• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Started Project Cheap Cougar... not to be confused with Free SVT

Redlineracer12

Addicted CEG'er
Ok so starting to get cracking on this Cougar project I've got a hold of. Boy do I realize that they have just as many problems as your typical Contour :blackeye: BUT dont' let that stop me from having a good time

So first things first, before I'm going to be pulling that engine I better get the dust off it.

Before:
100_1410.jpg

100_1411.jpg

100_1412.jpg

Plan of Attack:
100_1415.jpg

100_1416.jpg

After:
100_1417.jpg

100_1418.jpg

100_1419.jpg

Next up I need to reallllly scrub up these wheels it came with. They're aftermarket Italian wheels made by an AT Italia company (you can get their wheels from tirerack but apparently not these anymore)
Before:

100_1413.jpg

The inside of these wheels were caked with tar, gross!

100_1414.jpg

After lots of scrubbing and simple green FTW! Try not to focus on the curb rash and scratches! DOH! Oh well good enough for winter wheels.

100_1428.jpg

100_1429.jpg

I had enough time to putz with the trunk too which was full of dirt and other crud. So I pulled out the carpet and cleaned it all up. You don't want to see those before pics... so here are the afters. I'll probably scrub the carpet for the trunk when I pull the seats and do the interior up nicely.

100_1421.jpg

100_1420.jpg

100_1422.jpg

So now that thats all taken care of I snapped a few more shots of the dry engine bay. Much better I might add:

100_1430.jpg

100_1431.jpg

And a picture of the two CDW27's at home in the garage.

100_1432.jpg

One last one just for giggles, does anyone else find this picture funny?

100_1427.jpg

Pretty impressive work, especially on the engine bay. I love that warning label - but IT'S TOTALLY ACCURATE!

The back seats are just useless because the roof line is so low. If the Cougar had a normal roof line, the back seats would be RX-8-style roomy. But in order to make enough headroom for humans over 4 feet tall, they had to move them forward and take away all the legroom. So they split the difference, and you get ripped on BOTH. As it is, about 5-feet-6 is the maximum size for any back-seat passenger.

Makes for a huge trunk, though...

In my talon, the back seat was the same. the only person who could sit back there fine was my ex-gf. She was only 5'4" and 115 lbs, so basically children only.

In my talon, the back seat was the same. the only person who could sit back there fine was my ex-gf. She was only 5'4" and 115 lbs, so basically children only.

It's not that you can't sit back there... just need to tilt your head a bit :) My probe is no better either. Darn hatchbacks ;)

Catfish Camaros are the same way I rode in my buddies once and could sit in the back seat and look out the hatch facing forward. That warning is funny.

So what was your procedure? My engine bay looks like somsone pooped in it and then drove it down a dirt road behind a semi... :crazy:

Just spray on the simple green, eat a samich, and the blast it off?

So what was your procedure? My engine bay looks like somsone pooped in it and then drove it down a dirt road behind a semi... :crazy:

Just spray on the simple green, eat a samich, and the blast it off?

Correct :) I didn't eat a sandwich but yeah you can let it sit for a while :laugh: I simple greened, blasted, simple greened, and blasted to make sure I didn't miss any spots the first time

Correct :) I didn't eat a sandwich but yeah you can let it sit for a while :laugh: I simple greened, blasted, simple greened, and blasted to make sure I didn't miss any spots the first time

Did you cover anything in the engine bay? Previous owner lived down a dirt road....it is a little dusty. LOL

Last edited:
Did you cover anything in the engine bay? Previous owner lived down a dirt road....it is a little dusty. LOL

Nah :) If you have an open air filter or are doing it on a car with a disty (neither in my case) I'd cover them up, otherwise most of it can handle a little water.

Thanks for the response... I needed to do that like 3 months ago. I'll make sure to do it before the snow flies :cool:

So are you putting that SVT motor in it? ;)

Yes :cool: Give me about a month to come up with the money. I'm picking up a set of used SVT Cams from someone on NECO here next week then just need money for gaskets, new SVT clutch, and headers :D After that it could be on the road again.

Then I will desperately need to sell the probe after that to try and make my last semester's worth of tuition :laugh:

Back