• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Drained battery..............

DARKONE

CEG'er
Listen guys I need a little help, my battery recently died on me. At first I thought it was my subs and amp draining my battery, So I disconnected that. And I see that the light were dim, and getting dimmer. So I say ok, I went to get a new battery and i put the new battery in and no really payng attention i saw the the battery light was still on even though I had a new battery, and slower well not really slowly, but basically the new battery went dead. Could it be a bad alternator?? Can someone help me out on this. Im really stuck on what to do next!!!!

That light is not a battery light. It is a charging system light. Most likely it is the alternator but make sure you check the mega fuse before you jump into the alternator.

:laugh: To summarize the above posts,

1) Just keep on changing batteries. :laugh: Don't do that. CSVT1214 was just kidding.

2) Check Fuse 5 which is the foglamp fuse. The charging system wiring goes through that fuse. If the fuse is broken, you Battery/charge light will come on indicating the battery is not getting charged.

3) Check Megafuse. If this is broken, your alternator will not be able to charge the battery and the Battery/Charge light will come on.

4) Need new alternator.

Incidentally, how old (many miles) are all these items?

Edit. Good info from stocksvtcontour in M&M how to.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=3535

Last edited:
Check the alt

Check the alt

get a volt meter, check the on voltage and the off voltage. also, were your past batteries bulged? if so your regulator on your alt might be shot, and causing dead cells in your battery.

Keyon...

Check those things that Tony said, but most likely it is your alternator. I can help you swap that out, just give me a call and I'll bring my tools on over.

Jeff

Well im assuming 190 miles becuz i havent changed anything like that so yea maybe its time to replace it.

:laugh: To summarize the above posts,

1) Just keep on changing batteries. :laugh: Don't do that. CSVT1214 was just kidding.

2) Check Fuse 5 which is the foglamp fuse. The charging system wiring goes through that fuse. If the fuse is broken, you Battery/charge light will come on indicating the battery is not getting charged.

3) Check Megafuse. If this is broken, your alternator will not be able to charge the battery and the Battery/Charge light will come on.

4) Need new alternator.

Incidentally, how old (many miles) are all these items?

Edit. Good info from stocksvtcontour in M&M how to.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=3535

Aiight Reebs Ill Do That!

QUOTE=Reebs;162868]Keyon...

Check those things that Tony said, but most likely it is your alternator. I can help you swap that out, just give me a call and I'll bring my tools on over.

Jeff[/QUOTE]

Back