• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mod list.

kw8z3boi

Veteran CEG'er
I was wonder what are some mod that we can do to a zetec that can improve its HP/Performance. Beside turbo/supercharge and intake. I know there might be a lot but I'm just not sure what is recommended.

Note: If you know something, please also describe how would it help.

Last edited:
I was wonder what are some mod that we can do to a zetec that can improve its HP/Performance. Beside turbo/supercharge and intake. I know there might be a lot but I'm just not sure what is recommended.

Note: If you know something, please also describe how would it help.
Check out the stickys at the top of this (zetec performance) forum.

ill even be nice and post the link to, IMO, the best one up there.

get someone to port your TB (someone doesnt mean me)

open up your exhuast. For you, just removing the stock muffler and resonator with a magnaflow would do the trick. Alias put up a thread for his set up (chime in please)

Udp, there is a cheap on on ebay. Works very nicly and is on my car right now. For a focus though i belive. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PULL...209959279QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230209959279)

other then that, you know an intake. (find the cheap focus ram intake, works great)

Go to the classifieds and try to pick up an SVT exhaust. The whole system. You will probobly want a proffesional installation, espicially since your going from a single exahust to a dually

I'm rather curious myself, as I have a zetec with low miles. Main thing I'm concerned with is boosting hp/improving MPG. As long as you don't mess with the fuel system most hp bolt ons give you better mpg if you drive the same.

So far my list is on a decent intake, and cutting out the :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty exhaust. After that I have no clue what next.

get someone to port your TB (someone doesnt mean me)

open up your exhuast. For you, just removing the stock muffler and resonator with a magnaflow would do the trick. Alias put up a thread for his set up (chime in please)

Udp, there is a cheap on on ebay. Works very nicly and is on my car right now. For a focus though i belive. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PULL...209959279QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230209959279)

other then that, you know an intake. (find the cheap focus ram intake, works great)

I'll save up for that pulley. I do have the cheap intake from ebay but I actually need one that is CARB legal.

yea the UDP is deff well worth it...the kid i sold my car to send me an email saying how he wasnt expecting how powefull the winter granny car is lol...

btw how did those tickets work out for you?

the best cheap mods to do to the zetecs are:

UDP ($35 on ebay) and a SleeperZ style intake

If you wanna take it to the next step:

Port TB and open up the exhaust (after two bolt flange)

To go further:

Header, Headwork, Tune

And to go all out:

Turbo, Super, etc.

You could also go into cams and adjustable cam gears, etc., but these really just shift the power curve and allow you to exchange low end torgue for high end HP.

yea the UDP is deff well worth it...the kid i sold my car to send me an email saying how he wasnt expecting how powefull the winter granny car is lol...

btw how did those tickets work out for you?

Well I had to take my car to the state referee which these two asian guys who were in training made fun of me "with the hell fixes up american rice" it kinda pisses me off when they both drive a friggin corolla S and a datsun. First week took it to them, failed Smog cuz I didn't had a dip stick. Second week failed again for not having a "factory stock hose" (manifold to PCV). Third week finally pass. Now I just need to go to the police station so they can write off my ticket for the tinted tail lights. Then need a lot of $$$ to pay an addition ticket.

the best cheap mods to do to the zetecs are:

UDP ($35 on ebay) and a SleeperZ style intake

If you wanna take it to the next step:

Port TB and open up the exhaust (after two bolt flange)

To go further:

Header, Headwork, Tune

And to go all out:

Turbo, Super, etc.

You could also go into cams and adjustable cam gears, etc., but these really just shift the power curve and allow you to exchange low end torgue for high end HP.

Is the intake carb legal?

Man, California sucks!

Anyway, don't count on any noticable gains from the intake or exhaust. These days, most EFI engines (especially small ones) are pretty much maxed out from the factory in their N/A form. Now if you want to go the turbo or SC route, that's another story.

Man, California sucks!

Anyway, don't count on any noticable gains from the intake or exhaust. These days, most EFI engines (especially small ones) are pretty much maxed out from the factory in their N/A form. Now if you want to go the turbo or SC route, that's another story.

this engine does get pretty decent gains off those things though(130ish). But more does require forced, rebuild or head work.

why do you even ask that?

I mean, maybe if you're lucky, you may see an actual good chip rolling on ebay, but neh...

I say if you want to do stuff right, pay the price and get decent stuff...get a chip with tuner and the right files

I understand that you're looking to get more horses, a gas saver won't help you ....lol ...performance and gas saving don't mix...

Change your driving habits, open up the intake, exhaust and you're good to go on saving gas. and in the case when you change your mind, the better intake and exhaust will help ya with getting some performace; just don't make it too obvious to the cops because we're gonna see another round of you selling performance parts in classifieds.. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Back