• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Looking at 8" Subs for rear deck install, need help please

Stick with the MTX.....or go get a nice set of component speakers and make custom kick panels for them.

I'm still running the same setup in my SVT... The tang band 6.5" sub, it's a great little sub... If you're looking for something that sounds good its great. If you're looking for a system that will be "loud" (for lack of a better word) this isn't your setup.

I've toyed with playing with the 8" version of my sub but that would require cutting the hole in the rear deck bigger to allow the full surface area of the speaker to be exposed to the cabin. Not that you can't do it, but IMO it's not a good practice.

EDIT: Looking at the MTX you picked out and the Tang Band i'd go with the TB over the MTX for a free-air setup. The larger Xmax alone is enough to give the TB a pretty good advantage in a free air setup. Consider this, you've essentially have no baffle, so the speaker, naturally is going to have a lot more movement. Plus, the TB has a stiffer suspension which helps limit excess movement of the cone...

If you do plan to build a box to mount to the rear deck, you'd have to run some numbers and see what'd be ideal for both subwoofers as far as box sizes go...

check out elemental design auto. they have a range of 8" to 15" with shallow mounts in the 8-10' range. i run a single 10" in a 1 cubic foot box. great sound and really booms if the right type of music is playing.

i eventually plan on moving up to two shallow 10's. with one handling the low freqs and the other handling mids.

For some reason I am really stuck on having some type of enclosure to eliminate the unknowns of making these free air speakers. I will most likely make a ported box that ports to the cabin so I can feel the verbrato of the air also, not just the bass so it should make it a better experience, I think...... :shrug:

If the box is properly designed for the speaker then yes it will *typically* sound better.

However this all depends on the specs of the woofer and what it was designed for as well as the box being appropriately designed around the speaker's specifications...

We had a heat wave today, got up to 34. So I replaced my MTX thunder 4500 with the Tang Bang W8-740P 8" sub. All I can say is WOW!!! It's running on 100 watts of an alpine amp and is mounted in my rear deck.It total blows the MTX away.The MTX would bottom out at high volume with strong bass ,with the Tang Bang I was able to turn up the gain 1/4 turn and it still dosn't bottom out. And the bass output is amazing for an 8" sub, especially one that's not in a box. For $60 shipped to my door I'm very satisfied with it.

We had a heat wave today, got up to 34. So I replaced my MTX thunder 4500 with the Tang Bang W8-740P 8" sub. All I can say is WOW!!! It's running on 100 watts of an alpine amp and is mounted in my rear deck.It total blows the MTX away.The MTX would bottom out at high volume with strong bass ,with the Tang Bang I was able to turn up the gain 1/4 turn and it still dosn't bottom out. And the bass output is amazing for an 8" sub, especially one that's not in a box. For $60 shipped to my door I'm very satisfied with it.

Who the hell are you and why don't you go to our WI meets?! haha! - That just convinced me to go with the tang bangs - thank you ;). - JOE

Just bought the tang bands, not sure why I was calling them "tang bang".... :shrug: - whatever. I will update after I install them to let you guys know what's up. I will be going with a free air setup also, no box unless it really sounds like ass.....

You ordered 2?

I'd guess one 8" sub would give you more than enough sound output. Plus that rear deck rattles like a mofo.... :troutslap:

Did you have the rear deck covered in sound deadening or do you plan to?

When I installed mine, I did a layer of the Dayton audio Dynamat knockoff from PE and liked it a lot...

You ordered 2?

I'd guess one 8" sub would give you more than enough sound output. Plus that rear deck rattles like a mofo.... :troutslap:

Did you have the rear deck covered in sound deadening or do you plan to?

When I installed mine, I did a layer of the Dayton audio Dynamat knockoff from PE and liked it a lot...

That is why I mentioned getting components for the doors. For rock mine doesn't rattle, but rap on the other hand.....then again I do need to adjust my equalizers for the sub output.

With the sound deadening mine doesn't either. :)

Never ran it without but had to add a little more when I first installed it to quiet things down...

I was going to re-steel the entire rear deck for strength and I am installing 2 8" tang bands because I am a freak about symmetry and the price is right. I also don't have the shoulder strap seat belt in my '95 conty so that isn't in the way. If it was at all, I wouldn't know anyhow. :)

What is rattling anyway? I listed what I thought might be:
-3rd brake light
-deck carpet against metal deck
-seat latches
-pull knob for seat latches
-brackets for trunk struts

Who the hell are you and why don't you go to our WI meets?! haha! - That just convinced me to go with the tang bangs - thank you ;). - JOE

Got my SVT 11months ago,first found out about CEG about 8 or 9 months ago, from a chance meeting of a CEG member I met at Gibsons junk yard. And if there is an upcoming meet this spring -summer, I'll be there!
Good thing your planing to reinforce your back deck, I'll nead to do that to mine.the tang band sub rattles it,and the trunk lid, and some plastic trim.:rolleyes:

Just bought the tang bands, not sure why I was calling them "tang bang".... :shrug: - whatever. I will update after I install them to let you guys know what's up. I will be going with a free air setup also, no box unless it really sounds like ass.....

I'll be interested in your assessment as well...:)

Looking at the tang bangs shows little. There is no badging on them, no stickers, nothing. They look very generic but hopefully they perform as well as the reviews say they do. Getting the sound just right will be tricky, but I should be able to get it right.

Now I am wondering if my Alpine 350 V-Power is enough for two of these 8" speakers. It ran one 12" fine but I thought the amp had a left and right output and it is only made for one output :blackeye:......

Don't know if you've built anything yet, but you may want to ditch the 2 8's and go with a single 10". I ran a single 10" Polk MM10 Momo in my SHO's, and it worked grat for SQ comp. The 8's just wouldn't replicate the lower tones needed for any of the music.

Also, 'glassing a box is fairly easy, especially given your technical ability. I would 'glass a custom enclosure to tuck up underneath the rear shelf. I did the same thing, replacing the factory sub in the SHO, and it took up less space.

Sounds like they are in a cardboard box :shrug:.

I won't be working on this until about the end of April, I have lots of things to finish for SZ this is not a priority.

Back