• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My 86...

My junk don't leak. Only leak my single cam motor had was the dipstick o ring, and I fixed that quick. That was a 1986 engine with 168k when I got it running. Nary a drop, save for the dipstick tube seal. Keep in mind this engine is (near as makes mo difference) going to be brand new. Toyota doesn't keep drip pans in their showroom lol. The Land Rover / Jaguar dealer on the other hand..... :crazy:

Who you calling..... :crazy: I have a couple coats of white on the block, hopefully it'll look better with some clear coat. Might just throw fudgin glitter on it and call it a day.

Yeah serious dbag. On a sexy bling note, carbs came in today!! Mikuni 44phh side draughts with manifold and linkages. Made in Japan suckah! Sooooo sweet. Stacks look brand freaking new, can't decide if I can bare to cover them with filters. Maybe just screens to keep the birds out. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah serious dbag. On a sexy bling note, carbs came in today!! Mikuni 44phh side draughts with manifold and linkages. Made in Japan suckah! Sooooo sweet. Stacks look brand freaking new, can't decide if I can bare to cover them with filters. Maybe just screens to keep the birds out. ;)

pics or it didnt happen!

Found TRD part number, so I had to get it back out and check. Real deal JDM TRD status right here kids!
imag0214.jpg

Crank is in. Measured clearances to 0.0019"-0.0020", which is just a touch above brand new spec, which tops out at 0.0017". Not too shabby for a motor with at least 200k on the crank. Tomorrow I'll drop in the pistons and button up the bottom end.

Installed the rods and pistons today. The oil gaps on the rods are around 0.0016" which is well inside the "new" spec. The crankshaft mains are just outside at 0.0020", both gaps are +/-0.0001" and right on with Toyota specs. Anyways, I need an oil pump pick up tube gasket, and then I will be able to completely button up the bottom end and permanently mount the oil pans; they're on with just a couple bolts right now. Yes the block is white. Yes the upper oil pan is Pimp gold metallic; as are the valve covers.
imag0215.jpg

imag0216.jpg

Bottom end is officially done. I finished sealing the oil pans today. After the form-in-place-gasket (FIPG) has.cured, i'll flip the motor back upright and dump some oil in it. I got my timing belt and crank pulley on today, but I'm still missing the alternator I ordered a couple weeks ago.

Started to reassemble the head, cheap China valve stem seals didn't fit, half of em broke. So I'm waiting on new ones. I went on and set everything together to get it off the workbench and it looks goooooood but no pics cuz phone died. :cry:

Confirmed 7afe valve locks are interchangable, and I got my valve stem seals. So I can finish the head next week. Also got my 6AL today. Still waiting on the header, which I will wrap in white heat wrap. Unless it still has a nice finish, but after a couple track days I'm sure it's blued pretty good. Anyways.
imag0228.jpg

.....and paint the water pump and that other bit too, lookin' good Eric, just make sure it kicks serious ass before the Dragon run next year, you've got plenty of time!

Back