• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I finally did it

SurrealSVT

CEG'er
Ok, well I did it 6 months ago, but I'm just getting around to posting it up. Kind of afraid to get copied.
I installed a G35 coupe muffler on my CSVT. Let me tell you, I've wanted to do this for soooo long. I wanted to install one on my Probe but had center exit exhaust (the first one to have it), so I couldn't then.
It wasn't easy by any manner. You have to move the evap box over to behind the wheel well, cut out the spare tire well, and weld a new piece in. Then weld new hangers, new piping and cut and extend one tip of the muffler.
If you decide to do this, it is an amazing sound. One so good I never thought could come from a Ford V6. The tip just look amazing in the stock cut-outs.

I have pictures, just don't have a uploader.

Mike

Ok, well I did it 6 months ago, but I'm just getting around to posting it up. Kind of afraid to get copied.
I installed a G35 coupe muffler on my CSVT. Let me tell you, I've wanted to do this for soooo long. I wanted to install one on my Probe but had center exit exhaust (the first one to have it), so I couldn't then.
It wasn't easy by any manner. You have to move the evap box over to behind the wheel well, cut out the spare tire well, and weld a new piece in. Then weld new hangers, new piping and cut and extend one tip of the muffler.
If you decide to do this, it is an amazing sound. One so good I never thought could come from a Ford V6. The tip just look amazing in the stock cut-outs.

I have pictures, just don't have a uploader.

Mike

Sign up to picture trail. Free site. Upload picks and copy urls from there and post them here.

IMG_0251.jpg
Picture017.jpg
Picture014.jpg

The only video I have sounds like , so I won't be posting it. But let me tell you.. It is an amazing exotic sound.

Mike

I kept it on for a month after installing the muffler because I wanted to see what the sound was before removing it. Then I removed the resonator and it sounded even better. No rasp or anything.
Mike

Ive always wondered about having an exhaust like that i just didnt thing the fab cost would be worth it, i would probably went with a Magnaflow muffler like that though.

Luckly I had a friend who owns a coupe and upgraded to Greddy, so I scored the muffler for $75!!! The fabrication was done by me. So no cost there. I had a pipe made for $50 that goes from 3" before the stock Y starts and flanged to fit the muffler's stock flange. Everything else was done by me. Welding, hangers, moving the evap box, cutting/welding the spare-tire well.
The job is NOT for the faint of heart. Its a pretty intense job to do. If you want a G35 sound without doing all the mods, look into G35 Sedan mufflers and remove your resonator and put headers on.

Mike

If anyone else wants to do this here is a great deal on a twin muffler setup. The LKQ is selling it as stock, but I think it's aftermarket?
Link

BTW, I cut out the floor in my Cougar (easy with sawsal) then welded in a flat steel sheet. No big deal with the right tools, could also use sheet metal screw instead of welding. I tac welded the evap brackets back on the new sheet to retain that location.

-Nick

That one there would require more fabrication than mine too. The muffler on my car (G35 coupe) is a single entrance, dual exit muffler.
The car is pretty much stock, engine wise, except intake cone and MAF adapter and res. removed. I wouldn't mind getting a 65mm TB that is optimized and polished. I have no need for forced induction or any other serious power adders. If it looks good, is reliable and sounds good, I have my dream car. I need no more, no less.

The problem with putting the evap brackets back is that the muffler is tucked all the way up to where the wheel well was. So I moved the wiring and tubes to over behind the right rear wheel. It wasn't that hard of a job, but the looks of what needs to be done and being the first to do it (this exact mod) can be intimidating. I was done in a matter of a couple hours after thinking it through, slowly and carefully getting the correct measurements so I only had to do the job once.

Mike

That one there would require more fabrication than mine too. The muffler on my car (G35 coupe) is a single entrance, dual exit muffler.
The car is pretty much stock, engine wise, except intake cone and MAF adapter and res. removed. I wouldn't mind getting a 65mm TB that is optimized and polished. I have no need for forced induction or any other serious power adders. If it looks good, is reliable and sounds good, I have my dream car. I need no more, no less.

The problem with putting the evap brackets back is that the muffler is tucked all the way up to where the wheel well was. So I moved the wiring and tubes to over behind the right rear wheel. It wasn't that hard of a job, but the looks of what needs to be done and being the first to do it (this exact mod) can be intimidating. I was done in a matter of a couple hours after thinking it through, slowly and carefully getting the correct measurements so I only had to do the job once.

Mike

Even a 3L can not maximize a 65mm tb. Going to a 68 (opti) would be an over kill. Espeically when you don't even rev past 7k rpms with a 183 CI engine.:cool: Other wise a stock 65mm would do just fine your car.

Back