• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Possible R.I.P for #4754... :cry:

Dad has the knowledge to do a motor swap. but he does not want to do the machine work to make it a port-matched 3L. which is kind of where we are heading.

Thanks for all the discusion guys! Dad has been looking around online at work..LOL. so, i'm guessing we're keeping the car! sorry bagged and blu_fuz. :eek: But he somehow found www.3lduratec.com and its really leaning towards that, the only thing killing him is the price. So, i am going to talk to him a little more and maybe he can lean to another source that i have gotten in touch with and use them instead.

Did you try taking the belt off like I said earlier in the thread?

Try that before you do anything else!!

Did you try taking the belt off like I said earlier in the thread?

Try that before you do anything else!!

i'll tell dad and we'll try it. it could very well be this...seeing as the alternator housing is cracked to hell and back..

yes.

we pulled it apart like you said and started it, the sound was still there....

i had a better chance of listening to it now. The car will idle but it sounds out of syncro or out of balance... It almost sounded like an uneven rock tumbling in a plactic container...(if you can imagine that). So, the car is still done for, but i AM getting a port-matched 3L. Its just a matter of when and from who.(and this person kind of knows :) )

yes.

i had a better chance of listening to it now. The car will idle but it sounds out of syncro or out of balance... It almost sounded like an uneven rock tumbling in a plactic container...(if you can imagine that). So, the car is still done for, but i AM getting a port-matched 3L. Its just a matter of when and from who.(and this person kind of knows :) )

Congrats!!

On the 3l, not the toasted engine.

yes.

:ponder:

Update:
So the parents and i have done our taxes and have everything situated. So, dad and i are starting look into the motor issue again and i've been lurking around the duratec 3L section and have came to a conclusion of wanting a 3L and not a 2.5L. BUT, i dont want a full 3L. so its either up for a port-matched 3L and a Hybird 3L. the onl thing I can't seem to find out is the pros and cons for them vs. each other. Which one is more safer?, more easier to work on?, which is better for boost?(Nitrous or turbo)....etc..
-i'm still leaning towards port-matched, unless i can gather enough evidence otherwise.

keep in note, im not really all about straight power. i'm more of a keep it clean and nice/show car and maybe use it at auto-x day every once in a blue moon.

Just stay away from using the SVT heads. Go ported 3L with SVT cams, depending on $ of course.

220/200 on my Hybrid
end of thread just do a hybrid.

And I would bet money that it is more like 240+/200 with a decent tune.

FWIW, my hybrid is 210/206 (probably actually more- the dyno will tell soon) and has 55000 miles on it since the swap. Everybody is going to tell you that hybrids won't last blah blah blah. You can't really boost them enough to bother with, but nitrous is still there to get you into those power levels that the car can't handle anyways. ;)

I didn't build this motor, but I bought it because I was planning on building a hybrid anyways.

Just stay away from using the SVT heads. Go ported 3L with SVT cams, depending on $ of course.

Hmmmm. And why do you say that? How many people here can say that they have 55K on a motor swap that makes over 200 WHP and the car is still running strong? I'm guessing only a handful, and what do you know? My hybrid is one of them.

I would only do a hybrid if I were to have the machine shop put the 3L valves in the 2.5 heads

Mine isn't PnP'd, and it still runs extremely well and makes good power.

that's what i've been looking at doing from the start. and i dont think i'm going to be looking for any boost(nitrous or turbo) for anytime soon. I just want to see whats out there and direct personal "feels" about their own car and maybe i can incorporate that into what i want to do. i just want to get the car back up n running for now. i miss my svt :cry:

OK guys, let's have a peaceful discussion about this!
We all realize that different people like/prefer what they have but let's keep it friendly. I don't want to see everyone bashing each other over their preference of 3L's!

Got it? Good!

Back