• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil Filter and Oil Quality

I work at advance auto and we regularly have sales such as,
5qts Mobil 1 extended performance + a mobil 1 filter for $30.
Same goes for Casterol Edge + a k&N filter..

We also have sales on convetional oil, $15 for 5qts and a standard filter.

I put less than 5,000 miles a year on my SVT and only change my oil once a year with mobil 1 extended performance (clamed to last 15,000 miles)..

I dont understand why someone would choose to pay $15 for cheaper, less quality, and protective oil/filter and do the job twice a year ($30 a year).. when they could just spend the $30 at once and get much better oil/filter and only do the job once a year?:shrug:

Ok, that 5qts deal is going to still require you to buy another 2 qts to make the 6.5 which will be another $12 at least at normal prices. The Super Tech I use is MORE than enough and much cheaper. I used to think the same thing, why cheap out on oil. When I actually did the research, I found that the difference between Super Tech and the "elite" oils was so slight it really didn't make sense to flush the $15-$20 down the toilet 4 times a year (I put about 12k on my driver commuting). IMO it is not a good idea to change your oil once a year. Every 3k or 6 months, whichever comes first. However, if someone wants to go with Mobil 1 or RP or Amsoil etc... for peace of mind then more power to them. I just still think for a daily driver that sees regular changes, no need to go crazy.

I dont understand why someone would choose to pay $15 for cheaper, less quality, and protective oil/filter and do the job twice a year ($30 a year).. when they could just spend the $30 at once and get much better oil/filter and only do the job once a year?:shrug:

Because some people would rather change their oil more often regardless of what they put in the motor.

My Mystique has exclusively had Motorcraft filters and Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic 5W-30 oil since new, and I'll turn over 300,000 miles on it by this weekend, so it must be working! I used to change at 3,000 mile intervals, but I've upped that to 5,000 miles, since my driving is 100 miles daily of Interstate driving and few if any short trips. I burn one quart of oil between the 5,000 oil change intervals. I can't see how I would have done any better using more exotic oils or filters. My dilema is that I don't know whether to shoot for 400,000 or just say "good enough" and buy a new car.

I know I have a Zetec, but an engine is an engine. I have used Purolator filters and Valvoline MaxLife synthetic blend oil. No problems.

Actually if you want to save a few bucks on a brand name oil, Napa oil is actually Valvoline, you can check on the bottle. No difference at all except the packaging.

Actually if you want to save a few bucks on a brand name oil, Napa oil is actually Valvoline, you can check on the bottle. No difference at all except the packaging.

I think that differs region to region. The last Napa bottle I checked I believe was a Warren bottle and they do other store brands including SuperTech so I wouldn't mind running it in my girlfriends car.

Motorcraft oil and filters are both highly regarded. The Motorcraft filter is essentially a top-shelf Purolator and Motorcraft is made by Conoco-Philips to a very high standard...

BTW, regarding "misconceptions" here, the Fram filter isn't necessarily "junk." The orange (cans of death) known as the "Extraguard" are the ones with the notorious reputation of having cardboard end caps that some have claimed to have led to engine failures. However, I have no problem with the gray "Toughguard" filters, which are made with better materials. And the "Extendedguards" are said to be amongst the best. If I were going to use a regular "cheapy" oil filter, Purolater and their Pepboys' rebadged "Prolines" are pretty decent...

And I don't believe Castrol GTX makes a "synthetic" high mileage oil. Personally, I prefer Valvoline Maxlife which is a synthetic blend..

Supertech synthetic oil is made by Warren, and is essentially rebadged "Mag 1" synthetic, which I believe may include other base oils besides "Group III" based on impressively low pour points and meeting some rigorous spec's such as the Corvette/ Cadillac GM4718...

Thanks for posting that. I have not looked it over for a few years and was unaware that it was updated in 2008. One thing that did not change is how crappy Fram filters are.

Thank you all for the great answers, I am glad everyone gave their best posts, and it is good to know more of it :laugh:

Thanks for posting that. I have not looked it over for a few years and was unaware that it was updated in 2008. One thing that did not change is how crappy Fram filters are.

Your welcome. I couldn't believe how crappy Frams really are. Take 'em off the market, I say!

As I said, that is going way overboard for a daily driver IMO. If you stick with the SuperTech full syn and a Napa/WIX filter (can't imagine you don't have a local Napa) you will be just fine and dandy. The only people who will really benefit from stuff like Amsoil are the guys running at the track. But it is your money and if you are super anal retentive and want the best of the best then Amsoil is the way to go. Its just stupid expensive for oil changes lol. I put 6.5 qts of SuperTech in and combined with the filter that runs a tad over $30.
I baby the daylights out of my CSVT and I recently purchased AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic in it with a K&N SO-2010 Spin-on oil filter. very excited to see how she runs as I want her to live for quite some time.

The car currently has Motorcraft FL-820-S OEM oil filter and Motorcraft 5W-30 in it - DO NOT LISTEN TO THE 2002 SERVICE BULLETIN WHERE THEY CHANGED IT TO 5W-20 AS IT WAS MEANT TO IMPROVE THE EMISSIONS OUTPUT FOR POLITICAL REASONS.

I seriously doubt that the change was "political" but more likely to bring the Contour in line with the rest of the Ford product line for the convenience of dealers. Regardless, I've used nothing but 5W-30 in my 204k mi 2000 CSVT and it's still running well with minimal oil consumption.

Back