• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

OK, we didn't kill the entire car..... trailer project

It is fun to back up in it :D. I will learn to finess it into where I need it. I have driven some wierd vehicles before with trailers but we will see what happens and will have to learn as I go.

The best idea is to make this a tailgate party caddy. Cooler, grill, chairs, music, oh geez :crazy:.

Personally I think you should of cut the front clip off at the firewall but thats it... it looks a little on the retarded side but whatever floats your boat.

Why are ppl talking like this is the first time someone has used the back half of a car as a trailer?

dunno - it has been done for a lot of vehicles. From Dodge Vipers all the way to 1970's old pickup trucks.......

The hardest thing to decide was what to keep and what to cut away. Originally I wanted to be cut through the middle of the rear doors and have it even shorter. After we cut by the B pillar I realized how balanced it was and then I ended up keeping the rear doors functional. Any longer and I would have to tow it with a truck and that defeats the entire purpose of the contour trailer. Smaller would have been ok, but I think would have looked even more wierd. :shrug:.

I've seen it done to other cars before, including a Pt Cruiser.
What makes it so neat is that you're doing it yourself, with your own two hands, and we get to see the progress.
I've never seen one in the making by someone I know.

I think its funny....because it fits Joe so well. Sorry Joe you are a character from the first day I met you and your vice gripped barke line! I'll say this much it sure beats hauling :censored::censored::censored::censored: around in your trunk and if you can't afford a truck and trailer why the hell not!

Holy man, that was a long time ago. Yep, I had a locking vice grip on my front brake line that was worn through by the wheel :blackeye:. Only car I had and I had to drive it, so whatcha gonna do!? :laugh:.

I am a little "off" ......:rolleyes:

Holy man, that was a long time ago. Yep, I had a locking vice grip on my front brake line that was worn through by the wheel :blackeye:. Only car I had and I had to drive it, so whatcha gonna do!? :laugh:.

I am a little "off" ......:rolleyes:

If you're off joe then WTF am I? :eek:

I'm 6'2" and I've slept in the trunk before. Removed the bottom cushion, put that in the front seat, folded the rear seats down and put a sleeping bag down. I could stretch out just fine.

I'm 6'5" and I fit two people in the back of my Mystique with the rear seats folded down. And people wondered why my rear seatbelt receivers were all broken... ;)

personally i think it's going to be great...you just have to wait and see it painted with matching rims and exhaust and everything, i'm sure it will look a ton better

Our painter was laid off for a week, so only a little bondoing was done. He ordered the paint yesterday and should have paint on it by friday. I told him I need the trailer by monday of next week.... hopefully he can get it buttoned up by then.

Wow, this is taking waaay longer than I planned. They did lots of bondo'ing and prep work. The painter is finally putting color on it as I am typing this. Took a few pics a couple minutes ago with my cell. It is crunch time baby :eek:.

cd356b946010.jpg

d18cbcef2b6d.jpg

882f976c3083.jpg

696318fc5e2a.jpg

Back