• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

non-intercooled turbo

pensonnick

New CEG'er
i was searching the nautilus performance web site and i seen the non intercooled turbo in the turbo kits page, and i was wondering if anyone on here was running the kit currently and if it was any good or not. it fits into my planned budget really good, but i was wondering what i could expect with it? it says 240whp with my svt, + im getting headers and y-pipe to go along with it also a lsd installed too. kit is 2195+ tax and shipping. i cant decide if i should just get the 275 kit for a grand more minusr the headers ans y-pipe instead? any advice?

so the y-pipe comes with the basic non intercooled 5psi kit too? cool, i didnt know that. it wasnt listed in the included parts list, but im glad to hear that. so what would you reccomend for me to do, cause i have about 5000 to spend total and i want to make the most of it. im going to get a clutch and flywheel also though so really i have about 4500. but i dont want too much power to where im spinning in 3 gears i wanna be able to pull 3rd hard with out losing traction.

get the intercooled kit and trim back on the extras...it's easier adding gauges, etc. later, but harder if you ever want to go intercooled.

im glad you said that, that was going to be my next question. i was actually thinking about adding the intercooler later too. i kind of thought it would be a pain to install, thank for the advice though. how about the basic tune that comes with it, dou you all think its ok to start with or should i go ahead and get the x-cal tune?

Welcome, damn all the GA members are coming out of the woodworks, hey if you want a taste of a csvt turbo come to a meet sometime and I will take you for a ride in mine, check the S.E. section for meets.

how about the basic tune that comes with it, dou you all think its ok to start with or should i go ahead and get the x-cal tune?

The basic tune makes no changes to the fuel/timing curves. It's just for people who want to raise their redline, remove speed limiter, etc.

You'll have to get the forced induction tune. I would guess this would at least be the cost of the tuning service which is $280+XCAL. I would figure in spending about $500 for tuning/XCAL. That's pretty normal.

Welcome, damn all the GA members are coming out of the woodworks, hey if you want a taste of a csvt turbo come to a meet sometime and I will take you for a ride in mine, check the S.E. section for meets.

sounds good, i have been seeing alot of contours around the area too. i think everyone is on to how great the cars really are. you have the stage one 3.0 in woodward rite? you should take it to atlanta motor speedway one friday im there all the time. but i'll be sure to come to the meets as much as i can, i been interested in them for a while too. maybe i'll see you on the next one.

The basic tune makes no changes to the fuel/timing curves. It's just for people who want to raise their redline, remove speed limiter, etc.

You'll have to get the forced induction tune. I would guess this would at least be the cost of the tuning service which is $280+XCAL. I would figure in spending about $500 for tuning/XCAL. That's pretty normal.

is the only way to tune the cars with a dyno, or are there any other alternatives?

sounds good, i have been seeing alot of contours around the area too. i think everyone is on to how great the cars really are. you have the stage one 3.0 in woodward rite? you should take it to atlanta motor speedway one friday im there all the time. but i'll be sure to come to the meets as much as i can, i been interested in them for a while too. maybe i'll see you on the next one.

I have no idea what stage one 3.0 woodward you are talking about:shrug: I havent ever raced at ams before but will next year, I need a external battery cutoff before I can race again.

There are dyno tunes, mail order tunes, or if you have someone with the right equipment you can even do street tunes. I'm not sure what beyondloaded was referring to, but I'm pretty sure the kit will come with a tune suited for F/I.

Nautilus page said:
Comes with free tune $250 savings

Which means all you'd need is an SCT chip for them to load it on, or an XCal to load it yourself. They also sell these products. Not as good as a dyno tune necessarily, but much better than nothing.

my bad, i just looked @ your profile and seen your ride ( very nice by the way ) i thought i seen a couple of vids that were yours on youtube that used the name rynblacksvt too. is that your car on the nautilus page, the silver one? and what is a battery cutoff? what does it do?

No mine is not on the nautilus site. The external battery cutoff does exactly what it says, its a switch outside the vehicle that shuts the battery off and cuts the car off. For all nhra tracks if you have your battery relocated to the trunk you have to have a cutoff on the outside.

Which means all you'd need is an SCT chip for them to load it on, or an XCal to load it yourself. They also sell these products. Not as good as a dyno tune necessarily, but much better than nothing.

im gonna get it dyno tuned, but i just dont understand anything about the tuning process.... so after getting the turbo kit, your saying im going to need a SCT chip before i can tune it?>>> turbo + ???? = good tune set up. i want the best tune out there. i have the dyno location but i dont know what i need.

No mine is not on the nautilus site. The external battery cutoff does exactly what it says, its a switch outside the vehicle that shuts the battery off and cuts the car off. For all nhra tracks if you have your battery relocated to the trunk you have to have a cutoff on the outside.

yeah i should have knew that, i have a 89 mustang fox body 351race car also and we had to do the same. i was just thinking to hard lol though that wasnt nessasry for a car like this, NHRA and all there rules

ok, i'll check up on it and see. but meanwhile, how did you do yours? did you have it dyno'd or did you use the chip? also i have another post over in troubleshooting i need some help with if you dont mind.

If you want the best tune, have Nautilus do it via mail order. They know the platform in and out. Then follow up with a Dyno run to fine tweek it. Oh course, If you dont want to run it the dyno you can always do some dataloging.

If you want the best tune, have Nautilus do it via mail order. They know the platform in and out. Then follow up with a Dyno run to fine tweek it. Oh course, If you dont want to run it the dyno you can always do some dataloging.

he means e-mail just in case u're confused pensonnick. he sends u a tune via email, u upload it unto your xcal, and download it unto ur car.

Back