• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

dunno, dumb question maybe...

For fuel economy sake...will it hurt to unplug #2 and #5 cyclinder injectors to force the duratec to run on 4 cyclinders?

Would there be any economy or would the comp see a problem and maybe go into limp mode?

Just thought I'd ask to see if anyones ever tried....

OK, I may be wrong, but I beleive that even if you unplug two injectors, the same amount of fuel will jsut flow through 4 injectors, not really saving you any gas, and the car will run like complete crap!

Now, I am no mechanic, and could very possibly be wrong, but I wouldn't do it! Thats the bottom line!

With what you say, you would be much better off to take it easy on the throttle and drive slower than to mess with your engine. What you need is to change your effciency, not your motor's.

Where do I start. Your car's PCM knows how many cylinders the engine has. If two are not working (misfire, lack of fuel, or whatever), it will have an effect on the PCM, which will cause a CEL at best.

Also, you will still have two pistons moving, without the effect of combustion to help move them, so the engine will be working harder to perform the same amount of "work".

Just check your brakes, tire pressure. Plugs wires and be on top of oil changes.

My car has 2 codes for the cat...So its causing a slight misfire. and I'm still averaging 25 mpg (About 300 miles per tank) That was all highway at 75 mph.

.... If two are not working (misfire, lack of fuel, or whatever), it will have an effect on the PCM, which will cause a CEL at best.
..".
And will cause it to go to the limp mode. A preset condition with richer fuel than it should when normal. Worse gas mileage.

And will cause it to go to the limp mode. A preset condition with richer fuel than it should when normal. Worse gas mileage.

That was what I figured might occur. I'm not getting 25-30 mpg. No CEL but very poor mileage.

I barely drive the thing more than a couple times a week at best to work and back (34 miles round trip) and I'm going thru 1/2 a tank of fuel.

And I am not heavyfooted in that car. I've actually been babying it lately due to the high idle issue I was having. I cleaned the IAC and TB and reinstalled everything but have not been on a shakedown drive yet. We'll see how it works tomorrow.

For fuel economy sake...will it hurt to unplug #2 and #5 cyclinder injectors to force the duratec to run on 4 cyclinders?

Would there be any economy or would the comp see a problem and maybe go into limp mode?

Just thought I'd ask to see if anyones ever tried....
There's more to it than just stopping the fuel flow. You have to stop the spark and you've got to hold the valves open on the dead cylinders so that the pistons aren't compressing air for nothing and creating more drag. Oh, and the computer has to authorize it. :crazy:
Karl

Yeah... dumb question.

I have uncovered some issues though...

I drove it to work this morning. The idle problem appears to be gone. It was idling a bit high at first but I think the comp relearned and adjusted accordingly because by the time I got to work, the idle was now normal (approx 750rpm).

However, for S&G's i brought my STI jumper to check for any codes at lunch.

Well, I forgot my test light to hook up to the output but noticed I dont have a CEL upon initial startup.

My guess is bulb is out and perhaps I've got some codes out there and hence my poor gas mileage.

roflwtf.gif

Back