• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I mocked up the fmic

Ryan, I have a few ideas on how to get that thing down 1.5 - 2"

On the passenger side, do you have a piece of pipe between those two 90* couplers? It looks like it in the pictures. You could easily remove some material from there, cut the couplers and the pipe beneath them so that side is lower.

Now, the drives side looks to be a bit more challenging. Is that a 180* that goes from the IC?

If so, what does it connect to? Another 90* coupler or something? Can you get me some pics of what is going on on that side?

My hope is that you will be able to rotate that 180* piece downward to get it lower. This will effectivly reduce the distance between the back of the FMIC and the radiator and stuff, but will get you more airflow across the core.

At least that is how I am seeing it based on the photos.

If you care to discuss in more detail PM me your ph#. Don't worry, this can be done. Get some more photos up of the plumbing going to and from the IC and I am sure we can help.

Yes ryan just cut the 90 elbows where they meet and you will then drop it down the top tank should just sit right behind the 5mph bumper then the core being exposed in the grill if you sat the bottom tank right on the bottom bumper you would perfect height. You know all the bends are small restrictions nothing that will keep you from making 10 psi or 14 psi at the motor I promise the end results of the 10 psi in the motor will be 375whp ++ so don't sweat the bends If you wanted to see the restriction you woul just plumb your boost controller after the intercooler to measure the boost then test it at the UIM and you will see your boost drop there.

The reason we can't have all the piping on one side is because there eimply not enough room to run two 2.5" piping on the driver side. I was surely not going to run both to the passenger side creating more piping (volume) to butcher the car. The setup we run is not restrictive heck just .75" wider FMIC than his before we ran over 360whp 375whp which was 43 lbs/min and only saw a .5 psi drop after 6500rpms so this intercooler will make whatever he wants because his turbo will run out of air first anyways. I do agree my setup will flow a little better because the airflow is not switching direction like his but all he has to do is just cut the piping coming under the radiator where it is pointing forward insdtead of to the driver side then add the 90 degree coupling with inside curve facing rear and then have the next 90 degree elbow inside curve of course facing the way it is.

I am going to re-start this tomorow morning, I have had a few beers after a LONG productive week of work so I am not touching the car right now, and I will have to re-read both your posts tomorow anyways,lol. But yes shogofast I planned on cutting a bit off the coupler and elbows. I will take plenty of pics and such tomorow while I am fixing all this.

I am glad I did this in the begining mainly cause I have learned alot from it, and I am all about learning new things about f/i!

I got around to moving it down 2 1/2" today,and cut a few inches off the elbow and pipe in the middle but, ITS DONE. But its raining so I wont drive it till tomorow.

fmicredone001.jpg

fmicredone002.jpg

fmicredone003.jpg

fmicredone004.jpg

looks good Ryan! How did you get it down that far? It didnt look like you could drop it more then an 1nch or 1.5nch. How long did it end up taking how? Let us know How she feels!

I had plenty of room above and below the holes I drilled in the strips to mount it, so I drilled new ones and it dropped it 2 1/2", and thats exactly what it took. I will be taking it out tomorow if it isnt raining and will post after what I feel.

Thanks Trey, I cannot wait to drive it tomorow. Hey if you come out to jmo's party(check blindside) aug 16th I will be giving free rides in it:cool::cool:

Where do you live? And if you want one that bad come to Gulf Coast Thunder, there will be mine,Joey's and whoever else decides to show.

Where do you live? And if you want one that bad come to Gulf Coast Thunder, there will be mine,Joey's and whoever else decides to show.

Im in wisconsin haha, but i was down that way to pick up my car a few months ago lol.

My car is down for a little while its got a cold:laugh:

Fantastic Ryan, that looks sick!!! You'll be doing more work on your own cars in no-time. Gotta be a little confindence booster eh?

I am inspired now, going to finish porting my heads now. Maybe, just maybe, I will drive this thing this summer.

Yeah its alot easier than I let on to myself beliving, but as far as engine work I will leave that up to ob1.

Its ALOT more power now, like OMG more power. But I posted a thread in f/i about the bov noise.

Sweet you got it working!!!!!

Looks great and i'm glad you tackled it your self. Good job man!!!

I bet you feel damn good about yourself, and i know now you understand alot more about FMIC then before. So it def will help you explain the car better to other people now, when asked about it.

Back