• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

RWD CSVT: PRT's CDW-27 RWD conversion build thread.

are you sure you can use the stock steering wheel with this?

lol.jk. but seriously, moar pics! less posts like the one above!

conanlegendary.png

Last edited:
I had a great experience with the Maximum Motorsports IRS upgrades. For this build in particular, I'm guessing the adjustable aluminum pinion bushings will be very handy should you need to correct the drivetrain geometry after the retrofit. Good luck and let me know if you have any IRS questions!

I've had both the MM IRS bushings and Bruce's FTBR bushing kit in my Cobra now, and Bruce's stuff is hands down better than MM's bushings. I say this with being a die hard MM fan as well... but FTBR does things with their kit that MM simply overlooked. Both kits are much better than than the stock rubber that's for sure ;)

The Mark VIII and Cobra IRS housings are the exact same... I'm not sure if the Mark VIII's came with Trac Lok or not in them. Out of all the IRS units built the 03/04 Cobra IRS is the most desireable as it came with a 31 spline differential and the most robust halfshafts. The rest of the rear end hard parts are all the same. If you happen to get a rear end that came from a 99 Cobra be sure to check if the knuckles had the recall done for the cross-axis joints as the ones that didn't have the recall done can't be replaced IIRC.

Josh are you planning on building a custom subframe or modifying the exsisting Cobra one? The rear of the subframe would be pretty easy to modify to make it work in the Contour body, but the front mounts would take some work to get them to fit as they are. I'm thinking you'd probably cut the forward mounts off and build something easier to fit in the Contour unibody.

I also talked to Bruce about doing a set of two piece rotors for the Contour in order to do a Cobra BBK upgrade on them... he said he'd do it but they'd be pricey for a set. The fronts I told him are more or less stock Cobra rotors that need a 4 X 108 pattern, the rears he'd need one to use as a model in order to get the dimensions for the hat right.

Let me know if you need any help with the IRS stuff... I've probably forgotten more about that rear end than a lot of people know :laugh:

Shannon

I've had both the MM IRS bushings and Bruce's FTBR bushing kit in my Cobra now, and Bruce's stuff is hands down better than MM's bushings. I say this with being a die hard MM fan as well... but FTBR does things with their kit that MM simply overlooked. Both kits are much better than than the stock rubber that's for sure ;)

The Mark VIII and Cobra IRS housings are the exact same... I'm not sure if the Mark VIII's came with Trac Lok or not in them. Out of all the IRS units built the 03/04 Cobra IRS is the most desireable as it came with a 31 spline differential and the most robust halfshafts. The rest of the rear end hard parts are all the same. If you happen to get a rear end that came from a 99 Cobra be sure to check if the knuckles had the recall done for the cross-axis joints as the ones that didn't have the recall done can't be replaced IIRC.

Josh are you planning on building a custom subframe or modifying the exsisting Cobra one? The rear of the subframe would be pretty easy to modify to make it work in the Contour body, but the front mounts would take some work to get them to fit as they are. I'm thinking you'd probably cut the forward mounts off and build something easier to fit in the Contour unibody.

I also talked to Bruce about doing a set of two piece rotors for the Contour in order to do a Cobra BBK upgrade on them... he said he'd do it but they'd be pricey for a set. The fronts I told him are more or less stock Cobra rotors that need a 4 X 108 pattern, the rears he'd need one to use as a model in order to get the dimensions for the hat right.

Let me know if you need any help with the IRS stuff... I've probably forgotten more about that rear end than a lot of people know :laugh:

Shannon

All of your input is greatly appreciated. I've spoken briefly with FTBR and will take things further once I have my IRS in hand. I intend to work with them as they are local and I've had some great talks with Bruce in the past. The plan is to run the 03/04 Cobra IRS. As for mounting, I have a few things in mind, but will save that for when the time comes. Goal is to first get engine and trans installed 100% and then move the car to my other shop to set the rear end.

I will be putting together the beginnings of the actual build thread tomorrow. It's been a long day of great progress and quite literally, all that's left to do is make a mock-up bell housing to trans adapter before we have a full drivetrain assembly read to mock up for mounting in the car.

Last edited:
Whats going on with the oil filter?

The LS driver's side engine mount is located right over where the oil filter typically screws on. What Ford did was incoporate the mount, cooler and oil filter relocation into one cast bracket, and it's located where it is for steering rack clearance. Should I get my hands on another mount I will be looking into cutting the mount off and having 37 degree fitting welded on and relocating it elsewhere.

Last time I was at the junkyard there were 3 Lincoln ls. I get back into the US tonight so if you need anything ill be up and running soon.

Back