• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pwntbywombat 3L Build Thread

Man that's a shame. If you tightened it enough to break it that much I feel the stress on the bearings probably destroyed them, and if it didn't, it probably will after the motor runs for a few minutes.

It looks like you still haven't answered fox's question...after you broke the bellhousing, does the motor turn?

Wow! This thread is full of 3L build fail. Wouldn't be surprised of the engine crank is fubar or will be once running not to mention the trans input shaft. No wonder it won't start.

+1, but there have been some "problems" with this build I've never heard of from any one ever. problems like "the help" separating the trans cases because they thought those were the bell housing bolts.

I'm all for this kid getting his car going. but the way its been going, I doubt we'll see that day unless some direct supervision by a knowledgeable wrench turner is applied liberally.

check all your wiring harness connections. i didnt have spark when i did my last 3L and it was because one connection wasnt snapped in all the way. went back through and found it in about ten minutes. :)

oh lord

I think this build took a wrong turn some were around that pile of AC lines on the garage floor.

comon! i took out my AC. of course i did it correctly.

I have also seen were a battery cable corrodes inside the insulator. I would take your starter to your local parts store and have them check it. Usually its free. Also make sure the gear inside your starter turns, it should only turn one way. Then try turning your engine by hand. That way you have eliminated two possibilities.

he already did that! dont you guys remember, it is even in this thread!

I realize that, I was saying that it would be crazy if he did all that work, he forgot to cut the bushing, and he ended up trashing the bearings because of it......

definetly took a wrong turn around the time the ac parts were laying on the floor :D.

I think you have a wire problem. Dielectric grease all connections and go through them all.

Oh, I wanted to add this from your original post, looks like your are going to have to get another 3L because this one doesn't start just like your 2.5L didn't :rolleyes:
So the 2.5 decided to die. So, i decided to try a 3L. I'm not sure what happened to the 2.5, but it doesn't start. Doesn't turn over. In my opinion, just an excuse to get a 3L. I ordered one from LQK, it arrived today. So here we go! I'm going with a port matched set up with SVT cams. So here goes.

I realize that, I was saying that it would be crazy if he did all that work, he forgot to cut the bushing, and he ended up trashing the bearings because of it......

definetly took a wrong turn around the time the ac parts were laying on the floor :D.

I think you have a wire problem. Dielectric grease all connections and go through them all.

Oh, I wanted to add this from your original post, looks like your are going to have to get another 3L because this one doesn't start just like your 2.5L didn't :rolleyes:

haha i didnt notice that was the reason he did a 3L. sounds like a lot of work not to fix the original problem.....

thats like doing this:

"my battery light is on, my car isnt charging, it is a great excuse to buy a new battery and wiring. oh man, i changed the battery and the wiring and it still doesnt charge!"

oops, forgot to fix the original problem.....

I think he needs to start with the three big plugs on the passenger side of the motor. Pull them apart, dielectric grease those, clip them together and try to start the car with someone sqeezing the plugs tight together...... Easiest to start with and the car might turn over.

mean the CMP and CKP? those would make it not start, but I'm pretty sure it's the starter or the battery.

I agree with duke about doing anything you can think of to knock out variables for free.

also, take a video for beans, he's been asking for one for two pages now and still no video.

[edit] have you bled the friggin clutch man? if not, it's engaged, and the engine will not start if the car is in gear, the starter will just engage and do nothing, it's not a big block you cant drive around on the starter motor.

Last edited:
mean the CMP and CKP? those would make it not start, but I'm pretty sure it's the starter or the battery.

I agree with duke about doing anything you can think of to knock out variables for free.

also, take a video for beans, he's been asking for one for two pages now and still no video.

[edit] have you bled the friggin clutch man? if not, it's engaged, and the engine will not start if the car is in gear, the starter will just engage and do nothing, it's not a big block you cant drive around on the starter motor.

i thought that too, but i assumed he had tried to start it with the tranny in neutral, but i am quickly learing no to assume anything with this build....

Back