• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Just came back from the strip...

I can say it is desrespectful of him too, to come and tell me what I have said isn't true, which would make me a liar.

Ok, have you guys seen the car run personally that you are assuming the car has a good tune?

I have driven and seen the car, seen his datalogs that is how I can comment on his tune. You guys are just commenting based on your assumptions.

It is on stock timing tables! Does this make sense to you? If it doesn't then you should try to read up before commenting about his tune.

u're right. i'm a novice when it comes to tuning. the bit i know, i got from going back n forth with SCT and joey adjusting different parameters on my tune. fwiw, u started this. all i said at the beginning was that nima's car doesn't have minimal mods. there is little else he couldve done to greatly increase the power of that car. like i said b4, he has installed the biggest power adders for our car for the most part. headers, intake, exhausts, cams(debatable), 3L, etc... my sig tells u what i've got. except, the TB is still stock also. trust me, no one is hating on nima's car. i'll be the first to give props to whomever its due. and u and nima deserve the props. great times. i wish i could be there also.(working on that:)). i also agree with the leaving the stock heads untouched thing also. but i'm forcing air through mine. my car didnt know what hit it;).

I'm just glad people are actually starting to make more power with the 3L's.

It was kind of sad when my basically stock, just w/ a tune, 2.5L made more power than someone's new 3L swap at a dyno day.

Hey Mark, there is no secret. Everyone else is not running the same setup, they are runing differnet setups. There are other cars with similar setups who make similar power.

And I have not said his throttle body isn't functioning, it is just not opening up fully, it only opens up 95%, which is restriction.

Look at my car, my car is still on stock heads, stock intake manifold, and stock exhaust manifold, and it runs 10's. Has been running 10's for the past 2 years, and being daily driven.

The problem is that some people don't want to mod a fuel rail to use the stock heads, but go through the trouble of porting heads, matching ports by eyeballing, without having proper knowledge of what they are doing. I wouldn't touch a head if my life depended on it, I'd leave it to professionals who know what they are doing and have experience in doing so.

He has been defending this all along, and some people here have been arguing this over, he has posted time slips, videos and his setup, and still those people aren't satisfied with all this that oval port is a much better set up then a split port set up. In the end, he is posting everything on here for your good too, sharing his knowledge and setup so everybody here can do so too. I hope no body is taking this stuff personally, I and I am sure Nima too, would love every single contour enthusiast out there making more power.

Well there's no question that not everybody is running the same setup, or everyone would be hitting atleast high 13's on a naturally aspirated 3L. I've been out of the 3L game for a little while now, having had a hybrid 3L when I did own a Contour. There are still some members on here that run 3L's that haven't been torn down, and the heads are untouched, with similar bolt-ons, that are still making ~190whp. I'm just trying to see exactly what the difference is between these basic setups, and Nima's setup. I know he has the ST220 UIM and from what you say, a basic tune? This is in no way, my way of calling you a liar. I just don't see where all the power is coming from. It's definitely not coming from an unmolested fuel rail. Maybe I just don't come to the 3L forum enough, as I haven't seen anything on Nima's setup. Any chance we could get a little bit of a breakdown on his 3L? :cool:

Mark

A few questions regarding Nima's setup.

Are the true duals ran underneath the gas tank to avoid any bends?

What throttle body? I'm assuming 65mm. Optimized?

What intake system?

I'm assuming it has the UDP's?

Is this car ever going to end up on the dyno?

hey mani. i've go to agree with harry. it was disrespectful. i just didnt take offense to it. i imagined someone would tho. and i dont think harry was thinking nima has a 95 pcm. he was only trying to make the point that the car isnt as untuned as u made believe.

Ding ding ding!!! :)

I can say it is desrespectful of him too, to come and tell me what I have said isn't true, which would make me a liar.

Ok, have you guys seen the car run personally that you are assuming the car has a good tune?

I have driven and seen the car, seen his datalogs that is how I can comment on his tune. You guys are just commenting based on your assumptions.

It is on stock timing tables! Does this make sense to you? If it doesn't then you should try to read up before commenting about his tune.

I'm sorry for making assumptions, since he hasn't made any posts after his initial one about his car. So i assumed he tuned his car? I don't see why i wouldn't assume that since he does tuning for people. A tuner not tuning his 3L car? Just running it off a stock pcm? Makes me not want a tune from him if he thinks a stock pcm tune is good enough.(sarcasm) I think your brother is intelligent enough to run a few laps to see his fuel trims and make slight adjustments for now. Which reassures him while drag racing that he doesn't blow his engine up.
I guess anybody in their right mind would assume a tuner would do this the first chance they got.

Yeah five-oh slap me Saturday. I thought demon ran on street tires, but then i realized it was warmonger who ran at one time on street trim to see what he can do even with that huge sound system in the back of his car.

A few questions regarding Nima's setup.

Are the true duals ran underneath the gas tank to avoid any bends?

What throttle body? I'm assuming 65mm. Optimized?

What intake system?

I'm assuming it has the UDP's?

