• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

non-intercooled turbo

i was hopeing they had a coustom tune, i think that what i'll do. my main concern is, once i get the chip burned, can it be changed again?

the xcal isnt exactly a "chip" like a lot of flashing companies use. u've seen what an SCT xcal looks like right? the xcal has the capability of holding about 4 tunes max iirc. when u get the tunes via email, u can keep as many as u want on ur pc or laptop. just make sure u label them, so u know what is what. then upload whichever one u want anytime.

The xcal (2 anyways) can hold 3 tunes. But you can also have a simple SCT chip flashed by Nautilus or anyone with the right tools. They can be reflashed, but it means you don't have a chip while it's out. So if you're mailing it back and forth you will have down time, you can avoid that with the XCal.

Basically if you don't plan on changing the tune often, a chip works and is cheaper. I have a chip in my Cougar and use the XCal2 in my SVT.

im gonna get it dyno tuned, but i just dont understand anything about the tuning process.... so after getting the turbo kit, your saying im going to need a SCT chip before i can tune it?>>> turbo + ???? = good tune set up. i want the best tune out there. i have the dyno location but i dont know what i need.

if you want all that, get the Xcal set up and the wideband, then you can data log at your leisure and get the tune pretty darn close without even going to the dyno...however, you indicated earlier you wanted to keep the costs down, so will have to make compromises.

i was hopeing they had a coustom tune, i think that what i'll do. my main concern is, once i get the chip burned, can it be changed again?

sure you can always change/revert the tune. its easy with a xcal product.

but you will go back to Joey @ nautilusperformance.com because hes the best at tuning. i had 9+ hauls on a dyno with a master mechanic/tuner, that i respect greatly, and made a tune that was pretty good but not even close to Joey's.

plus, if Joey's tune is free, you can always spend a grand on a dyno like i did and get a tune you never use.

get the stage 1 intercooled base kit and you will be happy with no other modifications to your car.

cheers

If your setup is gonna be done soon, Jerry, (the programming brains of SCT), is going to be here, (Team Ford of Marietta), around the second week of September dyno-tuning. If you, (or anyone else for that matter), is interested, I can check on pricing.

WHAT:shocked::shocked:what dates, I hope its not while I am at Disney.

Just because I know how to program software that will calculate financial gains, etc, doesn't mean that I am a financial planner.

Just because this guy PROGRAMMED the SCT software, and knows how to make it handle different types of cars, etc, doesn't instantly mean that he knows diddly about tuning our platform specifically.

Maybe he's great... but... why hasn't anyone else gotten a tune from him, then?
You can't get much better than Tom, and then Joey at our platform.

Just because I know how to program software that will calculate financial gains, etc, doesn't mean that I am a financial planner.

Just because this guy PROGRAMMED the SCT software, and knows how to make it handle different types of cars, etc, doesn't instantly mean that he knows diddly about tuning our platform specifically.

Maybe he's great... but... why hasn't anyone else gotten a tune from him, then?
You can't get much better than Tom, and then Joey at our platform.

I agree...once my car settled down, the first tune Joey sent me now seems about perfect :)

If your setup is gonna be done soon, Jerry, (the programming brains of SCT), is going to be here, (Team Ford of Marietta), around the second week of September dyno-tuning. If you, (or anyone else for that matter), is interested, I can check on pricing.

Jerry is who tuned my car. Great guy and he knows his stuff.

Jerry is who tuned my car. Great guy and he knows his stuff.

You see... I stand semi-corrected.

I still stand firm in my comparison and that it isn't automatic that someone knows y because of x, but it seems that this particular situation is that he knows y AND x..

Good to know. Cool!
:cool:

Jerry wrote engine/trans control software for Ford before he started SCT. Does that mean he's the best Contour programmer? Of course not... not necessarily. But IMO, PCM programming is all relative... platform specificity is of little importance if you understand the cause & effect of all the components in the system. Throw something like boost in the mix and your starting platform means even less.

Either way, I didn't state that Jerry was better/worse than anyone else.. just that he started the company.

