• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

It's blue!

Contour's look great in blue, nice choice.

One comment though, please don't paint the interior bezels, I think that looks really ricey. I mean that's what the kids who have shopping cart civics and cavaliers do down the street from me. I think maybe putting carbon fiber wrap on it would look good, keep with the exterior theme. That said your car is bad ass, your attention to detail is impeccable which I love. Can't wait for videos of this beast in action :)

Oh there will be a video that much I can guarantee... it will be epic too. I can see it now... sound track music from the movie Inception... boom, the garage door opens, fast forward the car is sitting in the dark, boom, the running lights kick on... oh yes it will be good haha.

As for the bezels yea I don't know... I had them matched with T-red before and I liked how it looked. I don't want to over do the carbon fiber either. I will already have the hood, roof, trunk, sail panels, mirror bases, rear diffuser... oh crap I hadn't let that one out of the bag yet... oh well :laugh:

Rear diffuser in carbon fiber?????????????? You have my attention. I want carbon mirror bases and sail panels....will you do mine buddy?? Nice job so far....love the color. I want a blue CSVT so bad.....blue is my favorite color and its just fitting my favorite car manufacturer has a Blue Oval!! haha

Ive been thinking of a rear diffuser. Its pretty easy to do as well. I was thinking of getting a new hatch subaru CF one and just cutting out and molding it into the rear bumper. Pretty easy actually. I dont think I am going to do it tho....

This one specifically:
blacktopaeroreardiffuser3.jpg

But it wont be functional. Are you looking to do something functional?

- amyn

Everything that i have dreamed of doing to my contour you are actually doing!! i can't wait for this to be done it is going to be beautiful

Yea there have been some set backs though. We were not happy with a few spots on the car when we were finished sanding.... so yea... we are sanding down the whole chassis again removing all the orange peel and then laying a couple more coats of base coat and then clear.

As for the diffuser I will be cutting out the black plastic of the rear and attaching my own carbon fiber design rear diffuser. It will be made to match my Porsche GT3 dual exhaust tips. So the diffuser will most likely be a one off part. I will install mounting tabs on the rear bumper and then also attach it below the spare tire where there is currently a cover plate for some of EVAP components I believe. I don't know maybe this project is complete and I have spare time maybe I will offer to make the diffusers for others.

Something similar to this, although I might completely surround the tips, not sure yet

bmw-m3-e92-e93-h-style-carbon-fiber-rear-diffuser-5b839.jpg

I know its from the same can of paint and all....but painting outside of a booth...I would be worried about temp and humidity changing the shade of the color a tad between the parts...since your painting in pieces and not on the same day?? This is coming from hard lessons learned. I would have shot everything on the car in blue...jambs and all....and pulled things off to clear seperately. Because I know you are going for no tape lines in the jambs (otherwise I would have jambed it all then assembled and shot the whole car at once). Doing the base all at once then clearing panels seperately ensures color match between panels...especially being a four door car and all. Dont want the checker pattern while looking at the side of the car.

Just wondering the plan of attack....not sure if you mentioned it already...not trying to start any forum wars. lol

I know its from the same can of paint and all....but painting outside of a booth...I would be worried about temp and humidity changing the shade of the color a tad between the parts...since your painting in pieces and not on the same day?? This is coming from hard lessons learned. I would have shot everything on the car in blue...jambs and all....and pulled things off to clear seperately. Because I know you are going for no tape lines in the jambs (otherwise I would have jambed it all then assembled and shot the whole car at once). Doing the base all at once then clearing panels seperately ensures color match between panels...especially being a four door car and all. Dont want the checker pattern while looking at the side of the car.

Just wondering the plan of attack....not sure if you mentioned it already...not trying to start any forum wars. lol

I have a friend that paints with HoK stuff a lot. He has great success with it. He also paints in his garage as well. Little more light then me, which is nice, but what we had was still good enough. We just had to roll around lighting to ensure we could see everything. Anyway my friend for one example, painted the roof of his Volvo, then later painted the chassis and doors, and then like 4 weeks later painted his bumpers. They all match perfectly. HoK sprays nice and has good coverage. However what we found to be root cause in our case was that we follow HoK specs to a tee and mixed the base at a 1:1, which makes it spray thin. My friend says he always mixes it 2:1 and it turns out perfectly. So we will be mixing it 2:1 this next time around to ensure it flows nice. We did not have any checker patterns or stripes with the paint job, it was just light in some spots because it wasn't covering well.

Cool deal. Yeah as long as the shop temp is the same...you should be fine. I was just worried cause I had an issue with cheap ass OMNI before. I am a PPG at heart....pretty much all I spray at home on side jobs and for myself. I spray Sherwin Williams at work...not a huge fan...but its decent stuff. LOVING the color Mike!! Keep up the good work....good luck with the respray! Dont worry I know the feeling....we have all been there and done that....just shows your human. lol

mmmm... but subaru's can be had in carbon fiber which is :drool:
Overrated. Carbon fiber overlays were so 5 years ago, unless they actually save weight like a Zonda.

btw the car looks sick! any valance is gonna look great on that thing.

that is an awesome blue! i have seen a few svts in blue, but that shade looks great so far, i cant wait to see it complete! how much would a paint job like that typically cost? just wondering

that is an awesome blue! i have seen a few svts in blue, but that shade looks great so far, i cant wait to see it complete! how much would a paint job like that typically cost? just wondering

Depends on the amount of body work you needed to begin with. But Id say around 8 or 9 grand.

Back