirt that go into the rocker. Four more mounting spots finish it off, 1 into each jack point and 1 more on each end that are small screws.

Louie

When you get done with it, i wanna come up and see it!

I also need some parts..ill have to see what you have when your done ;)

Back