That being said, I've read an aweful lot on this forum, NECO & FCO. After all my readings and research, I would entrust my car to Jerry before anyone else. Guys spend $150k+ on Ford GT's and specifically request that Jerry tune them. Sorry but if he's trusted without a second thought on a GT, he's more than capable of tuning my Contour. :cool:

i semi agree. the point is joey and tom have perfected the art already of tuning our contours. give them a ford gt, and they would probably be lacking. i believe it'd be the same for jerry. he's not perfected the contour... at least not yet.

I don't buy that anyone has perfected anything, (including Jerry), because every setup is different and unique. Jerry has tuned Contours, but that's really not the point of all this. The point is that if you have a problem with a tune provided by Tom or Joey, you send him a log & he makes what he considers the appropriate changes to your tune. As would any tuner that knew what he was doing. Adding fuel here or adjusting timing there, based on a log of what the engine is doing, is universal whether it's a Mustang, a Contour, or whatever.

And FWIW, I haven't seen or heard of anyone having problems of any kind with a tune from Jerry.

u're right. and am not by any means knocking jerry. am sure he's good at what he does. i'm just saying that there are intricacies of our platform and tuning which only someone that works with it all the time would be able to handle swiftly, if nothing else. besides, most tuner shops have their specialities.

it will be about two month's before im actually ready for the whole set up, but i do want to avoid doing all the running around trying to get it right. i will be more than happy with a stock tune form "joey" as long as it's pretty close to being a good tune to have. like i was saying, im just getting started with the turbo thing and i have no idea really what to expect from our cars in this case. i know its not going to be perfect right off the start, and im willing to experiment with a few different types untill i can get it close. i dont however want to be spending alot of extra bucks at the dyno trying to get it right though. some people say that a good tune can either make or brake your car performance wise. i just dont want to be the one who spent too much to make it right. i 'm really trying to learn as much as i can about computer tunning as i can befor i make my first approch to it. any suggestions to where i can read up on the issue befor it time to purchase?

The xcal (2 anyways) can hold 3 tunes. But you can also have a simple SCT chip flashed by Nautilus or anyone with the right tools. They can be reflashed, but it means you don't have a chip while it's out. So if you're mailing it back and forth you will have down time, you can avoid that with the XCal.

Basically if you don't plan on changing the tune often, a chip works and is cheaper. I have a chip in my Cougar and use the XCal2 in my SVT.

why would you want to have three differnt tunes? would that imply that you are changing parts on your car in and out for fuel mileage gains/ performane gains or somthing? or would it be because you're changing power applications across the power band? (low end torque/ top end power) i really dont undrstand how or why these things are important, but i do know that they are. i do know that im going to get all the parts i want at one time, (exept the cat back witch will come later) so i more than likely wont be changing the tune that often once i get it right.

one reason is to have a second tune with the "adaptation" feature turned off...this is quite useful when data logging.

it will be about two month's before im actually ready for the whole set up, but i do want to avoid doing all the running around trying to get it right. i will be more than happy with a stock tune form "joey" as long as it's pretty close to being a good tune to have. like i was saying, im just getting started with the turbo thing and i have no idea really what to expect from our cars in this case. i know its not going to be perfect right off the start, and im willing to experiment with a few different types untill i can get it close. i dont however want to be spending alot of extra bucks at the dyno trying to get it right though. some people say that a good tune can either make or brake your car performance wise. i just dont want to be the one who spent too much to make it right. i 'm really trying to learn as much as i can about computer tunning as i can befor i make my first approch to it. any suggestions to where i can read up on the issue befor it time to purchase?

you dont have to read up on anything if u dont want to. thats the good thing about paying joey. he does the work.:) and dont worry, he'll see u through the process. he's VERY VERY good about that.

why would you want to have three differnt tunes? would that imply that you are changing parts on your car in and out for fuel mileage gains/ performane gains or somthing? or would it be because you're changing power applications across the power band? (low end torque/ top end power) i really dont undrstand how or why these things are important, but i do know that they are. i do know that im going to get all the parts i want at one time, (exept the cat back witch will come later) so i more than likely wont be changing the tune that often once i get it right.

99tred's exactly right. thats a very good reason to have more than the set/perfect tune on the xcal. another is for different settings that u might have. e.g timing, temperature, lean, rich conditions etc. u'll find that the triple storage for tunes becomes quite handy.

Back