• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC: Push Button Start Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its starting to look like the kit 2 is going to be fist avail. to cars with the pats sys only to start with. Looking into stand alone pats system for another option... Pics of kit 1 to come this weekend with test video...

If I remember to do this tomorrow, I'll use my spare to start my car with my PATS key close and see if it shuts off when the PATS key is moved away... IIRC.. this shouldn't be a problem since PATS should only check when the ignition is starting for the key... after that, it shouldn't really need to check anymore... if it did you'd think they would have named it... AATS....

:cool:thats true cause its passive anti theft system ,,, not active... hmm... let me know how that goes ... oh and how close it has to be if you can.. I wont be able to start my testing til sunday.

:cool:thats true cause its passive anti theft system ,,, not active... hmm... let me know how that goes ... oh and how close it has to be if you can.. I wont be able to start my testing til sunday.

When I did my remote start system... I'm pretty sure I had to hold the key right up to the cylinder for it to read it... too bad we couldn't some how boost the antenna to reach further so we could make it easier to put the key where-ever when you get in... or not have to be too specific on how close you set the key to do push start...

I'll try to remember to do it.. It may slip my mind until I read this again... I have a 21st birthday and some work to do on my other SVT this weekend... we'll, hopefully I don't forget..

Very interested! I think more-so in kit 1 though...I think. Am I reading this right that in kit 1, you'd still have to have the key in the cylinder...and in kit 2, the button replaces the cylinder? I think I got that right.

Also, are these a plug and play kind of deal? If not, how much wiring work is required? Doesn't bother me if there is, just curious as to the degree of installation. How does the dimmer switch get wired into the whole setup? Lastly (lol), would there be some sort of write-up so the rest of us can follow along? Thanks!

I have a keyless entry system/alarm with a built-in ignition cut-off. I think it would work well to disable the steering lock, leave the key in the PATS detector somewhere inside the dash, hook up the "ACC" and "RUN" key positions to some toggle switches on the dash, then use a push button for the ignition.

This way even if someone broke into the car, it wouldn't start until the alarm was disarmed, but no key is ever required.

Very interested! I think more-so in kit 1 though...I think. Am I reading this right that in kit 1, you'd still have to have the key in the cylinder...and in kit 2, the button replaces the cylinder? I think I got that right.

Also, are these a plug and play kind of deal? If not, how much wiring work is required? Doesn't bother me if there is, just curious as to the degree of installation. How does the dimmer switch get wired into the whole setup? Lastly (lol), would there be some sort of write-up so the rest of us can follow along? Thanks!

what it is, if i am thinking of this right, the 98+ have roof mounted lights so that dimmer didnt have that extra 'click' putting out a neg output to turn them on being there is that switch above the mirror, So Aussi gave me a dimmer out of the older ones so i just used that as a hidden swich basicly.... So that neg out went to my push button, wich connected the relays ground to start the car...

AS far as KIT1 goes, yes it is plug and play for the main part, All you would have to do is with the long wire left run that to where ever you decide to mount your button and then ground the botton...So the button being two tabs off the back, one goes to my plug, the other gets grounded, the relay gets its + from the setup itself....and yes there will be a picture tutorial on the install. all you have to drop is the bottom of the steering colum cover and where ever else you want to put the button, Plug, Mount, Ground,PLAY

ALSO, im now taking thoughts on just selling the harnest and letting people find the switch they would prefer to use.Because the ones Im looking for run about 10 and still having trouble getting them prolonging the sales,OR I can offer the kit cheaper if you would prefer to buy your own...But it has to be one way or the other, because if i buy the buttons i have to do it as a Bulk meaning i would have to sell them with my kits,so you could use ur own, but ud still end up paying for mine too...

Please give me thoughts on this,
Do we want to buy as a plug using our own switches??

So what does kit 1 essentially do? Do you still need the key to start the car? Only thing I see it being good for is to give someone the keys to your car and have them not be able to start it (with the key start disabled)

So what does kit 1 essentially do? Do you still need the key to start the car? Only thing I see it being good for is to give someone the keys to your car and have them not be able to start it (with the key start disabled)

It looks to me like, because of PATS, both versions will require a key. #1 requires the key in the ignition, and version 2 requires the key communicating with the PATS halo in some way.

I'm still interested in kit 1.

How would you turn the car off with kit 2?

E-brake up, put it in 5th, and drop the clutch, duh.
:laugh:

Seems like a good idea, I'll be following it. If you can somehow get it to replicate the way Lexus makes their button starting system........:drool:

I'm still interested in kit 1.

How would you turn the car off with kit 2?

Well in design there is one latched switch (on/off) so you would push it on, then the other button would start then when ur done, click the first button again and it would shut off...

Yea you will still need your keys but more like tossed in the coin tray where the reader is placed below it... BUT AGAIN, this hanst been played with, so for right now all i have set and done is KIT1...
Putting together 3 harnests for sale to start til i get more parts, Still waiting to see if we would like to use our own push buttons or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back