• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

crankcase vent box?

TRicker

Hard-core CEG'er
the box between the heads..... where does the tube go on the 2.5L? there's nothing on my 2.5 intake manifolds that it could hook up to. any ideas would be great i am about to put the UIM on, the engine is in the car.

Sounds like the PCV? btw the contour already has one, so the one on the 3.0 is not needed.....

the one off the 3L is the same thing but the tube is different. the hose that went under the throttle body is hooked up but there is still nowhere for the tube from the box between the heads to go.

it's kinda hard now, i have it all together. just the tube is sticking out with nowhere to go. it's for crankcase ventilation but the tube has nowhere to hoook up. i'll get a pic of what you can see.

There should be a hose that hooks to it and on the other end of that hose the pcv valve fits in. The pcv valve will have two places for other hoses to attach, one will be a short hose that will go the a metal pipe on the bottom of the UIM by the TB and the other will have an accordian type tube that goes to the firewall somewhere, I believe this is a vent of sorts for the fuel tank.

You'll need the right angle tube which terminates at the opposite end with the PCV valve. The top of the PCV valve has a T fitting. 1 end goes to the EFE line and the other goes to the fitting on the bottom of the UIM below and rearward (towards the firewall) of the t-body.

When vacuum is present the gas and oil fumes are pulled in to the UIM for digestion by the motor. This is what causes all the crud build up...

The PCV "box" on the 3L has a PCV integrated in it. On the old 2.5 it has a regular looking PCV that most are used to seeing.

Make sure you don't double up PCVs!!!!

Last edited:
The PCV "box" on the 3L has a PCV integrated in it. On the old 2.5 it has a regular looking PCV that most are used to seeing.

What happens to those who do?!

I gather it's not a throw away piece (PCV valve) like on the 2.5 because you have to remove a cylinder head to get that puppy off as I recall....

Ok this is news to me, where is the PCV on the 3L???? There was a plate on my 3L that covered the place where I put the PCV box from my 2.5L. I took off the plate and put the 2.5L PCV on the 3L. This might explain why my car doesn't idle right at all:help: :nonono:

The PCV is in the little snout that comes off the box. So you could use some of the stock 2.5 tube pieces I would guess to fab it up. I have a full 3L so I didn't have to mess with that. Just everything else. LOL!

Oh, the 2005 Taurus motor I had didn't even had the box. It had a plate over it. I just took the whole 2.5L assembly and transferred it over to the 3L.

PCV-3.0 Engines.
The oil sperator/combined PCV on engines up to around 2004 is a 'twist lock' type that fits into the oil sperator.
2004+ engines have a blanking plate and do not use the old style PCV set up. On these the 'clean air' enters the engine thru the front(l/h) cam cover and vents out thru the rear (r/h) cam cover...the rear cam cover has the PCV in the cam cover before the hose to the intake manifold. These two 3.0 systems should be used 'as is' as they a better than the old 2.5 set up...just FYI, TH

The 2005 Taurus cam covers arn't compatible with our engines tho. Well at least they don't have the mounting point for the coil pack so if we wanted to go with a split port setup we still have to use the 2.5L valve covers and utilize the 2.5L PCV correct?

...2005 3.0 .use the cam covers that come with the engine.Use a pre coil on plug coil bracket mounted on the FRONT cam cover,use a 2000 level coil tower & wires.Extend the coil multi pin wires.Coil clears,oil filler cap clears...Retain the PCV system as is ..TH

i pulled off all the tubing so i was just down to the box, put in the long piece of tubing off the 3L box, and got hose and ran that from the tube to the PCV on the 2.5L.

so i'm assuming i basically have the same thing (the box looked exactly the same) with a custom tube from the box to the PCV under the throttle body. either way it seems to idle and run fine. if i had two on it, how could i tell?

Back