• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Started Project Cheap Cougar... not to be confused with Free SVT

More working on it:

I cleaned the crap out of the interior on Friday. Took the seats and console out and scrubbed them as well as the carpet. Found like 7 dollars lol

I replaced the blower motor resistor yesterday, now have all four speeds for the fan :) Added a hatch spring because it didn't seem to want to release when you hit the button, now it flies unlatched :cool:

Also had my four tires balanced, found two bent rims that will be going in the back to keep vibration down :laugh: That's probably why it shook so bad on the way home too.

I'll probably start getting ready to pull the engine soon.

More working on it:

I cleaned the crap out of the interior on Friday. Took the seats and console out and scrubbed them as well as the carpet. Found like 7 dollars lol

I replaced the blower motor resistor yesterday, now have all four speeds for the fan :) Added a hatch spring because it didn't seem to want to release when you hit the button, now it flies unlatched :cool:

Also had my four tires balanced, found two bent rims that will be going in the back to keep vibration down :laugh: That's probably why it shook so bad on the way home too.

I'll probably start getting ready to pull the engine soon.

I will give you my SVT engine if you get me a 3.0L and install it :laugh:

I thought he just had the lower end end of one and was looking for some upper parts. :crazy:

Yup I have the lower end with the heads :cool: I just need the cams and valve covers, the Intake manifolds can be upgraded anytime relatively easily :)

Due to budgeting I'm skipping the headers for a while. I don't really need them in my daily driver and that's $330 I'm saving. So all I need to pick up now is the cams, clutch, and a bunch o gaskets.

If you were going to put in a 3L I'd tell you to keep your cams and upper components ;)

Yup I have the lower end with the heads :cool: I just need the cams and valve covers, the Intake manifolds can be upgraded anytime relatively easily :)

Due to budgeting I'm skipping the headers for a while. I don't really need them in my daily driver and that's $330 I'm saving. So all I need to pick up now is the cams, clutch, and a bunch o gaskets.

If you were going to put in a 3L I'd tell you to keep your cams and upper components ;)

Yes and no. I would like to keep them cams and stuff but the ease and cost of throwing in a straight 3.0L is what I would end up doing, most likly. Not only that but I rarely get high enough into the RPM's to hit peak hp and torque....so the reg 3.0L, with its broader torque curve, would be good for me.

tony, just gut the precats on teh stock manifolds...... and contact blackcoog. he might have a 2.5" catback exhaust for that thing for sale ;)

tony, just gut the precats on teh stock manifolds...... and contact blackcoog. he might have a 2.5" catback exhaust for that thing for sale ;)

Hmmmm I planned on gutting the precats and throwing my MSDS y pipe on there but did you say catback? :cool: I'll shoot him a PM :laugh:

PS got all my cruise control parts today minus the brackets for the module :blackeye: I'll have to get a hold of them too then I should be rockin. Maybe I'll pull the motor in the next week or two, cams are ordered up ;)

Bah, I'm 6'5" and I sat in the back of my '96 Probe on multiple occasions. Yeah, it wasn't my first option, but it wasn't awful if the front seat was scooted forward a bit.

I think your crazy. :crazy: If I sit in the back of either car I have to have my head at an angle and if I were stuck back there for more than a little while I'd definitely start complaining :laugh:

So who wants to come swap my 2.5 for me on this? :cool: I should be pulling it into the garage again this weekend and get my nicer cd player swapped into it and have just about everything OTHER than the engine taken care of. Just transferred the title today and got my new plates. I should have my SVT cams here Monday and the tranny fluid I ordered by Tuesday.

Does anyone have a set of Black 2.5 Valve covers locally? I don't really like the boring silver and don't feel like replacing them down the road someday. The only ones I could find down at U-Pull-R-Parts must've been 95s or something as the secondaries on those were vacuum operated and mine is definitely not so I'd like valve covers with the mounting holes for da IMRC :crazy: I also have a slightly better junkyard I'll check out next week with hopefully some better luck.

just take them off, clean them up, and paint them black! i had to replace one of mine after i got the car (i broke mine when changing the plugs when i replaced the plug wires (stupid 2.5 vanity cover!)

i painted mine and it looks great.

Let me know when you think you're going to pull it. If I'm available I could come give you a hand.....I need the experience :blackeye:

Haha sounds good. I'll let you know when I get around to it. Maybe I'll do it next weekend or something as I can start putting together the other one and get this one ready to come out in the meantime. Either way I'll let you know when it's gonna go down.

I thought about painting the valve covers but these seem so rough and I don't know that paint would look smooth on them?? Which ones did you paint? A set of Contour ones or Cougar ones? I think the cougar/3L ones are the only ones that didn't come with the nice smooth black finish on them.

use a D/A on them.

i'll be just down the street if you want help with the swap. it shouldnt take more than 8 hours or so. ;)

Hey man, yeah...if you need another set of hands I would be willing to help out. I have no experience with a swap in a contour/cougar, but that would be a good chance at gaining some. Just let me know man.

someone bring beer ;)

This will not end well :help:

:laugh: Just kidding. I'll give you a call if I need someone to come install the alternator muwahahahaha and maybe I'll have you install the exhaust manifolds with the engine in too :p

I think I'm going to start into it early this week (possibly tomorrow), hopefully pull the engine and tranny sometime Friday night, then hopefully have the new heart bolted in by Sunday PM. I can finish the rest of the small details during the week no problem.

Before I'll be ready to drop the new one in I'm going to have to go visit Steve a time or two :cool:

Back