• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Looking at 8" Subs for rear deck install, need help please

blu_fuz

New Member Classroom vulture
I am going to be mounting two 8" subs in the rear deck to get the speaker box out of my trunk. I am thinking about a sealed box to speaker specs. I just don't know what to get:shrug:. I was shown these Tang Bang speakers for $60ea.:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-854

but would I be better off buying the MTX T5508-44 Thunder5500 for $7 more a piece and have the brand to back it up?:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-262

I have generally been steering away from any MTX brand and have never owned them. I like the "not so popular" brands that people raise their eyebrows at confused, nothing against MTX.
Anyone have personal experience with either and care to comment? Any info is appreciated, besides the obvious 50 watts RMS more and smaller cu.ft. needed for the MTXs. Thanks - JOE

Free air. Not only does it look cleaner, but it sounds just fine. Granted they are more expensive. But if I had to choose between what you have, I would take the MTX....I have some of their stuff and love it

The MTX's are not "technically" called free air speakers, but they do have specs for a ported box, so I guess I don't see why free air wouldn't work using the trunk as the box..... :shrug:

For the $7 more, I think it is worth it for the MTX also...... does anyone know anymore info on "free air" setups in the rear deck. I know some have mounted the 8" there, just can't find any info from their posts.

subscribed...i just need a little bit of bumps in the back. Everyone (maybe it was just steeda?) always said just grab the mtx thunder 8" and be done with it but I was always a bit hesitant since it's not technically a free air designed unit as you mentioned.

I have the MTX 4500 thunder, it' a 150 watt 8" speaker, probably 1 step below what your looking at. I'm running it off a 100 watt alpine amp.It's ok for rock but not for realy deep base,and it bottoms out when hit hard with deep base. I have NO base boost set on my amp , the gain is turned down and my head unit is set flat.I was actualy looking into ordering a Tang Bang come spring it looks pretty beefy.

^^ didn't even think of that. I don't like to hear that the sub is bottoming out, because that will be problems later. Anyone else?

Here's what I could find on the topic from MTX's own website...

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/education/enclosureDesign.cfm

Infinite Baffle

An infinite baffle design is defined as an enclosure that contains a greater volume of air than the Vas of the driver. An infinite baffle system can easily be applied to an automobile. This is accomplished by mounting the speakers on a board and using the trunk of the vehicle as the other walls of the enclosure. It is important that there be no leaks that would allow air to move from the front to the back of the cone. Look for speakers where the Qts is greater than .6, and a Vas lower than the volume available (i.e., the volume of the trunk) when selecting a woofer for an infinite baffle system.

According to the MTX specs for the T5508-44....

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/manualsQuickInstall/subs/TechData_T5508-44.pdf

Fs: 42.25 Hz
Qms: 6.49
Cms: 0.156 mm/N
Mms: 90.77 g
Rms: 3.72 kg/s
Vas: 0.355 ft³ (10.04 liters) <<<<<<<<<<< Trunk is definitely bigger than this
Xmax: 0.300 in (7.62 mm)
D: 6.480 in (164.60 mm)
Sd: 33.17 in² (214.00 cm²)
Vd: 9.95 in³ (0.16 liters)
Qes: 0.73
Re: 1.50 Ω
Bl: 7.04 Tm
Prms: 200 Watts
Qts: 0.656 <<<<<<<<<<<< this is above 0.6
ηο: 0.100 %
SPLo: 82.15 dB
SPL 2.83V/1m: 89.42 dB

:shrug: So basically, it could work fine.

Edit: for comparison, the JL Audio 8IB4's I am running have a Qts of 0.68 and a Vas of 1.8 ft^3. So perhaps you should look for drivers with a as high a Vas value as you can get. Remember if you're going to use 2 subs to halve the trunk size (since they are sharing the space... each gets half the air) and stay below that value for Vas.

Maybe I missed it,but I only saw that this is a 1 coil sub, I perfer 2 coil's for subs. :shrug:

More from the MTX education section.....

