• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

PLEASE DONT KILL ME! Im still a virgin!!

Nerawkas

CEG'er
Ahem, this is a stupid question... my fellow CEG'rs, dont kill me!
My question: How can you reset your PCM yourself?
I've been trying to search these forums, but I'm not getting any help... i even checked the PCM Tunning section... maybe I'm not finding the rigght places. ARGH! PLEASE... dont run me over...
Ive had the CEL light on for almost a year, it was due to o2S. anyways, i got them replaced today, and I wanted to reset the codes. I know I can do that with a machine thingy... omg i feel so lost. That CEL light thing, but I was just wondering if I can do it myself/... can this be done by unpluging the battery?
lIKE I SAID, dont kill me,,... im still a virgin

go to advanced auto or most any part store and they can read and clear the code for you. or if i remember right you need to take both batt cables off for a certain period of time hold them together or something of that nature lol

Just pull the negative cable and hold the brake pedal for a few seconds. Clearing the codes with a machine doesnt do a full reset but its good for getting rid of the light for a little while.

alright, so i removed the battery while i was changin out the air filter because im getting it preped for smog. after putting averything back together, the CEL hasnt been coming back on. i left it idle for about 10mins, no cel yet. am i in the clear? lol, im going to get that mother smogged before i get pounced on with a BOLD LIGHT. wish me luck guys.
edit: oh and thanks for all your help guys, once again, CEG has been greatful to me.

You have to drive around to be sure. Take your car on a good 20-30 min ride and be certain. You might drive to the test station and have it come on as you pull in!

MOTHER_FLIPPeR GOT ME! argh! so, the CEL came up... and i got the codes pulled. P1131 P1151. midas told me that there re Dealer Codes. Anyways, they also gave me a butt load of Possible causes for them. from electrical to fuel systems to induction system, EGR and Engine problems. Only question is where do i start to fix it? is replacing it really the only thing that I have to do? P1131 and P1151 say somthing like "sensor indicates lean" whatts that mean? guys, my month for smog is this month, and i have about a week left. so any help would be greatly appreited

Replace your short ram intake with the stock intake, and clean your MAF sensor (search for the proper method of doing this), reset the PCM, and drive around for awhile and see if it comes back.

Other places to look would be bad upstream O2 sensors, failing fuel pump, clogged fuel pump pickup or fuel filter.

That's the easy stuff that I would look at first.

And before you ask it, yes your "short ram ebay intake" is most certainly capable of causing these issues. Not guaranteed, but definately a possibility.

okay, i did replace two o2 sensors about two days ago. but to make sure. they were both on the bottom. one right underneith the header (coming from the front) and another right undernieth the fire wall. is this where the bad o2 sensor would be? or is there another one?

yes, i know that there are four o2 sensors, i replaced two of them. but still getting the read out. i replaced the bank one and bank two. one under the ire wall, and the other under the manifold. am i replacing the wrong ones? can somone show pics?

yes, i know that there are four o2 sensors, i replaced two of them. but still getting the read out. i replaced the bank one and bank two. one under the ire wall, and the other under the manifold. am i replacing the wrong ones? can somone show pics?

those are the right ones u changed. the upstream ones on both banks. heres a link to one of them.---http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=350

Last edited:
1131 & 1151

1131 & 1151

Lean fuel trim. This link lists most o2 and intake related codes. The fix for P1130 will list everything you should check to correct your faults. The fix for 1130 is the very first item in this tech bulletin. Some are easier to check and fix than others. You may want to start with those. http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/TSB0197HO2SServiceTips.htm
This Tsb has been very helpful. I downloaded onto my comp. and refer to it regularly. Hope you pass the smog test. Dan

Last edited:
Back