• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Is a K&N RU-3530 + heatshield really better than a dropin K&N filter + SVT heatshield

Believe me. I dont have that mentality with Ford products. But SVT went out of their way to put on a different intake for the sake of airflow compared with the standard v6. They get a check in my book for that.

As much as i agree, i'm suprised they took that route to add more power:shrug:. And it wasn't cheap!! It would of been just as cheap for ford to put a torsen instead since they were already developed. Instead of redeveloping a new intake housing.

So the snorkel to draw cool air into the filter box is a restriction?

Yes which is why we have burrita designing a cold air intake system. It replaces the intake housing and that stupid silencer. And sends that intake pipe he designed into the fender.

Have you ever sen that silencer?

The tube that goes into the fender of the car, that is called a silencer, to reduce intake sound from under the hood.

I always thought this was used for drawing cold air. Notice the drivers side plastic fender well has a hole to allow air to be pulled up to the intake, where as the passenger side fender well does not.

I always thought this was used for drawing cold air. Notice the drivers side plastic fender well has a hole to allow air to be pulled up to the intake, where as the passenger side fender well does not.

Oh it's true it does that also. Ford had to create some time of noice reducer and since most 4cly zetec cars come with intake baffle tubes attached, svt didn't want that on our car cause it is a restriction. So they reduce the cars noise by adding the silencer.

Goverment regulations are a pain the but, i'm currently working with a hella enginner designing a 3 part light system and we are having ahell of a time keeping costs down to what dodge wants the light produced at.:blackeye:

It creates a hollow light that carves out the car in front of you. Diverting the light around the car so the person in front doesn't get blinded. At the same time everything else gets max light potential. But this is super secret and i won't say anymore. But it seems that the car companies are moving into leds alot quicker and expecting advanced electronics to control the lights at all times. Yes to make things entertaining we have a heat sink on one of our chips to help control heat output. It's getting really advanced what these companies want from their lights. :crazy:

But yes regulations is what holds most companies back and cost. Since everything is controlled by cost most of our ideas and kept in the closet untill technology makes it cheaper to build.:shrug:

okay back to work later guys.

Have you ever sen that silencer?

I've only seen where it goes into the fender. If its anything like my mazdas though there is a silencer box it connects to. I had them ripped out of both cars but never noticed a difference. Of course the turbo would overcome just about any restriction once it started spooling.

well since we are on this topic. what year and engine size mustang uses the same filter as the svt? i remember people talking about finding them cheaper listed for mustangs. i am going to start putting the stock svt intake on for winter.

the se one is plastic. I recall the svt one being different. I'll look at the one I took out tonight if I remember and I will check to see if I have the se one handy also and post pics of the two.

They are both plastic, the svt one is made from abs plastic? Which is what i would think the SE is made out of.

I've only seen where it goes into the fender. If its anything like my mazdas though there is a silencer box it connects to. I had them ripped out of both cars but never noticed a difference. Of course the turbo would overcome just about any restriction once it started spooling.

Yes we have them right after the air intake housing. It goes into the fender and it s shaped like a circular/square L shape bx looking thing.

It is a horrible design and has a major kink in it. If you just take off that kink the stock housing works great imho. That is what i did for years just to keep the intake volume really low. Yeah i'm old and hate the idea of a loud kinda annoying intake sound that makes people think my car hits 13's all day :shrug:

Does this really make a difference when the intake maniford is about 150+ degrees at operating temp? It's probably a negligible difference between the baffled open air element and the high flow drop in in terms of temp -once it reaches the end of the manifold.

classified ads are not allowed here. please notify an admin if you can't post in the classifieds.

Cross reference with the mustangs is:

1994 -1995 V8 5.0L
1996 -2004 V6 3.8L

Last edited by a moderator:
well i am looking at a dry flow type. i read good things about the AFE and the price is right.

You have been hanging around dyoel for too long :laugh:

DYOEL is the proud sponsor of dry flow filters :laugh:

Put that in your signature lol

Back