• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

LUK clutch failure

those pics are all on the same side of the clutch.... one pic completely in and the next pushed all the way out.

So really, you could just rivet the spline section back in and it woud be good to go again, right? :laugh:

I want to revive this thread because there was good discussion and pictures.

Here are some clutch combos I have here at home.

The first clutch is the LUK 07-137, the second clutch is a used LUK SVT OEM, the third clutch is a CHINA brand.

Notice some things:
-pressure plates are all 9-1/2" across
-clutch discs are all 9-3/8" across
-clutch discs all have 8 springs
-the LUK SVT OEM and the LUK 07-137 discs both have 782 00 stamped on them
-china brand pressure plate "fingers" are closer to the LUK SVT OEM location
-LUK 07-137 pressure plate "fingers" are 1/8" different than the LUK SVT OEM (not sure if that even changes the "pressure" the fingers can apply or how that changes clutch pedal feel)

LUK 07-137
11-19-2012029.jpg

11-19-2012013.jpg

11-19-2012030.jpg

11-19-2012014.jpg

11-19-2012019.jpg

11-19-2012020.jpg

11-19-2012035.jpg

11-19-2012025.jpg

11-19-2012028.jpg

Just a quick question on the Luk clutch. Most of what I am seeing is it breaking at the splines, but usually with a 3L or upgraded cars. I have a pretty much dead stock SVT except for the cold air box that the PO installed. Twisted it pretty tight on a downshift the other day and it popped loud and wouldn't hardly go into any gear. Luckily I was not far from home and after I got home, even with the clutch in, it killed it when I came to a stop. I immediately started it back up and it would go into 1st and 2nd just fine and would pull up the slight grade in my driveway, but after I turned it off and started it back, it had some loud noises coming from it. Maybe the springs or something inside, not real sure. Now after the story, my question is, do you guys who have had more experience with them think the Luk will be alright with a stock SVT? The car gets abuse all the time. Luckily I have not already been through this with the car having 165k on it. But I am hard on one and don't want to put one in that will just be a waste of time and money. Blu, I know you are not a fan of Luk now after your conversation with the non people person at Luk, but I really don't have the money to put 400 plus in a clutch and pressure plate combo. All help would be appreciated.

Think of a clutch as your heart. Would you pay an extra $150 on a clutch kit now so you can have the peace of mind that it probably won't leave you stranded because it's made like crap? You can use a LUK pressure plate and TOB with a Clutchnet disc. Should cost about $300 if you go that route. Or get the full clutchnet kit and still need to buy a TOB. It is a costly pain in the butt to be swapping clutches. LUK also doesn't stant behind their product, so why use them?

exact same as mine. Their shipping is slow but worth it, and I only think its slow is cause they are made to order I think (shrug)

As long as they don't use the same materials as SPEC, you should be fine. It doesn't matter if the springs are fully enclosed or not, if the material is weak, it is going to seperate anyway.

Nobody has tried the Southbend clutches?

I have only heard of the name before .... plus they don't even list the Contour on their webpage. Sounds like they make clutches primarly for trucks. And the few photos I saw look just like Clutchnet clutches.

South-bend has been used with great success by the SHO guys for years. SHOsource stocks a few southbend clutches for the SVT Contour.

-Sam

Back