• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

LUK clutch failure

Yes it is - you don't tell me mister.

Spec - fails at rivits and springs
LUK - fails at center spline and springs
OEM - fails at center spline
Clutchnet - fails at some other spot

What else is there? That's what I thought.... :tappingfingers:

are all of those proven to have been just the clutch itself and not some other reason?

And don't count trickers clutch net failure, it was beat on for 15k miles.

:laugh: - True Brian, there is no proof that it was just the clutch that was the cause of the failure but I know I have seen at least one failure of each brand that was simply a clutch only problem....... I wish we didn't even have to talk about these issues for our cars. Luckily I have a OEM Ford SVT clutch (even though it's made by luk :laugh: ) Those seem to fail the least anyway :laugh:.

I ask because to many just jump to bad mouthing a product when it fails and don't look at why it failed or if it was their fault that it failed. There are so many variables its hard to know sometimes. And seeing some of the work that people do make one question what really happened. But thats not to say that some of these clutches where just defective from the manufacturer and that was the only reason for the failure.

Yes it is - you don't tell me mister.

Spec - fails at rivits and springs
LUK - fails at center spline and springs
OEM - fails at center spline
Clutchnet - fails at some other spot

What else is there? That's what I thought.... :tappingfingers:

Ok what about competition clutch? I have one in my car...stage 2 to be exact. I was told by the shop that originally installed that it would outlast the car. Actually it did outlast the original car it was installed in....but it lives on thru my car now :cool:

Centerforce
F1

are some other clutches that are made for ours cars.

I had a centerforce in my car a long time ago.. it was ok but when I removed it, it was almsot toast with 40-50k miles on it. Alot of chatter from this thing too.

What rexxdoggy said.. my symptoms equal his...so Im sure its something like that. I wont know till the clutch comes in. Once I get it all apart I will take pics.

seems that part of the issue is that most of the other clutches are just copies of other clutches, and they are copies of ones that have been failing ....

I was thinking diff, but it could be in an axle also. if the diff gears let go I believe the speedo should still work.

Correct, the speedo still works when the diff goes out, unfortunately i know this first hand:nonono:.

100% it's NOT axles nor diff. Diff would show signs, and axles, just, no. I talked with Sam and everything he explained to me was the same symptoms of my last two clutch failures. More than likely it's the hub rivet that has blown off and throwing marcel springs, or the spline from the hub has detached, but I'm 100% sure it's the first. $100 says I call it, if not, I don't know WTF I'm talking about then and my clutch blew up from aliens implanting themselves in the hub thinking it was their flying saucer.

The differential doesn't always show signs! Mine never did, and then.. Kaboom!
Aliens did blow up your clutch. Their just covering it up.:laugh:

And one way or the other, with the axles/diff being out of the question, Sam will have to remove the tranny anyway. Whether its the clutch or the singularity that powers everything in our tours:lol:

That's interesting that you say the diff blew up out of no where. Then again, I can see some internal damage happening without any external damage and then one slight impact may trigger the entire diff to explode.

But yes, I am awaiting the pics to see

Well, Sam just called and it was the hub spline that blew out, one of my assumptions. He's getting back to work to put it all back together

Drove the car home last night! Total job 13hours mostly by myself but I did receive some help from Brent for a few hours when he decided to get dirty lol. Thanks bro!
No engine hoist, no car lift.. Pretty insane job. but the car is back on the road. I will post pics of the clutch as soon as I can.

LUK did make Ford SVT clutch kits and the clutch disc was made with a different composite of clutch material (not much of a difference, but it was different). Now, LUK only makes the V6 clutch disc without the SVT disc material, just the standard mix. This was told to me when I was ready to purchase the clutch kit for my 3L swap. I'm sure they used different rivits and spring material since they were originally making these for Ford, hence why the OEM Ford SVT kits are the "best" out of all the options even still today. Cheaper materials, lower price, higher failure rate, even if it is still "LUK" built.

Back