• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

odd ebay find

You might be right. I'm presuming the car came with Mystique tails as in the SVT video, and he picked up the trunk to match? But then again, why not just buy the tails to match? :shrug:

One more time....

:shrug:

I understand that there's a lot of unexplained things on this car, but how many Contour owners have swapped on mystique reflectors and tails? Maybe the guy just liked em better and decided to put them on.

Car also has pre-98 sail panels FYI

because its sole purpose was win race's..not car shows. if he cared about looks it would have the side skirts,daul exhaust and woudnt be yellow..but thats just mho:shrug:

:shrug:

I understand that there's a lot of unexplained things on this car, but how many Contour owners have swapped on mystique reflectors and tails? Maybe the guy just liked em better and decided to put them on.

Car also has pre-98 sail panels FYI

true. i just didnt think ford would have had time for the aesthetic improvements as they hadnt even figured out wot the ultimate product was gonna be. we do all that for looks enhancement.

true. i just didnt think ford would have had time for the aesthetic improvements as they hadnt even figured out wot the ultimate product was gonna be. we do all that for looks enhancement.

If ford wanted to sell cars they better have MADE time for aesthetic improvements....don't you think?

No need to tweak out, what I said and what you said were two different things. Read next time...

Not sure what part you're not understanding.....BTW, i read just fine.

I said "Maybe the guy just liked em better and decided to put them on."

To wich you replied "why not just buy the tails to match?"

Wich is easily answered by the statement i re-posted, just for you. "Maybe the guy just liked em better and decided to put them on."

Not sure what part you're not understanding.....BTW, i read just fine.

I said "Maybe the guy just liked em better and decided to put them on."

To wich you replied "why not just buy the tails to match?"

Wich is easily answered by the statement i re-posted, just for you. "Maybe the guy just liked em better and decided to put them on."

No, I'm saying maybe the car CAME with Mystique tails, like in the video....

No, I'm saying maybe the car CAME with Mystique tails, like in the video....

And i fully understand that......

But you're saying why not just buy the contour tails to match the contour reflector shown in the video(assuming it had it originally), I'm saying maybe he kept the mystique tails we're assuming were on it and put the mystique reflector on because he liked it better that way. Follow?

If ford wanted to sell cars they better have MADE time for aesthetic improvements....don't you think?

looks like am off on this one. hey josh correct me on the following statements

1) ford built this car the way we're seeing it in that picture. no one else messed with anything.
2) if this is #2, then it should have dual exhausts like they all do.
(by the way, anyone else notice the first picture has a mystique hood?)

looks like am off on this one. hey josh correct me on the following statements

1) ford built this car the way we're seeing it in that picture. no one else messed with anything.
2) if this is #2, then it should have dual exhausts like they all do.
(by the way, anyone else notice the first picture has a mystique hood?)

1) Who ever said FORD built this car??????????
2) It's been modified :confused:

Also, it's not a mystique hood, you're seeing a reflection from the ceiling, the front edge of the mystique hood is different than the contours and does not match up to the contour grill like that.

Last edited:
its not a mystique hood and im sure ford didnt build/paint the car like that, but it is definately #2...and i finally contributed to contour.org by unlocking they mystery of one of the first 5, haha :cool:

ooooooh! thats why am sounding like a frigging retard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sheesh! it all comes together now. i thot this was how it came outta factory. u know, kinda like the bondurant ones.

The Bondurant cars weren't built by ford either, they were built by Roush.

LOLZ nice rogaine stickers.

Also looks like the rear valance was cut off or rippemore likely ripped off, as there is still the pasanger exhaust surround.

Alright well I'm going to take a shot at what I think are possibilities here...

OK first off it is obvious the owner of the car did some modifications and raced it. So with that in mind anything to do with the powertrain may have been modified. This definitely could explain the following: no IMRC box, single exit exhaust, no shunt tank, no washer spray reservoir, remote mount battery, and power distribution box.

As for the body again since it is raced the front/rear bumpers are damaged, sill panels are gone most likely due to pitting the car in races. Interior stripped again for obvious reasons.

As for the tail lights and trunk lid a few possibilities... one they were busted during racing and they replaced them with whatever they found quickest at a junk/scrap yard because they didn't care. Or two Ford built it this way and sold the car as is. This is not a far fetched idea. Having worked with prototype vehicles it's very possible that Ford may have done this. Most often then not the first few prototype builds are bastard childs. Reworking them after you have completed all of your testing on them is very costly and time consuming. This is why sometimes prototype machines are reworked to a "safe" driving condition and then sold as is for a much lower price once the company is finished with it and wants it off it's engineering expense list or sometimes they are even scrapped all together.

However my bets are that they just busted it up in a race and replaced it with the quickest parts they could find. This car wasn't used as an eye pleaser, but for bringing in the money.

Anyhow that's my two cents ;)

Last edited:
well this is my take...ford must have given bill miller this car to race...how else would he end up with #2?? and he is the one selling it if you look at the ebay name, as far as the taillights maybe someone should just message him

Back