• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My 86...

comicbookguy-worst-thread-ever.jpg

Congrats I need to post the vids of my project car i've been tinkering with. I got it to come alive a weekend ago.

I replaced my bent control arm and busted water pump the other day. Felpro gaskets don't like to be assembled, disassembled, and reassembled. So I'm leaking coolant like crazy. I'm going to pick up a bunch of new ones and fix it all up nice Wednesday. Idle is still way off, I gotta find my vacuum leak and sort that out; probably the brake booster hose. Then I just need to get a set of tires and I'm on the road; on my way to a long line of break-downs and broken parts. I can't wait! :D

Glad to hear the Rolla is out and about, but have some confidence Eric, its a Toyota, its not going to break down on you once you get everything else sorted out. You deserve a good run out on the Dragon this year and hopefully there's two of you 86's out there!

Thanks Roger! The past couple days were busy; I was off Monday, worked 13 hours Tuesday (on my birthday WTH :( ) then off again today. Monday I drove the car for the first time in 11 years. I didn't have a fan on it, so it got a little hot with it being 101 and all. :( But I cruised around and filled it up with gas; gas gauge doesn't work - classic AE86! Then I parked it with 6 miles on it Monday night.

Today I flushed to coolant out again. It was a good thing I let it get so hot Monday, because that broke loose and cleaned out all the crud that was built up in the deep, dark recesses of the water passages in the block. I probably ran 8 gallons of water through it until it was nice and clean coming out of all openings. I closed it all back up and poured in 50/50 OEM coolant/distilled water with a half bottle of Hy-per Lube super coolant stuff. Roger recommended RedLine Water Wetter, which I would have used, except the Hy-per brand was buy one get one free, so there ya go. ;) I also re-installed the stock fan hub to aid in cooling the giant radiator; which had awesome results. :cool:

I cruised across town to my job, where we checked all the lights and replaced a few that were out. Then I flushed the manual transmission and replaced the oil filter. I've changed the oil and filter 2 or 3 times now to get the last bits of crap out of it. You have no idea how badly fluids break down over a decade. Then I popped over to my wife's job and said what's up, then I did a smokey burnout and left.

So here it is, sitting by the lake, checkin out chicks. I kinda dig the mold, rust, and Jesus fish, but the crappy tint is gonna go bye bye.
ry%3D480

ry%3D400

Poor jacked up paint. :(
ry%3D400

WTH?!
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The clutch slips a little, the header wrap is home to lots of bugs that smoke when the exhaust gets hot, it diesels a little when you cut the engine off, and the tires are the worst things in the history of forever. I gotta get new tires very soon; like next purchase soon. But with the stock fan hub back on and the thermostat still out, no overheating even with another 100 degree day today. I've driven it close to 30 miles total and I love it.

Smooth idle, no trouble lights. I am thinking about maybe getting a slightly larger diameter steering wheel since I gots no power steering.
ry%3D400

Hella fresh JDM Cusco rollcage.
ry%3D400

Radio doesn't work?!?! Wait... ;) Also I really like the feel of the '78 Cressida shift knob, but it sits up a little high. So I reckon I'll get me a shortened short throw shifter.
ry%3D400

Boom! Blurry belt and pullies = running!
ry%3D400

Since Eric is at church right now, I should tell you guys this little bit of new, wait till he posts a pic of his other Rolla that came in today!

As far as the car goes, perfect and I wouldn't paint or prime it till your ready Eric, something about the original-ness of it all. But this is something I can't hear you say...."I gotta get new tires".....no way, you, new tires....the times, they are a changin'!

Haha yeah I gots me a fresh new AE86 in the mail! Thanks to Roger, my Corolla stable has now doubled in size...well number anyways. :crazy: Yeah I need tires for sure, I was trying to get them to blow apart all day but they're tough buggers! They smoke pretty good, too. ;)

LOL I like the mini rolla! I have a mini MS3 sitting on the self.

Maybe they'll make a HW size one:shrug:

I'm glad you like the car Eric, I knew you'd appreciate it and I didn't wanna wait till the Dragon run to give it to you and besides, it completed your perfect day:cool:

Back