• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Reverse Lock Out Mod

Reverse Lock Out Mod

• Do It!

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Don't Do It!

Votes: 13 52.0%

• Total voters

Necronommicon

CEG'er
Ok so heres what I'm thinking. Making an aluminum rear lockout but with a T shape to it, sort of like my '76 cutlass. Has anyone done this? does it sound retarded? am I retarded. Maybe, but what do you think good idea or bad idea? BTW this is my first poll so sorry for the lameness.

Last edited:
to bypass the reverse lockout just take out the block that the bolt goes through that hold the tower on. you will see what im talking about

Ok so heres what I'm thinking. Making an aluminum rear lockout but with a T shape to it, sort of like my '76 cutlass. Has anyone done this? does it sound retarded? am I retarded. Maybe, but what do you think good idea or bad idea? BTW this is my first poll so sorry for the lameness.

Great idea, I had one of those on my 66 Dodge Dart GT / 273 Hi-Pro posi track, 4 sp, very fun car....... :laugh:

80681-B32.jpg

Like this, see the smaller T- handle in front. I think he wants to add this to his reverse lock out.

I have had this shifter and now have the Hammer on my Mustang. I dont like all tha much, and i think it would be even more awkward on a manual sifter.

Like this, see the smaller T- handle in front. I think he wants to add this to his reverse lock out.

I have had this shifter and now have the Hammer on my Mustang. I dont like all tha much, and i think it would be even more awkward on a manual sifter.

This is not what he is talking about not even close!:nonono:

80681-B32.jpg

hahaha, actually thats what popped into my mind too. Lets hope it doenst look anything remotely close to that. Honestly, anything has as a bar for your entire hand like that belongs in the muscle cars. Knobs only in these cars IMHO.

As stated previously... What's the point? Are you going to forget that your car has 5 forward gears instead of 6 or what? Ever since mine was rebuilt, someone lost the piece that locks it out on my car, so I've never really had one..... I got over it....

instead of a little circle that our fingers go in to pull up the reverse lock out, it has a little t handle that you use to pull it up..

Is there any way to get the reverse lock out block? It (lock out "block" type thing) was lost during a rebuild. Is it sold anywhere? How would one re-install it?
I don't plan on forgetting my car has only 5 fwd gears, but my wife drives the car occasionally......

theres a much stronger reverse lockout built into the trans that forces you to go to neutral before going to reverse. its not physically possible to go to reverse from 5th. i suspect youll break the shift cables first.

You don't even need to remove the block. To take out the reverfse lockout all you need to do is unscrew the knob and pull of the boot and remove the plastic assemblie on the shift lever.

Is there any way to get the reverse lock out block? It (lock out "block" type thing) was lost during a rebuild. Is it sold anywhere? How would one re-install it?
I don't plan on forgetting my car has only 5 fwd gears, but my wife drives the car occasionally......

Hahaha this made me laugh.

To the OP, I think that would be pretty cool actually...would proly be the first in a contour. I dunno about chrome though...maybe black..

Back