• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I give the hell up

As far as the Fox Body goes, I think you'll find yourself fixing things constantly, and you'll be lucky if you get HALF of that 37 MPG that you seem to love so much.

+1 on the fixing things constantly. any car in its mid 20s is gonna need lots of love; but foxes are a LOT easier to wrench on then the contour platform, and parts are cheaper as well.

Highest MPG ive heard from a 4 banger turbo fox is 35mpg, shifting at 2k, 65mph with a tailwind. and it was FAR from stock. a 302 is gonna be lucky to get low 20s. My 84 SVO gets a whopping 18mpg highway, but i blame my right foot and the pig rich tune ive got on the ECU currently. Once it drops below 40deg it gets parked in the garage.

not to mention the fox body is a front heavy pig, even in 4 banger form. sure is fun to go sideways in em though :)

yeah you can get a RWD car to drive decent in the snow, but thats with modern technology so its pointless to bring up 100 years ago. now a days there are much much better options. again... if you want a fox body, wait untill you can afford it for summer only and expect to put cash into it
Mercedes, Volvo, and BMW as examples have been only RWD. MB if I recall is over 100 years old. I drove an LS1 GTO for four winters. My point really is that people have been driving RWD cars of all sorts in the winter. I have lived in the snow belt for many years and since 1965 I don't think a winter has passed that I haven't seen Mustangs on the road. I don't think driving your T-Bird in the winter is senseable, I sure wouldn't risk it as it must be a very nice ride.

Why not jumping to irrational conclusions that the car is garbage because of a stupid mistake, you just settle with the fact that it isn't super fast but runs and drives. With some wheels and suspension work it will be a good looking car that you simply have to maintain with trivial things such as belts and bushings rather than having to dump a bunch of money into a Porsche or foxbody. Having a reliable mode of transportation that gets pretty good fuel economy is something a lot of people wish they had.

Stop getting worked up over what a few people on a website have to say about your car. You'll probably never meet them anyway.

I'm not whining, i'm just stating i'm done. i mean, if someone wants to buy the car for a price thats reasonalbe, then maybe i'll sell it, but i WILL have a DD as well as the Mustang. some of you guys need to STFU. i know the kind of work it takes to keep an 89 anything on the road. damn some of you guys are a pain in the ass. i'm not giving up over this one mistake. i'm giving up cuz i realized i'm wasting time. i know i can make the car as fast or faster than some of the SVT's, but its not nearly as cool as a FOX. i've always loved the fox's. and dont try to convice me to get a newer one, they're just BUTT UGLY.

calm down dude... seriously.

its the friggen internet. dont take anyhting people say on this site personal. youre never going to meet anyof them unless you go to SZ or something. since youre selling it, i know your not... all you have to do is hit the little red X in the top right hand side of the screen if you dont like anyhitng.

plus... were all just trying to help and give little pointers and suggestions... the way you worded things is that you were going to just get a FB. you never mentioned having a DD as well...

I hat3 my car!!11! Y U B SO SRS?

Don't give up. Just accept you are at step 4 and you're thinking about step 1,985.

I'm late to this thread, but I agree with bagged. If I sold a car every time I forked something up that cost me more than $85 I'd be on like my 15th car :laugh:

DD and fun car do not mix well in my opinion. I stick to having one of each :)

hey once he puts on those headers and SVT exhaust it will be almost instant that his zetec will go from 17s to 12s. Especially with that UDP. LMAO. I wish it was that easy to get my 2.5 into 12s. I bet you got nothing but respect though with a tempo, that must be why you were so proud of it.

BTW if you know the maintenance issues with a 20 year old car and know how much of a pain its gonna be, then why are you complaining about a couple little tiny problems with a 14 year old car? For the money you are gonna dump into a 5.0 restoring it after it has been abused by whatever redneck owned it before, or whatever it costs to get a not junk one, you could make that mercury into something impressive. That is of course with a little skill...

alright, i was JOKING about selling the car. i know it has another 100K miles left in it. and i know to have a DD along with a fun car. i'm not stupid. and i know my car is UGLY, but so are the 94+ except for the guy on here that has the nice Mystic Cobra on here. i'm attracted to the Fox Body (and not sexually :p). and i'm pretty sure i have the little bit of skill it takes to make the car quick. my little mistake isnt what made me give up. its a combination of things. my work is only giving me 2-3 days a week, and i'm making less than 150 a week, and i have to pay for gas to get to school which is 90+ miles a day, pay for insurance, school, and food. I was used to getting 6 days a week or more so i've taken a huge pay cut. i'm looking for a new job right now to get my feet back on the ground. but once i start saving money again, its not going into the Mercury. It does great for what it is. it gets my tools to where i need then and can still achieve over 30 MPGs.

and for you guys asking, i didnt hit 12's, i hit low 11's

in the 1/8 mile:laugh:

I mod my car in the same financial position :laugh:

At least though he is doing the smart thing and keeping the car that is gonna last him another 100,000 miles while he looks for his white trash special, I mean 5.0 fox. I cant see how people fall in love with those things, they are almost as offensive to the eye as mustangs of the 70s.

LOL oh yeah your right, "that header"

I think the tinkmobile does 11s in the 8th, your contour is kinda slow. you should fix it up.

Back