• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Making Catless sound good.

Beans

Addicted CEG'er
Without adding a cat :)

Right now as my SVT Sit's it has Weapon R Headers to Sho-SHOP Catless Y-pipe To a stock exhaust
(Or going to very soon)
I'm wondering what kind of system i should run to keep the rasp/drone down.

I'm THINKING I'm going to do 2.5" down to 2/2.25 for the piping (i think thats ideal for 3L ;) )

So heres what i have thrown together.
For the 2.5"
This?
http://www.greyhoundperformance.com...ersal-Satin-Stainless-Steel-_p_1522-4088.html
Or this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAGN...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
For the 2/2.25", Use 2 of these http://www.greyhoundperformance.com...l-Universal-Muffler-With-Tips_p_657-4330.html

Will the Resonator be efficient enough?

But i am open to suggestions. Que Harrry :D

My setup is pretty close to what you're proposing (except stock SVT mufflers) and I get major league drone. My guess is it would be even worse as the magnaflow mufflers are susposed to be even louder than the SVT.

Ill be watching this thread for sure.

My car has so much drone its not even funny. MSDS-optd ypipe-2.5 piping-flowmaster mufflers.

I hate rasp/drone. I really want to do something about it I just havent heard the right sound yet. So Im glad you asked the catless question.

my $0.02: Headers>Ypipe>Resonator>Resonator (glasspacks)

Just like cuda06 explains in post#10 minus turbo...
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=26549&highlight=turbo+whoring

Ill be watching this thread for sure.

My car has so much drone its not even funny. MSDS-optd ypipe-2.5 piping-flowmaster mufflers.

I hate rasp/drone. I really want to do something about it I just havent heard the right sound yet. So Im glad you asked the catless question.

my $0.02: Headers>Ypipe>Resonator>Resonator (glasspacks)

Just like cuda06 explains in post#10 minus turbo...
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=26549&highlight=turbo+whoring

Flowmasters are poop.
A turbo'd car changes the sound of the exhaust dramatically so, yeah that won't work. And glass packs won't help for rasp.

I have had GREAT luck with Magnaflow mufflers.

I've never experienced drone with them compared to Flowmasters.
Magnaflow is low to no restriction and the sound goes out the back. Not having any baffles in the case doesn't let the drone come up through the floorboard but in some cases it can be loud if there are no cats.

The 3L is a different animal but on my wifes 5.9 powered Durango I have no cat and a 3" center/center Magnaflow on it and it sounds sweet. No drone at all in the truck.

I also have a Magnaflow on my TD Jetta and I've have them on all my rockcrawlers as well.

I installed a flowmaster on my Explorer as well and DAYUM is was nasty, Magnaflow replaced it.

I'm planning on installing them on my CSVT as soon as I'm done with the swap as well.

Needless to say I like em :)

ON EDIT;

One thing I have found with the MF mufflers is the noise level is drastically affected by the inlet/outlet orientation.
As in if you get one that has a centered inlet and a centered outlet it will be MUCH louder than one with a offset inlet/ offset outlet configuration or even a centered inlet/ offset outlet.

sell all that stuff off on here...and get true duals :) Your 3L will thank you :)

If you really don't want to go that route...we can figure something else out :)

sell all that stuff off on here...and get true duals :) Your 3L will thank you :)

If you really don't want to go that route...we can figure something else out :)

You got a pipe bender? :D

tru-dual.jpg

I think a high flow metallic cat would best suit you like it did for me. I can get them on my cost for 70 dollars total 78 shipped to your door. This is not the regular high flow ceramic cat...this has half the holes as those cats and is a lot smaller. . Now metallic is much larger in hole size which allows for quicker release. Which means less holes :)

I wold go this route and call it a day like i did.:shrug:

If your really stuck on not getting a cat. Then we are gonna have to work something else out. I have to hear the car really and then you tell me what you want your car to sound like at what rpms etc etc.

Most people want tons of power and as quiet as possible...which is difficult to do, because your gonna have to give a little take a little to get that final result.

Alright sounds good, I Don't like it quiet, i like an aggressive sound, but there is a point where it becomes annyoing,
Starjammir has catless i like the sound of his car.
TRicker is catless and his is a bit loud for my taste.

:shrug:

Alright sounds good, I Don't like it quiet, i like an aggressive sound, but there is a point where it becomes annyoing,
Starjammir has catless i like the sound of his car.
TRicker is catless and his is a bit loud for my taste.

:shrug:

magnaflow won't work for you....on this one, you already have the cats gone.and now you want the resonator gone. So if you want that balance sound, go with a borla muffler.

Only because it gives off that rich sound of rumble but at wot it doesn't get crazy loud. So your not going to be drawing all that needed attention. Plus at idle is a mellow sound. It really brought to life the svt exhaust tone which i love hearing.

When you get your car up and running....we can talk more than.

It seems borla is way to go, i wish i would of gotten a set sooner instead of getting my edelbrocks.