Is this car ever going to end up on the dyno?

I would hope nima makes it on the boards, i would love to hear a break down of everything he has done to his car.

I would hope nima makes it on the boards, i would love to hear a break down of everything he has done to his car.
x2
I spent about half an hour searching his old posts and then got bored :)
It was a great run Nima, any info. on your combination appreciated.
-J

Hey guys,
Here is the basic setup

2004 Escape engine (stock long block, no headwork or anything)
SVT cams
ST220 Upper intake
65 mm TB semi-optimized
Short air intake with stock maf
EGR Delete
MSDS headers
All stainless true duals, run under the gas tank
Stock gears + Quaife
Weight reduction wise - its only missing the spare, jack, tire iron

Hey guys,
Here is the basic setup

SVT cams
ST220 Upper intake
65 mm TB semi-optimized
EGR Delete
MSDS headers
Stock gears + Quaife

wow! and u're in the 13s with these mods??? i think this just tells us that the rest of us have got to work harder instead of just sitting on our hands and sayin 12s are impossible for our cars. if u're running 13.5 with these mods, then BY GOD we can definitely hit 12s.

i never doubted 12's, its just people willing to put the money up to get there, for example, higher stage axels, will help greatly, but to get stronger then what's readily available will cost a lot.

I think people are just listening to the wrong music when they are dragging their car. Now if you had a Tool cd in your car when you drag, I am sure you would be doing a lot better. :laugh:

Hey guys,
Here is the basic setup

SVT cams
ST220 Upper intake
65 mm TB semi-optimized
EGR Delete
MSDS headers
Stock gears + Quaife

Were you ever able to scan in your slip? A 13.5 with the above mod list is definitely not the norm, so the more information the better. We all know that the Duratec motor "generally" does not respond well to N/A mods. For instance, I had a 3L hybrid with MSDS headers, Bassani catback, short ram intake, 65mm T/B and a decent tune. I know that dynos vary, but that setup put down 206fwhp and 195fwtq. I'm not here to debate the hybrid and the straight 3L, I'm here for insight. Would you say that the ST220 UIM, true duals, and the oval port heads are enough to gain ~40 more HP over the above mentioned setup? If this is the case, people should definitely be trying their best to mirror your setup.

Before any tuning or the 65mm T/B, I was making 196fwhp / 191fwtq, and with a 2.13 60' time and some really good shifting(very minimal wheel spin), my best time was a 14.4 @ 96mph. My best trap speed was 97mph. To gain a full second at the end with an 8mph increase in trap speed, and a slower 60' time, I'd gauge you to be in the 240whp range at a minimum, which is incredible!

Mark

Hey guys,
Here is the basic setup

SVT cams
ST220 Upper intake
65 mm TB semi-optimized
EGR Delete
MSDS headers
Stock gears + Quaife
Thanks man. So I assume the ST220 UIM bolts to the oval port Escape LIM?
Any pics of the engine?

For all the guys asking about drag ET, you have to remember 60' and traction are the key to ET. I know that was only a 2.27 60' but I'm guessing the DRs kept traction through 1/2 and on the shift :shrug:.
Also, the trap speed is great. The weather is about perfect now and it may in fact be the combination of ST220/well-designed true duals that accounts for most of it. Would be interesting to see it on the dyno.
I'd say 12s would be possible in a FI Contour but I've never seen anyone here take the right approach to get the best ET at the strip---no reason the FI guys with close to 400hp can't get there, none at all.
Good weather, DRs or bias-ply slicks, good launch and shifting and it would happen with practice. Now the drivetrain casualties is another story :laugh:.
-J

Were you ever able to scan in your slip? A 13.5 with the above mod list is definitely not the norm, so the more information the better. We all know that the Duratec motor "generally" does not respond well to N/A mods. For instance, I had a 3L hybrid with MSDS headers, Bassani catback, short ram intake, 65mm T/B and a decent tune. I know that dynos vary, but that setup put down 206fwhp and 195fwtq. I'm not here to debate the hybrid and the straight 3L, I'm here for insight. Would you say that the ST220 UIM, true duals, and the oval port heads are enough to gain ~40 more HP over the above mentioned setup? If this is the case, people should definitely be trying their best to mirror your setup.

Before any tuning or the 65mm T/B, I was making 196fwhp / 191fwtq, and with a 2.13 60' time and some really good shifting(very minimal wheel spin), my best time was a 14.4 @ 96mph. My best trap speed was 97mph. To gain a full second at the end with an 8mph increase in trap speed, and a slower 60' time, I'd gauge you to be in the 240whp range at a minimum, which is incredible!

Mark

Mark,

In regards to someone mirroring his setup, I plan to add the ST220 UIM, true duals and 65mm tb to my SVT this winter and will dyno the car to see what it puts down. I think it will be interesting to see the gains of those mods over my setup on the same dyno. I am hoping that these mods will take me from my 216whp and 198whp to at least 235whp and nicely in the 200's for wtq :).

Aaron

How much does the erg delete help out these cars? Aren't most people on here still running the egr?

Back