• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Motha Trucka!

When you are looking to get a crew cab, short bed truck, you expect to have a small bed...... Avalanche is basically that just shaped different.

Yea you can for sure tell when it switches to and from 4cyl, and a huge power difference obviously. I was going to say the 4cyl thing could be enhanced to be in 4cyl a lot more than it is. I guess it learns your driving characteristics and does what it wants from there. Like on mine if I am driving around town for a while and then take it out on the highway coasting down a hill, it will stay in 8cyl when I am completely off the gas, then after a couple down hill times it will realize it can go into 4cyl, kinda irritating. I wish there was just a button to select 4cyl or 8cyl. My foot has gotten pretty good at keeping it in 4cyl as much as possible tho.

Hope it doesnt burn oil like my boss's or my other boss's wife's.

Looks nice though.
That was only on the earlier 5.3l displacement on demand engines.

Yea you can for sure tell when it switches to and from 4cyl, and a huge power difference obviously. I was going to say the 4cyl thing could be enhanced to be in 4cyl a lot more than it is. I guess it learns your driving characteristics and does what it wants from there. Like on mine if I am driving around town for a while and then take it out on the highway coasting down a hill, it will stay in 8cyl when I am completely off the gas, then after a couple down hill times it will realize it can go into 4cyl, kinda irritating. I wish there was just a button to select 4cyl or 8cyl. My foot has gotten pretty good at keeping it in 4cyl as much as possible tho.

I've got the 5.3l in my Grand Prix and I can only tell from the exhaust note change and by watching the instant MPG on the display that its gone from 8 to 4cyl. Maybe its just the weight difference between the vehicles but its seamless on mine. The split second I hit the gas and it needs the power its right back to 8 like it was always there. I love it! It makes for an awesome highway and cruising vehicle.

Dont get me wrong, the transition between 4 and 8 is nothing I am complaining about, just saying I can feel it, but if I am listening to loud music on a bumpy road not paying attention to it no I dont even notice half the time. It is a pretty awesome feature, on this last tank I drove about 1/3 of city driving, and the rest on the highway with a couple fun pedal to the floor getting on the highway and still averaged 18.5 in a 5400lb 4x4 truck.

You are right on FF. You rarely notice the change from 8 to 4. 18.5 mpg's daaaaaaaaaaaaaaang! That's awesome. I'm going to calculate the mpgs for this tank by hand instead of the estimated mpg they give you on the dash..... we will see how it went.

^^^^ I wish man. Someone just offered me $8,000 for it a couple days ago but I had to say no because I would still have to replace it with something for my summer DD. :-/

Oh well, I'm stuck with it forever! :eek:

It is a pretty awesome feature, on this last tank I drove about 1/3 of city driving, and the rest on the highway with a couple fun pedal to the floor getting on the highway and still averaged 18.5 in a 5400lb 4x4 truck.
I get around 28-32 mpg on most hwy trips. Which is pretty good considering its a larger car with essentially a 2.6l when its in 4cyl mode. But city mpg is terrible, I've never calculated it because I know I'll be disapointed.

That was only on the earlier 5.3l displacement on demand engines.

All LS2's use some oil. It has to do with the PCV system. Get a catch can to keep i tout of your intake, and move along. It's not a huge deal. Some are really bad thouhg.

While we're on the LS2, i'm surprised to hear it was an option. I thought it was standard equipment?

All LS2's use some oil. It has to do with the PCV system. Get a catch can to keep i tout of your intake, and move along. It's not a huge deal. Some are really bad thouhg.

While we're on the LS2, i'm surprised to hear it was an option. I thought it was standard equipment?
Mine is a LS4

^^^^ I wish man. Someone just offered me $8,000 for it a couple days ago but I had to say no because I would still have to replace it with something for my summer DD. :-/

Oh well, I'm stuck with it forever! :eek:

Ahm, NO!!! Don't even think about selling that car!!!!!!!! C'mon man, you're one of the last original CEGers who still has their Tour. Gotta keep it my friend.

PS: If garage space ever becomes an issue .... I have plenty of space. ;)

While I do like the Avalanche (especially in that color), after having driven my girlfriends '09 Tahoe quite a bit over the last 2 years...I wouldn't personally want one.

Back