Harry, I see that you suggest a high flow cat. My car before the turbo was stock into Bassani stainless cat-back= sexy sound, little rasp when cold.
Now that it is turboed it has MSDS headers to NPG hot pipes into stainless Bassani cat-back. It rasps , drones on the highway and it back fires all the time. I read that a cat would actually help with the back fire issues. Do you think it would help with the rasp/drone as well. I have space for one in the flex pipe just before the cat-back.
Thanks

Rod

Harry, I see that you suggest a high flow cat. My car before the turbo was stock into Bassani stainless cat-back= sexy sound, little rasp when cold.
Now that it is turboed it has MSDS headers to NPG hot pipes into stainless Bassani cat-back. It rasps , drones on the highway and it back fires all the time. I read that a cat would actually help with the back fire issues. Do you think it would help with the rasp/drone as well. I have space for one in the flex pipe just before the cat-back.
Thanks

Rod

If you have space for it, you can install one, but i don't think the cat is the culprit here.
A back fire, is due to several reasons, spark plugs, poor tune, fuel delivery etc etc. Routine maintance needs to be done to make sure your getting proper fuel delivery, check your spark plugs to help tell the tale of problems on your car as of right now.

In your case you should have very little rasp since the turbo itself is actually spooling from your exhaust. Which makes my point that the problem of rasp is not just the y-pipe on our cars, as much as it is the tune/heads/valves/cams etc etc.

Now tell me a bit more about your cars exhaust mods?

magnaflow won't work for you....on this one, you already have the cats gone.and now you want the resonator gone. So if you want that balance sound, go with a borla muffler.

Only because it gives off that rich sound of rumble but at wot it doesn't get crazy loud. So your not going to be drawing all that needed attention. Plus at idle is a mellow sound. It really brought to life the svt exhaust tone which i love hearing.

When you get your car up and running....we can talk more than.

It seems borla is way to go, i wish i would of gotten a set sooner instead of getting my edelbrocks.
Should i get like.. 3 Borla Turbo's?

Just FYI Tru duals are about the worst sounding exhaust you can put on a contour. No character, tons of rasp.

Just FYI Tru duals are about the worst sounding exhaust you can put on a contour. No character, tons of rasp.

Holy crap the man got off his video games to make his presence known.

Yeah....you also have no idea what your talking about. Back to the lighting section for you pal :laugh:

Ive had more exhausts then you can count Harry.

Maybe if you managed to take your recluse out to more than a day or two of a Spring Zing you'd get a nice sampling of exhausts.

StrypedSVT? - GARBAGE want to sound like a cessna? this ones for you.
Chang - Raspy raspy raspy
Steedas - (which I helped build btw) Nothing but rasp.

Additionally anyone on CEG thats going to be building a set of true duals is going to go to bobs muffler just up the road and they're going to get nice fancy crush bends that neck down to about an 1" in diameter. You might even get those super high flowing ones that put HOT exhaust pipes right under the gas tanks.

You want a nice catless set up? pick up a trubendz unresonated (magnaflow or borla) with the center muffler and then put two more mufflers in the rear.

Also, as it stands my old car and Raras car had nearly the same set up. I think the reason his droned and mine did not is due to the stock style Y-pipe he had on his car (forward bend kink on the rear bank) where as I was running the Sho-shop.

Count? lol wow i wonder how i got an engineering degree without being able to count :laugh:

Your lips got chapped a lot?

Pud your like 22 years old. You have been driving for 6 years pal.:laugh:
This is no pissing match...because its already over. I've done a hell of a lot more exhaust then you have banged your gf :laugh:

I have done over 25 cars exhaust systems...not counting multiple exhaust styles on the same car. i have modified mine 14 times in the last 3 years.
So you're OCD about exhaust and you still can't build one that sounds good?

Honestly take a number and stand in line on this one man. Your seriously way over your head.
Behind who?
You helped build steeda's true duals? Please those were bought by svtsnob and sat in your basement. I wstill ahve pictures of it on my comp. The only thing from the true duals, was the front end sho-shop pipe:shrug:. What did you build?
Build may have been the wrong word? Helped fab it up may have been a better choice?

Its not the only set though.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with the all knowledgeable exhaust guy... I'm just shocked you keep suggesting such a horrrrrrrible sounding exhaust plan, for what? 3 extra hp?

Your lips got chapped a lot?
Your an idiot lol

So you're OCD about exhaust and you still can't build one that sounds good?
Nope just trying to see what i would like best. I'm just a picky person especially when i want performance without the loud sounding car.

Build may have been the wrong word? Helped fab it up may have been a better choice?
If i recall correctly and which i do :) He used Rara's sho-shop and cut off the end. Then he welded up the flange to the rest of the exhaust. What fabbing needed to be done? 2 welds?

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with the all knowledgeable exhaust guy... I'm just shocked you keep suggesting such a horrrrrrrible sounding exhaust plan, for what? 3 extra hp?

Pud....i know you have seen steeda's dyno results.

To say mine sounds like crap without hearing it for yourself....is naive at best man. SZ was a throw on mufflers till i got time to finish my exhaust setup.
Why don't you bring your ass over since you live 10 mins away.....maybe you can finally say wow...harry you are the man...you built a true dual set that sounds awesome!!!

Back