• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mod list.

haha yeah big lesson learned. I'm planning to make the sleeperZ style soon. Is better to go with black silicone hose right? so it won't be noticeable if cops ask to pop the hood?
Honestly, since you live in CA, i wouldnt even bother modding it. its just not worth the hassle. spend the time and money turning it into a nice clean show car. if you want you can buy an intake that you can put on just for shows and then take off again for daily driving.

Honestly, since you live in CA, i wouldnt even bother modding it. its just not worth the hassle. spend the time and money turning it into a nice clean show car. if you want you can buy an intake that you can put on just for shows and then take off again for daily driving.

I agree with you. In CA cops are starting to search for CARB or 50 states legal parts now.

if you do the sleeperz style leave the plenum on. It will keep you idle smooth and the cops will notice when you dont have one. id do measurement and such before you get into that one. since the how to is writen for when you remove it.

it is the big black box that sits over your Tb. Its a big air chamber because out manifolds are to small to have one.

Then there's no point for him to do a sleeperz....
Are you going to put an open cone? ....I wonder how cops are going to miss that :crazy::crazy::crazy: :p

read threw WHOLE the sleeper how too

Options To This Intake Include;
1) Install a K&N (or other high flow) panel air filter
2) Install a velocity stack onto the airbox side of the air draw tube (so it will be inside the airbox)
3) Install a velocity stack on the fender side of the air draw tube (so it will be in the fenderwell)
4) Optimize the stock airbox by removing as many of the airflow obstructions as possible
5) Relocate the IAT to the intake manifold
6) Keep the stock plenum over the TB (the Contour needs one) and use 3" pipe and 3" silicone couplers
7) Coat the pipe in a heat resistane substance (either paint, heat wrap, ceramic, etc)

Last edited:
it helps keep a perfectly smooth idel and a stock look. Which he needs.

I don't know what you can get away with over there but in the UK the set up for 200-220 bhp would be:-

1. A flowed cylinderhead.
2. 4-2-1 exhaust manifold
4. Sport cat (200 rather than standard 400 cell) performance mufflers
5. Rally cams (272 duration)
6. A 45mm throttle bodies set up with a new engine management .

oh lol, in that case i know what your talking about lol. Thanks

but with the proper mods you can around average FI power out of it, i belive.

Gotcha Striker, when Ford were developing the engines for the first Mondeo BTCC supertourers in 1993 they were not sure what engines to use, one of the variants they were supposed to have tried was a tuned Zetec. The regs meant it had to be N/A, they were pushing into the high 290's BHP on basically a similar set up to what I have mentioned, still with plenty of developement to go, but obviously the internals were totally different upgrades and the engines were only designed for a short racing life not long term durability

not when you do individual TB's. you have 4 45mm TB's with individual runners, one for each cylinder. the problem however is that you cant go FI with ITB's.

Not true. all you need is a fabricated plenum surrounding the ITB's that is capable of holding said pressure.
This has been common practice for many years with various old le mans racers, indy cars, etc. running turbos.

Not true. all you need is a fabricated plenum surrounding the ITB's that is capable of holding said pressure.
This has been common practice for many years with various old le mans racers, indy cars, etc. running turbos.
yes but in a street car its not exactly practical, especially in something like a contour where there is very little room between the engine and either the hood or the firewall depending on the eninge (zetec or duratec)

heh, you wouldn't need to mount the plenum at the end of the trumpets, you could frabricate it around the bases of the trumpets so you can maintain good volume without taking up an excessive amount of space. You could always 90 to vertical and make the plenum above the TB's as well. There are plenty of ways to tackle this without it becoming overly impractical.

Back