What is the difference between single and dual voice coil subs?

It is easy to confuse a dual voice coil sub as a better subwoofer, but that’s not the case. You will get the same output from either sub when used in the right application. Both sets of terminals must be wired up when using a dual voice coil subwoofer. Your amp and the number of subs will determine which subwoofer you would want. For example, if you had a TA5601 amplifier and wanted to run a pair of 12s, you would want single voice coil 4Ω woofers. Wiring the two woofers would give the amplifier the correct 2Ω impedance when wired in parallel. Please see Subwoofer Wiring Configuration under the Education section of our website for specific wiring diagrams.

Thanks Q, I was under the impression that a 2coil design would aid in the sub to be able to handle the lower freq easier without bottoming out and casuing distortion or worst (failure):cool:

I have used both MTX amps (Older thunder 280 series, IIRC), and subs (A 10" Blue thunder and later, 2 12" somethings, can't remember right now). Never had an issue with any of them, in fact, I still am using a MTX amp to power my sub. Are there better brands out there, sure. But I think they still provide plenty of quality for the price. Just my .02.

I have used both MTX amps (Older thunder 280 series, IIRC), and subs (A 10" Blue thunder and later, 2 12" somethings, can't remember right now). Never had an issue with any of them, in fact, I still am using a MTX amp to power my sub. Are there better brands out there, sure. But I think they still provide plenty of quality for the price. Just my .02.

Blue thunder!
img

Wow, haven't heard of those in a long time. I was running 2 road thunders for the longest time....actually I still use the box since it is the most awesome box ever:laugh:

3162FZVCVBL._SL500_SS75_.jpg

Can't believe they are still for sale
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...rev=/images?q=mtx++10%22+box+horns&hl=en&sa=G

My friend has basically the same things but in 12" subs and the box had 3" mids as well. Honestly it is one of my favorite speaker set ups ever.

I started out with a sealed 8" in the rear deck. I used an Alumapro sub (no longer made). If you get a 8" sub that requires a small enough box (like the MTX) you can build a sealed box that mounts right to the rear deck. I did this and the box was about thie size of a small shoe box. It hangs down really no lower than the bottom of the magnet would with a free air, And if you paint it black, you cant even notice it. You couldnt even see mine unless you looked up into the trunk. Great sound and no rattles.
Only problem is that with an 8", road noise will drown it out if you drive with your window open in the summer. Thats why I upgraded to a 10" Diamond Audio M6 sealed in the rear deck, and now I have a 12" D6 (way to big for the rear deck)

Thanks Bob.

So what I gather from post #10 from you is that:

If I plan on using the T5508-44 MTX 8" subs mounted in the rear deck, I would need to seal off the trunk space from the cabin, where the speakers meet the deck, and cover the "vent" flaps under the rear bumper to enclose the trunk like it is it's own speaker box.

That is almost exactly what I was thinking if I couldn't/didn't use a sealed system. Thanks :)

Thanks Bob.

So what I gather from post #10 from you is that:

If I plan on using the T5508-44 MTX 8" subs mounted in the rear deck, I would need to seal off the trunk space from the cabin, where the speakers meet the deck, and cover the "vent" flaps under the rear bumper to enclose the trunk like it is it's own speaker box.

That is almost exactly what I was thinking if I couldn't/didn't use a sealed system. Thanks :)

I thought I remembered reading a post about that it is a bad idea to close off those vent flaps.

it is bad to do that, I just thought it would help with sealing off the trunk

I just bought a little 6" 7Kv.2 Subwoofer from Elemental Designs because they're closing them out. I don't know how to read technical, so I don't know if they're good for free air, but I'm going to do a sealed box under the rear deck. Not bad for $37.50.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=371

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Qts: .29
Qes: .30
Qms: 10.5
Fs: 28.00Hz
Re: 3.2
Vas: 22L
Mms: 50.0g
Bl: 13.30T*m
SPL: 85dB
Sd: 114cm²
Xmax: 13.0mm