• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I got 4 laps!

their all scored up huh? hard too see. im wondering if just making a pickup tube lower in the oil pan would help. or making larger drain back holes in the block

also what motor do you have? i recently took apart my 04 taurus. and with 80K on the motor and 40K of that was me redlining it on the daily. the rod bearings looked brand spankin new. still had the original oiling groves. not a bit of wear except where the bearing crush is

Yes all the bearings had damage and one of them was pretty much shredded, as if there was no oil getting to them at 6k rpm. Its an 04 taurus motor, and its seen plenty of abuse along with horrible tunes on it.

Here is the 27k mile 05 MPV engine that I have had sitting around for the SVT but really didn't want to port out the heads for split port on such a nice engine, so its going in the cougar now. :laugh:

Not that this has much to do with this thread, but this came in the mail today. Missed out on buying this kit several times now, finally got the chance last week and didn't think twice. I won't be putting it on anytime soon, but its the first step to my ultimate goal which is a forged 3L with the boost running e85. Unlike the vortech kit I had, my longtubes can stay right where they are for this supercharger!

oil baffle for the win... just sayin ;)

Timing chain acts as an elevator carrying the oil to the heads. One of the big time Noble shops did a study with the engine and determined the timing chains could empty enough out of the pan to starve the pickup in just a matter of seconds when in a turn. This is why they have track pans and oil pan baffles.

Not sure why some motors are so sensitive to rod bearing failure. 3 CEG members raced at VIR and none of us had engine issues. One stock 2.5L SVT motor, one Ported 2005 3L, and another 3L (unsure year/build type). :shrug:

2.5L svt motor has a svt pan.
My 05 3L has a svt pan.
Other 3L has Taurus/Escape updated pan (this member has blown 4 3L engines in the same car probably using the same pan)

Also, ever other ported 3L I built was with a SVT stock pan and all are still on the road with no problems.

Slashed as-in assuming it was some kind of OEM non SVT pan, ie: escape/Taurus

It made me slash assume you thought they were the same. as-in not SVT a Escape/Taurus.

1370.gif

:laugh:

Not sure why some motors are so sensitive to rod bearing failure. 3 CEG members raced at VIR and none of us had engine issues. One stock 2.5L SVT motor, one Ported 2005 3L, and another 3L (unsure year/build type). :shrug:

I wouldn't call it rod bearing failure, wasn't the bearings fault. Too many variables to compare like this, not sure what other mods these cars you speak of have but I wonder if any of them pull as hard through corners as my cougar? I could be wrong but just glancing at a video of VIR it doesn't look to have long hard high speed right handers like HPR.

those are both escape pans in the picture above.

Nah your wrong, the cleaner one is an MPV pan, the MPV pan is better because its the same.

i wouldn't call it rod bearing failure, wasn't the bearings fault. Too many variables to compare like this, not sure what other mods these cars you speak of have but i wonder if any of them pull as hard through corners as my cougar? I could be wrong but just glancing at a video of vir it doesn't look to have long hard high speed right handers like hpr.

Nah your wrong, the cleaner one is an mpv pan, the mpv pan is better because its the same.

hahahahahha!!!!!

I was the 3rd at VIR and I've got a full 3L with 2.5 pan and every 3.0 I've had in this car has been a Taurus engine. All of them but this one have been using Taurus Pans and all of them have spun bearings. 4 in total the last victim was an 18k mile 05 Taurus motor that spun after 3 laps on CMP... it would be really nice to find the issue and fix it but that's to much to hope for.

I was the 3rd at VIR and I've got a full 3L with 2.5 pan and every 3.0 I've had in this car has been a Taurus engine. All of them but this one have been using Taurus Pans and all of them have spun bearings. 4 in total the last victim was an 18k mile 05 Taurus motor that spun after 3 laps on CMP... it would be really nice to find the issue and fix it but that's to much to hope for.

Did you tear the engine down? Was it just one spun bearing or worn bearings everywhere?

Back