• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rev limiter removal

2000SE

Veteran CEG'er
Is it possible to remove the rev limiter, or possible to tune it to a higher rpm?
I was just curious.

you will have to get a chip or flash the PCM to set the rev limiter higher. you can also remove the governer when you do that as well as gain a few horses.

Not sure if you have an ATX or not, but if you do, I'd be careful with the rev limiter. It is much more important to an ATX. Notice when the car is not in gear the limiter is really low. This protects the tranny from severe possible damage.

Not sure if you have an ATX or not, but if you do, I'd be careful with the rev limiter. It is much more important to an ATX. Notice when the car is not in gear the limiter is really low. This protects the tranny from severe possible damage.

yes the atx has a 4k rpm rev limiter in park and also perhaps neutral

you can have it removed during tuning or using a chip

Yep i have an ATX. I was just wondering about it for when i do the JR SC down the road. Didn't know if a couple more hundred RPM's would do anything for me.

Well I don't think it'll be worth it. The SC is enough strain on the engine. I think upping the rev limiter would shorten the engine's life even more... Just my $.02 but I'm certainly no expert.

Well I don't think it'll be worth it. The SC is enough strain on the engine. I think upping the rev limiter would shorten the engine's life even more... Just my $.02 but I'm certainly no expert.
I wouldn't worry about the engine revving that high... i would worry more about the transmission.

I wouldn't worry about the engine revving that high... i would worry more about the transmission.

Crap sorry that's what I was talking about :troutslap:
I meant to say tranny haha. These engines are solid as he!! and I'm sure it could handle the abuse...mine does :D

So i dont care about my tranny does anyone got a chip or something like a location to buy one?

:blackeye:

Search. There are chips you can get posted on these forums...

i donno what im looking for when it comes to that.........hell if its because were saving the forums im me on aim if anything Chas937

go to the hardware store and pick up a replacement socket for a lamp . then go look behind your glove box for your ecu and you will see what looks like a wall socket just plug your replacement socket and your good to go

**** not responsible for your dumba$$ actually doing something like that

money aint a thing ...... any links at all?

If money ain't a thing...

1.Why do you drive a Contour?
2.Why is it a Zetec?
3.You will soon realize that if even the bill won't stop you, the work to replace an ATX is wildly time-consuming, and stupid difficult.

Have a nice day:cool:

Im not asking for insults and proving me wrong all i want is my damn rev limiter gone is that so much to ask without all the bs post? can someone with full respect help me even though in my eyes i know the tranny will go .....and whatever else....common when you do neutral drops even know the tranny knocks hard and being an automatic at that.......does it seem like i give 2 sh*ts?????????

CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH WHAT IM LOOKING FOR????????

Im not asking for insults and proving me wrong all i want is my damn rev limiter gone is that so much to ask without all the bs post? can someone with full respect help me even though in my eyes i know the tranny will go .....and whatever else....common when you do neutral drops even know the tranny knocks hard and being an automatic at that.......does it seem like i give 2 sh*ts?????????

CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH WHAT IM LOOKING FOR????????

We all love our contours and wouldn't want to see one brutally thrashed, so no, no we can't.

Back