• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Premium Gas

ldyoung71

CEG'er
Has anyone ever used anything other than premium fuel? I have a guy telling me that I am wasting my money using that. I know that if the manufacturer doesn't call for it then it may not be needed, but our cars specifically say premium only. Any thoughts??

98.5 SVT

Technically if you arent going to push the car midgrade should be fine. That being said people have talked about losing gas mileage while running regular and mid, even to the point where they lost money over paying the extra 20-30 cents a gallon. The reason he's telling you that you're wasting money is probably because he doesnt know that the engine is tuned for premium. He may just assume since its a contour and not a viper that regular is just fine.

does it ping on regular

does it ping on regular

Cheap way to check, at the next fill up, put in about 1/2 tank of cheap stuff, if the car doesn't ping (knocking noise under acceleration) then save your money. If it does ping then put in premium.

Of course that assumes these 6 cyl engines don't have knock sensors and timing retarding. If so all bets are off.

it probably wouldn't hurt the engine too much if you rarely go above 3600 rpm. Probably will start pinging over time though. If you do like to venture above the 3600 rpm i would definately not put anything except premium. after 3600 i believe the timing changes 10 degrees and it uses much more fuel in a high compression engine which could result in pre detonation on the cylinders.

Cheap way to check, at the next fill up, put in about 1/2 tank of cheap stuff, if the car doesn't ping (knocking noise under acceleration) then save your money. If it does ping then put in premium.

Of course that assumes these 6 cyl engines don't have knock sensors and timing retarding. If so all bets are off.

Wow, way to give advice on something you know nothing about...

I love these threads where the blind lead the blind. :rolleyes:

For premium fuel, don't forget that there is no sensor to "detect" lower grade fuel, there is only a sensor to detect knock. Knocking is BAD. In a pinch you can use 87, but using it on a regular basis means you will likely be hitting knock every time you get hard on the throttle, and then the knock sensor will trigger the timing to be pulled back. This means that every time the knock sensor pulls timing that some knock had to have occurred already for it to detect it. Is it going to blow up? no, but its definitely not helpful to the long term health of the engine. I mean for chrissake, you spent the money on a brand new car and you aren't willing to protect your investment...

Calculate your additional cost per year...it is going to be a $200 difference at most.

This was my post on Cobaltss.net

I used regular gas once as an experiment. The knock sensors (yes, the E1 SVT has them) retarded the timing and performance suffered. Fuel economy dropped, also. The relative difference in price in the $4 per gallon range does not compensate for the loss in efficiency and fun.
c

yes you can run something other then premium but in the end is it really worth it?

the SVT was designed for premium, run premium.

Yes all SVTs have knock sensors. but as the name indicates and it has been pointed out it can only adjust timing after there is a knock.

yes some here have run regular, but they did it from day one.

in the end what you save is going to cost you. you would be much better off spending a few dollars on maintaning your vehicle so it gets the best gas milage that it can.

Some seem to have them while others dont. It seems weird to me.
Any Contour, Mystique or Cougar, (except SVT'S), built between 3/1/98 & 5/3/99 did NOT have a knock sensor. Any model with a production date outside of this period, including all SVT's, (as already mentioned), and pre-98's, DO have knock sensors.

This thread comes up about once a month. Search on the subject, and you will find the answer. :rolleyes: You are driving a car with 10.25:1 compression (maybe a little less because it is a 98.5) compared with most cars out there that are at like 9:1. When it already cost $50+ to fill up your car, what significance is that extra $2 for premium once every week or so? Take your lunch to work one day a week, and you've more than made up for it. Your car should run better, last longer, and give you better fuel economy. Tests have shown that running premium in cars designed for regular 87 has no positive effects, however running 87 in a car made for premium DOES have negative effects.

it probably wouldn't hurt the engine too much if you rarely go above 3600 rpm. Probably will start pinging over time though. If you do like to venture above the 3600 rpm i would definately not put anything except premium. after 3600 i believe the timing changes 10 degrees and it uses much more fuel in a high compression engine which could result in pre detonation on the cylinders.
why would you buy an csvt or se with a 5 speed for that matter if your going too drive it below 3600 rpm:shrug::crazy: kinda like having a boss 302 and only using the engine till 2000 rpm:rolleyes:

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the quick response. In this case I will use the rule, "better safe than sorry". It currently doesn't ping and I get an average of 26-27MPG highway. I'll keep doing what I am doing. :cool:

You mean from creating deposits or what?
Higher the octane the less the chance that combustion will occur at the wrong time, SVT's have higher compression so they need higher octane gas so combustion will not occur due to the higher compression. Basically the knock from putting in 87 happens because the pressure causes the gas to combust before the spark plug sparks (bad)

Diesel fuel is like 40 octane they want it to explode (combust) due to pressure alone (hense no spark plug)

So for those with non-svts putting higher octane in wont do :censored::censored::censored::censored: either. Higher octane fuel isnt better it can just withstand more compression.

Wow, way to give advice on something you know nothing about...

I love these threads where the blind lead the blind. :rolleyes:

For premium fuel, don't forget that there is no sensor to "detect" lower grade fuel, there is only a sensor to detect knock. Knocking is BAD. In a pinch you can use 87, but using it on a regular basis means you will likely be hitting knock every time you get hard on the throttle, and then the knock sensor will trigger the timing to be pulled back. This means that every time the knock sensor pulls timing that some knock had to have occurred already for it to detect it. Is it going to blow up? no, but its definitely not helpful to the long term health of the engine. I mean for chrissake, you spent the money on a brand new car and you aren't willing to protect your investment...

Calculate your additional cost per year...it is going to be a $200 difference at most.

This was my post on Cobaltss.net

Geesh...talk about the bad advice being offered :nonono:

Pete's post is right on.
If you do go with 987 octane you will save 2.90 on a tank :shrug:
fill up once a week. a total of 54 weeks you spend 156.60.
Now if that is a whole lot then i understand. I don't know how well your doing in life. But i recommend 93 because when your flooring you car in back of your head you will be thinking man, i wish i was actually running 93. :)

Geesh...talk about the bad advice being offered :nonono:

Pete's post is right on.
If you do go with 987 octane you will save 2.90 on a tank :shrug:
fill up once a week. a total of 54 weeks you spend 156.60.
Now if that is a whole lot then i understand. I don't know how well your doing in life. But i recommend 93 because when your flooring you car in back of your head you will be thinking man, i wish i was actually running 93. :)

987 octane?

54 weeks?

:D :D :D :D

Higher the octane the less the chance that combustion will occur at the wrong time, SVT's have higher compression so they need higher octane gas so combustion will not occur due to the higher compression. Basically the knock from putting in 87 happens because the pressure causes the gas to combust before the spark plug sparks (bad)

Diesel fuel is like 40 octane they want it to explode (combust) due to pressure alone (hense no spark plug)

So for those with non-svts putting higher octane in wont do :censored::censored::censored::censored: either. Higher octane fuel isnt better it can just withstand more compression.

Well said. Octane is a measurement of a fuel's ability to resist preignition.

I've always put 87 in my SE...I have the SVT duratec so I should be using 93. I never even realized this. :(

What exactly does pinging sound like? I'm not sure if I've ever noticed it.

Back