• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Possible R.I.P for #4754... :cry:

You forgot the Get it?.:laugh:

You wait! :laugh:

Reading through the 3L forum, there is so much info that it can make things confusing. But there is no reason this thread can't help Mike with his decision, some pro/cons from the owners of each type of 3L build goes a long way.
No one needs to bash, get upset... just post what you like/dislike and let him choose.

Last edited:
Or you could just put a stock 2.5 back in

Or you could just put a stock 2.5 back in

How about this radical idea. If the car is worth it, just put in a used stock engine. Given the number of folks that do 3l conversions there has to be alot of good bottom end units lying around, maybe even some good complete 2.5 units. Simple, maybe cheap, and straightforward.

Mike take a look at NECO's 3L section as well. There was a good amount of info on there as well. There were some dyno sheets on there comparing the different 3L builds.

The only thing I don't like about my port matched 3L w/SVT cams is the lack of low end torque.

You wait! :laugh:

Reading through the 3L forum, there is so much info that it can make things confusing. But there is no reason this thread can't help Mike with his decision, some pro/cons from the owners of each type of 3L build goes a long way.
No one needs to bash, get upset... just post what you like/dislike and let him choose.

I couldn't agree more.

How about this radical idea. If the car is worth it, just put in a used stock engine. Given the number of folks that do 3l conversions there has to be alot of good bottom end units lying around, maybe even some good complete 2.5 units. Simple, maybe cheap, and straightforward.

Because the difference in the amount of work required for a 2.5 and 3.0 swap pales in comparison to the performance gains.

lol. u seem to 4get that the reason 3ls are installed is cos ppl's 2.5s bit the dust. there arent a lotta good ones out there on the contrary. simple? yes. straightforward? yes. Cheap? dont think so. 3ls are cheaper than svt replacements.

Because the difference in the amount of work required for a 2.5 and 3.0 swap pales in comparison to the performance gains.

agreed. 3l conversions have become no brainers. if ur 2.5 goes out, put in a 3l. its better than the svt block in every way.

if you ever want to boost it...don't do a hybrid...otherwise, it is a great option. but a full 3L is still a blast to drive. Ive driven one and the powerband is just awesome compared to the regular SVT

if you ever want to boost it...don't do a hybrid...otherwise, it is a great option. but a full 3L is still a blast to drive. Ive driven one and the powerband is just awesome compared to the regular SVT

that's what i've been reading. I like the idea of a 3L, but i also want to keep it at a 2.5L look. i always show the SVT and people ask if its the same motor that came out of the probe gt or such. if i do 3L, they'll know right off the bat its not the same motor. heh. i dont know. i've still got time to research more. is a full 3L a direct hook-up to the wiring harness of the stock system? Dad wants to keep the amount of electrical work to a minimum due to it NOT being his forte of work...

contrary to what most people will say to do, the best route you can go is a full 3L right now. if money is a problem.

Simply because you can sell the svt cams and intakes for good money. last year i blew my first 3L up and i bought my second 3L for 250 bucks with like 8000 miles on it.

then i sold my svt cams for 250 and my svt uim for 125. of course i did have to buy a lower intake, fuel rail adaptor and a brand new upper intake because my engine was a fire engine and the plastic was all burned up.

but in the end i was only down about 150 bucks on the engine, then i went further and redid my trans with a LSD and such and that set me back about 700 after fluids, bearings, and paying someone to press on my bearings to the diff.

Mostly agree with Tricker. But, I dont think there is much of a market for SVT intakes and cams anymore based on what I've witnessed lately in the classifieds.

The cheapest/easiest option by far would be to buy another SVT engine from a CEger.

yeah you can't sell SVT stuff here very easy. you gotta go to NECO. thats where i got the most interest in my cams, but a CEG'er still ended up buying them.

Mostly agree with Tricker. But, I dont think there is much of a market for SVT intakes and cams anymore based on what I've witnessed lately in the classifieds.

The cheapest/easiest option by far would be to buy another SVT engine from a CEger.

Yeah, so it can spin a bearing in another 10,000 miles.

Go full 3.0.

i'm never gonna go back to a 2.5L. thats like short-throwing a grenade, seeing what it does.... then doing it again. So, its all about the 3Ls and the three types. i still kind of like the idea of a port-matched. but a full or hybird just might make it into the car. REMEMBER: i'm in no hurry to get this done by a certain date.(dad always wanted me to be into cars, so we're gonna make this a summer/father son project and just get it done when it gets done.)

But other than that- I'm liking the opinions i'm seeing and the different discussions of the motors. its deffinitely gonna help me persuade dad one way or the other. Thanks guys! Keep em coming in!

While I think the performance is better with a full 3L, the advantage of a ported 3L is all troubleshooting works the same as the stock engine, and if you ever bring it to a shop to get work done they wont know the difference. For someone that does all their own work, it doesnt matter, but it is a point to be made.

My personal opinion is that the ported 3L and the full 3L make around the same HP, but the full makes more torque. I also dont know much about how well a full 3L runs without a tune, but I know my ported 3L runs perfect with a stock tune.

While I think the performance is better with a full 3L, the advantage of a ported 3L is all troubleshooting works the same as the stock engine

And you still have all of the troubles of the stock engine, like moosing. Ask Alex.

My personal opinion is that the ported 3L and the full 3L make around the same HP, but the full makes more torque. I also dont know much about how well a full 3L runs without a tune, but I know my ported 3L runs perfect with a stock tune.

Have you dyno'd it to confirm that it runs "perfect," or could there possibly be some extra hp hidden because the computer isn't tuned for the extra displacement?

And you still have all of the troubles of the stock engine, like moosing. Ask Alex.

Have you dyno'd it to confirm that it runs "perfect," or could there possibly be some extra hp hidden because the computer isn't tuned for the extra displacement?

My hybrid has not moosed at all in the time I've had it.

Mark made 196 WHP with this car before it was tuned. If you want to play that game, the stock 2.5 doesn't run perfect, as its tune it reportedly extremely rich at WOT. So, it should run as well as, or better than stock.

well, mine is a 98, so it doesnt moose.and by perfect i meant it runs as good as stock. It was on the dyno, but i dont take any stock in what it did since i had a pinched return line and the fuel pressure was out of whack and the fuel trims were messed, along with A/F. It did still make 180 whp on a mustang dyno (about 200 hp on a dynojet), not bad considering it has minimal mods, headers, optimized y, resonator delete (stock airbox/filter, etc). I have another dyno day coming up next month so I will have the better numbers then.

If I'm not mistaken, havent you had a boatload of issues with the way your full 3L has been running?

Back