• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

PRT PCV oil separator *interest check*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This kit will be designed for ONLY the line that goes into the UIM from the PCV valve, the valve cover vents are not able to be plumbed in with the supplied hardware.

Just so everyone is aware.

so how hard would it be for us to buy some different hardware to make this work?

also, is one for the valve cover-to-intake really needed? Not doubting just asking, I'm new to contours so I dont know. I mean, is it really going to make a difference?

Also, in the location you are mounting the one separator, is it possible to make a design change to the bracket to mount both separators there? I dont know how much room is there, thats why I'm asking.

so how hard would it be for us to buy some different hardware to make this work?

also, is one for the valve cover-to-intake really needed? Not doubting just asking, I'm new to contours so I dont know. I mean, is it really going to make a difference?

Also, in the location you are mounting the one separator, is it possible to make a design change to the bracket to mount both separators there? I dont know how much room is there, thats why I'm asking.
You're actually getting oil from your valve cover hoses? If you are, then I think you have something wrong... possibly clogged pcv or one of the pcv hoses/pipes. I've never even seen 1 drop from either of my valve cover hoses.

It wouldn't be hard at all. I built both of mine. You would just need to get a little creative. You would need another separator, 2 fittings, t-connector and the right amount of hose if you want to use it for your valve cover vents. The t-connector is used to merge both of the valve cover vent hoses. You hook up the free end to the intake. The other side of the intake where the valve cover hose goes would need to be plugged off.

It is not necessary to have one where the valve cover vents are. It's just for extra protection if you know you are sucking in oil from them. You would need to take off your intake or unplug your hoses to see if you are. Excess blow by can oil get sucked in through the intake from both valve cover vent hoses, specifically on high mileage engines due to ring wear. Higher viscosity oil helps minimize blow by as well, but your MPG suffers a bit.

Last edited:
Current design has the separator being mounted off one of the lower TB bolts under the IMRC cover. I'll post pics next week when the first proto. bracket is made. This location provides lots of room, as well as easy access for removing the bowl to empty the unit every few oil changes.

FWIW, I was one of the testors for this. I used two zip ties to hold it securely to the lower end of the throttle cable bracket. This was done mostly so that I could get at it for the pics Josh needed. It worked well there, but a bracket would have made it even nicer. I can testify that this works well, I have had my UIM off several times since then, and the build up was noticably less after I had installed this.

You're actually getting oil from your valve cover hoses? If you are, then I think you have something wrong... possibly clogged pcv or one of the pcv hoses/pipes. I've never even seen 1 drop from either of my valve cover hoses.

I didn't say I was. I was simply asking if you really benefit from having two oil separators since someone had suggested getting two.

I didn't say I was. I was simply asking if you really benefit from having two oil separators since someone had suggested getting two.

he is right, you should not have any oil coming from your valve cover vent hoses. sure you may have oil in the base on the valve cover but for the oil to travel all the way up the hose is not normal.

right, I didn't say he wasn't, I'm just saying I dont have oil in those lines and I was only asking a question. But i guess that also answers my question since it seems that if there is oil in those lines there is bigger things to worry about than putting an oil separator in there. again, I'm not saying I have oil in my lines, I was just asking in two were really needed since someone else suggested it.

Thanks for answering my question.

ok everyone i just picked up everything to make my own and make a bracket.

HERES THE THING. every thing came to about the same price this group buy will be. so theres no reason to make your own. I'm going to wait and see what yours looks like josh and i may take the stuff i bought back and get yours.

can you post a pic of what you have right now please ?

I'll have pictures hopefully by next Wednesday....sooner if i can get my materials are in stock from my supplier.

he is right, you should not have any oil coming from your valve cover vent hoses. sure you may have oil in the base on the valve cover but for the oil to travel all the way up the hose is not normal.

With all due respect to those who claim they've never had any oil in the accordian tube (coming from the valve cover vents) I found it there every time I looked. Not only that, I've spoken with other Tour owners who have had a similiar experience. I've owned 2 different Tours with well over 10 yrs. of "experiences". Now I push my car very hard in the twisty bits especially on track days. Hard RH cornering makes the oil splash/slosh up into the vent tube(s), past the baffle and then the negative pressure in the accordian tube takes care of sucking it into the intake tract. I find oil in the accordian tube, the throttle body and the MAF.

I made a oil & H2O filter/seperator with parts from H Depot. The only difficult part was the mounting bracket. It s/b mounted somewhere with good accessibility so that you can clean the oil/H2O out on a regular basis. Mine's mounted under the accordian tube with a custom fab'd stainless bracket. Now you shouldn't have to worry about H2O with an EGR seperator, but if you plumb 1 in to the valve cover vent you will.

My experience is that in the summer, I only pull oil out of the seperator. During the other 3 seasons, I mostly pull H2O out of it with a bit of oil mixed in for good measure. If it's rainy, I have to empty it at least once per week, if not more often! Also, I've noticed the oil stays clean for a longer period of time with it installed.

I'll take a pic or 2 and post here if anyone's interested.

also the turbo guys are more likely to have oil coming from the valve cover vents as well. excess blow-by from the increased pressure while under boost has to go somewhere. thats usually out the valve cover vents.:shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back