• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

RWD CSVT: PRT's CDW-27 RWD conversion build thread.

The whole assembly will drop out of the bottom as it's all mounted to a custom subframe.

for yours i'm assuming?

creating a custom subframe that will, more or less, use the 4 stock mounting points of the original subframe? hmmmmm

obviously a large roll cage spanning the two subframes is in order. If you even use the subframe in the rear.

I am SO waiting for you to start cutting into it. I wish you were way far into it so I can have a better idea of what the hell i'm up against.

;)

Can't wait for more progress.

Keep an eye out for a few more small updates. Customer cars are done for the most part so I'm jumping back into all 3 shop projects. Primary goal as of right now is just more bay dis assembly in preparation for building the new sub frame and mounting the engine and trans in the bay. Next will be front suspension hopefully incorporating the new Mustang knuckles.

Pushrod/pullrod

Pushrod/pullrod

Just curious about the rear suspension geometry. Are you planning on using a pushrod or a pullrod setup mounted to the rear uprights. Each has their own CG/roll center advantagesdue to coilover location and compression/rebound speed/rate depends on the rocker ratio. I would like to see a drawing of the design........................

Didn't the AWD Mazda 6 have an IRS setup in the rear with a dif, the 6 being based on the Mondeo platform....................

FGM

Just curious about the rear suspension geometry. Are you planning on using a pushrod or a pullrod setup mounted to the rear uprights. Each has their own CG/roll center advantagesdue to coilover location and compression/rebound speed/rate depends on the rocker ratio. I would like to see a drawing of the design........................

Didn't the AWD Mazda 6 have an IRS setup in the rear with a dif, the 6 being based on the Mondeo platform....................

FGM

I have yet to get that deep into the rear suspension setup. I'm focusing on getting the front end 100% first before I even buy the IRS. I chose the Cobra IRS for a few reasons, but primarily it's strength and aftermarket support. If I really wanted to I could import the rear drive assembly from the Mondeo as it would essentially bolt right in.

I'm just trying to help. I've been racing for 25 years everything from Formula Atlantic to Daytona Prototypes and have a lot of experience in building cars as well as setting them up. You might want to look at Kenny Brown's tubular upper and lower a-arms for the Cobra rear suspension. They eliminate about 1/2 of the unsprung weight of the bulky stock cast/stamped pieces. Suspension reaction time is critical to the unsprung weight.

I am an Engineer and an aircraft A&P by trade and using my Solidworks program have designed some trick tubular front a-arms and toe links for the CSVT with bump stop, anti-dive, camber/caster adjustments and spherical rod ends and spherical bearings. Just haven't gotten around to making a jig and building them, too many other priorities.

FGM

I'm just trying to help. I've been racing for 25 years everything from Formula Atlantic to Daytona Prototypes and have a lot of experience in building cars as well as setting them up. You might want to look at Kenny Brown's tubular upper and lower a-arms for the Cobra rear suspension. They eliminate about 1/2 of the unsprung weight of the bulky stock cast/stamped pieces. Suspension reaction time is critical to the unsprung weight.

I am an Engineer and an aircraft A&P by trade and using my Solidworks program have designed some trick tubular front a-arms and toe links for the CSVT with bump stop, anti-dive, camber/caster adjustments and spherical rod ends and spherical bearings. Just haven't gotten around to making a jig and building them, too many other priorities.

FGM

I understand, didn't intent to come off gruff. I appreciate your input and look forward to seeing what you're putting together.

Just realized this hasn't been updated in a while....so here's some pics for you to stare at. I'll explain them later. :)

Got the trans/bell adapter back from CNC a long time ago....

IMGP2354.jpg

IMGP2355.jpg

IMGP2358.jpg

IMGP2359.jpg

IMGP2360.jpg

Looking fantastic. Question though... what's with the 'DO NOT REMOVE' on the front of the LS oil pan?

Looking fantastic. Question though... what's with the 'DO NOT REMOVE' on the front of the LS oil pan?

It's a front cover to the oil pan's sump. The whole front sump extension will get cut off and the sump itself widened for volume as the extension lengthens the engine/trans asm by 4 1/2". It's not a big deal on the lingoln because the PS/WP/AC ect...all hand off the front of the motor, but I have plans for the space in front of the motor, so it's gotta go.

So as of today there has been a change in plans. Originally we had intended to use the '00 Mustang front knuckles we purchased. The problem with them as we've discovered is that they have built in caster that does not play well with the Contour upper strut mount. We've been doing some cross breeding with Nissan S13 parts for a camber solution on the track car, and have decided to rob a few more parts from the S13 to be incorporated into the front suspension of the RWD car.....Just once more vehicle to add to the spreadsheet of what to order replacement parts for when something wears out on this build. Now, with our front subframe design we intend to use off the shelf available mustang tubular LCA's up front, something at may cost us a few hundred bucks, but save a ton of time in the long run. It's still amazing to me how much of this build will consist of off the shelf available parts. it makes life a lot easier on my end.

As far as deadlines/goals, we will have a booth at the StanceWI yearly show again and intend to have the car there, with the front end 100%. Not only that, but we hope to have it wired and running, wich means all that would remain is to order and mod/install the rear end, and have a driveshaft built(obviously that's made to sound way simpler than it will be, but still) RWD Contour in 2012 or bust!

I'd like to suggest you make some kind of fund raiser to help this project along, maybe a custom cut vinyl sticker for our cars.

Back