• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Making Catless sound good.

Pud....have you seen steeda's dyno results? Do you really think you would gain only 3 whp? Seriously?

To say mine sounds like crap without hearing it for yourself....is naive at best man. SZ was a throw on mufflers till i got time to finish my exhaust setup.

Why don't you bring your ass over since you live 10 mins away.....maybe you can finally say wow...harry you are the man...you built a true dual set that sounds awesome!!!!

I'll hear yours eventually, but as it stands I've already heard a handful and they all sound like garbage!

I don't remember Steedas dyno results and it doesn't seem like they were interesting enough stick in my mind. Much more fantastic then any other contour with intake and exhaust? Either way Id sacrifice the power for the sound!

Post the dyno, I'm interested in seeing it.

Bottom line is that you're up on power, bad sound, and still slow!

There is a reason I never dogged how bad barges car sounds under full boost.

Stock exhaust... open air filter
DSC01079.jpg

open air filter with true duals
DSC01440.jpg

look around the 2900 rpm mark...those are huge improvements.

power up date:

Stock: 165hp 144tq Pure Tuning Mustang Dyno

Only change was tru duals
Duals: 180hp 166tq

oh pud 3whp wasn't even close lol

Same day? Same dyno? You sure thats all that changed? Steeda has a way of embellishing facts to make things more effective. You sure he didnt do replace the plugs and wires as well?

Decent gains, but not worth the sound... Did you ever hear it?

Same day? Same dyno?

Decent gains, but not worth the sound... Did you ever hear it?

Yes i did..trust me...i drove teh car around. and then i bought it off the guy who sold it to fordlife (sp) the new owner now. It was garbage man...:nonono: I

When i installed it, i found 14 leaks. It was a piece of crap. He did a horrible job welding up the exhaust. So trust me don't say you helped him fab that crap because it scares me thiking you might work on mine:blackeye:

I threw the thing out and sold off the parts.

Stop editing YOUR POSTS!!! lol

Yeah i drove austins car right when he got it from steeda. Once we took off the true duals and put on the stock exhaust system we had a same day driving between him and i. Lets just say austins car was def slow throughout the power band. Because i drove it afterwards. Night and day difference.
And no..steeda had zero mods extra done on that car. Performance wise those 2 items were the only ones.

Yes i did..trust me...i drove teh car around. and then i bought it off the guy who sold it to fordlife (sp) the new owner now. It was garbage man...:nonono: I

When i installed it, i found 14 leaks. It was a piece of crap. He did a horrible job welding up the exhaust. So trust me don't say you helped him fab that crap because it scares me thiking you might work on mine:blackeye:

I threw the thing out and sold off the parts.

I didn't do any welding :shrug:. I just hung out and helped with what I could

Bottom line is that you're up on power, bad sound, and still slow!

I ran 14.9's at the track while running 11.3 afr. :shrug: Bah if i had a torsen diff i could hit 14.7's for sure.

Bad sound? honestly when you hear my car...trust me you will look at me and say wow man...you did something right because every other true dual exhaust i hear sounded like crap.

Here is the thing, stazi and demon were my main inspirations. So i learn from the best....even though both stazi and demons setup has to be raspy. Demon has resonators with 2 magnaflows in the rear.

If you have space for it, you can install one, but i don't think the cat is the culprit here.
A back fire, is due to several reasons, spark plugs, poor tune, fuel delivery etc etc. Routine maintance needs to be done to make sure your getting proper fuel delivery, check your spark plugs to help tell the tale of problems on your car as of right now.

In your case you should have very little rasp since the turbo itself is actually spooling from your exhaust. Which makes my point that the problem of rasp is not just the y-pipe on our cars, as much as it is the tune/heads/valves/cams etc etc.

Now tell me a bit more about your cars exhaust mods?

Harry, I have a NPG turbo kit on my car with about 600 miles. The plugs are new, but I was running pig rich at first. They don't look too bad but I'm going to change them. The MSDS are brand new, and the rest of the piping before the catback is NPG first run pipes. The tune seems to be fine. It is alot more raspy since the turbo/header/new hot pipe install. I attribute this to removing 3 cats from the system, and replacing them with wide open pipe.

Rod

Bah. Truduals sound fine, you just cant run 2 separate pipes all the way down, need a X/H Pipe IMO

Bevan6 on the boards had probably one of my favorite sounding exhausts and he had truduals.

power up date:

It'd be my guess that the 3whp figure was meant to be 3whp over a normal catback exhaust, which your dyno plot doesn't reflect. Show a back-to-back dyno of the same car with a good catback and a true dual.

Rod, I would lose the Bassani since it's 2.25inch piping and get a 3inch catback as it will help your turbo ALOT more.

Aaron

Rod, I would lose the Bassani since it's 2.25inch piping and get a 3inch catback as it will help your turbo ALOT more.

Aaron
x2
The Bassani is the same diameter as stock and will definitely hold back the turbo. And I also wouldn't put a cat on it unless you need one for emissions. The key to a turbo car is eliminating as much restriction after the turbo as possible. 3" under the car with a resonator or high flow muffler to 2.25" mufflers in the back should sound good.
And I've never really heard a turbo car sound raspy really.
-J

power up date:

Hmmm, Pure Tuning eh? I used to live around the block from those guys. I took my '04 Cobra for a baseline there when they had their grand opening dyno day in '05. They wouldn't dyno it in 4th because 'high hp cars get too much speed in 4th' :shrug: and it only put down 299rwhp, which the import guys loved. I was a little skeptical and after doing the basic bolt-ons it made the power it should have up at Alternative Auto (456/465) so it wasn't a dog.
Maybe they've gotten better but I wasn't impressed.
-J

It'd be my guess that the 3whp figure was meant to be 3whp over a normal catback exhaust, which your dyno plot doesn't reflect. Show a back-to-back dyno of the same car with a good catback and a true dual.

That was done with stock manifolds. Those were done by the moderator Steeda.

Purple on most cars who do install catback exhaust systems with a new down pipe have had dyno's already done. Most have not dyno'd even close to those numbers.:shrug:

Look for yourself. Please post any results that show.....a cat back with a y-pipe that adds that much power:shrug:

i found hetfields numbers that he got at SZ.

178hp
165 tq

That's with K&N, headers, and catback. My baseline three years ago was 165hp and 145tq.
His baseline was very similar to steeda's. This guy even has headers....and he dyno'd 2whp less.

Back