• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Honed 3 liter UIM ?

Not sure what happend, the car burned 6litres of oil in 3 weeks and then went kaboom. I didn't know I was actually shooting oil out of my exhaust:shocked:. From Oct2008 until now I have only gotten to drive my SVT 3 weeks :cry:. The car is now at LivinSVT's house getting a new motor and some other work done to it:cool:. When he has time hopefully he will tear apart my old motor and take pictures of what happend etc. Yes our dyno battle is on hold :(.

Aaron

it sounds like you were having the same problems i had with my first 3L. i kept burning oil, and it got hard to start. i kept putting starters in it, nothing helped. it ended up being EXCESSIVE crankcase pressure. i tested the problem by running a 3/4" PCV system on it with a 3L split port manifold. problem solved. so from there i just got a new PCV valve, and ran about three extra feet of PCV hose looped up so it wouldnt suck oil through. i ran some sea foam through the oil about 50 miles before an oil change, and i also deleted the fuel tank vent line so the PCV system only had to run the crankcase pressure through it. seemed to fix the problem. i was worried about it on the second 3L so i had that super ugly huge clear hose on it to make sure it wasnt pulling oil through it. no problems thus far

Umm the point I was making is a stock vette makes peak power at 6500 rpms. Which is higher than a straight 3l which is usually 5800 rpms or so. The cr6 is 4700. There's obviously a reason They made it like that an no point in having a car rev to 7k rpms if you can make the power at a lower rpm. Less rpms = longer lasting motor

Um....your comparing a 6.2L OHV engine to a 3.0L DOHC engine :help:

^^^^^ i hate when people compare apples to oranges lolz.

the duratec engines are based off a cosworth design that was making 300whp at something like 9000 rpm. these motors like to spin, and they do it well.

Haven't checked link yet but even if its that low its probably very flat to a higher shift point.
-J

Edit, BTW, your links from the GB rock, my car has super responsive handling now.

Now don't you feel stupid for calling bs before you even bothered to look it up? Oh my bad I was a 100 rpms off what ever. And AGAIN you was missing the point. Ain't no one compairing apples to oranges. The point was if you can make the power at a lower rpm, which the 3l does, why do you feel the need to make it spin 7k rpms? And 6.2ll in a cr6? Where did you get your info at? An Terry hains done made it clear that yes the duratec is a cosworth derived motor that they made for porsche, but it is a almost completely different design. Hate to break it to you

Now don't you feel stupid for calling bs before you even bothered to look it up? Oh my bad I was a 100 rpms off what ever. And AGAIN you was missing the point. Ain't no one compairing apples to oranges. The point was if you can make the power at a lower rpm, which the 3l does, why do you feel the need to make it spin 7k rpms? And 6.2ll in a cr6? Where did you get your info at? An Terry hains done made it clear that yes the duratec is a cosworth derived motor that they made for porsche, but it is a almost completely different design. Hate to break it to you

Completely different design huh. Glad you had to go ask around to help clarify to us the difference :rolleyes:

Also the 3.0L isn't designed to rev to 7k. I don't know why you keep saying that. Unless you have the required cams (svt) it doesn't make power that high. WE ALREADY KNOW THIS!!!!! The svt contour doesn't even rev to 7k rpms.

Now go back to FCO

Well dingaling I never said it would rev to 7k rpms. I was just responding on someone elses comment that they wanted there's to rev to 7k. An yes there isn't much left of the oe Engine that was designed by cosworth. And I didn't have to ask around. He just stated it in a post from a long time ago. But if ou think you know more than Terry hains you are as stupid as you sound. Now go change your tampon

Wow dude, glad we have a new douchebag on here.
I'm pretty confident I know WAY more than your punk@ss concerning engines.
And for your information, any big bore, DOHC 3L motor I decide to build will spin to 7000rpm and make more power than any POS you come up with.
-J

Well dingaling I never said it would rev to 7k rpms. I was just responding on someone elses comment that they wanted there's to rev to 7k. An yes there isn't much left of the oe Engine that was designed by cosworth. And I didn't have to ask around. He just stated it in a post from a long time ago. But if ou think you know more than Terry hains you are as stupid as you sound. Now go change your tampon

yeah, not much left of it except the two-piece block that is a cosworth design...... :rollseyes:

Wow dude, glad we have a new douchebag on here.
I'm pretty confident I know WAY more than your punk@ss concerning engines.
And for your information, any big bore, DOHC 3L motor I decide to build will spin to 7000rpm and make more power than any POS you come up with.
-J

J.. don't worry about this guy. This isn't the first time he pulled this crap. :nonono:

J.. don't worry about this guy. This isn't the first time he pulled this crap. :nonono:
Yeah, I'm not but ignorance gets on my nerves sometimes and my daughter is sick so less sleep/shorter fuse....you dingaling.

Also for the smart guy, care to tell me what this engine might make at say, 6000rpm?

peak hp:
470 @ 4800 rpm
peak tq:
535 @ 4500 rpm

-J

Yeah, I'm not but ignorance gets on my nerves sometimes and my daughter is sick so less sleep/shorter fuse....you dingaling.

Also for the smart guy, care to tell me what this engine might make at say, 6000rpm?

peak hp:
470 @ 4800 rpm
peak tq:
535 @ 4500 rpm

-J

Anyone else have Chuck Berry running through their head now?

Have you ever seen the oe design duratec? The spark plugs aren't even in the valve covers like they are now they are up in intake manifold area. Totaly different. And wow you got one dumb azz arguing with me saying the motor will NEVER turn 7k rpms, like I'm the one that said it was going to, taking up for the dumb azz that was the one who said it is going to turn 7k rpms lol WTF? That must be your butt buddy? I don't have time for people who want to argue for obviously just for the sake of arguing. But that's ceg for an is why theres way better an correct info on fordcontour.org

Have you ever seen the oe design duratec?
Yes i have 17 photos total of the engine :shrug:

The spark plugs aren't even in the valve covers like they are now they are up in intake manifold area. Totaly different.
Um...stop sounding like an idiot..cause your wrong!. The plug wires are still on the valve covers!! They pass through the secondary uim plenum that was porches uim design. But thanks for trying to teach me something that you don't even know how to explain. :blackeye:

And wow you got one dumb azz arguing with me saying the motor will NEVER turn 7k rpms, like I'm the one that said it was going to, taking up for the dumb azz that was the one who said it is going to turn 7k rpms lol WTF? That must be your butt buddy?

I recommend you leave this site...because of this!
I don't have time for people who want to argue for obviously just for the sake of arguing.

But then you say....
But that's ceg for an is why theres way better an correct info on fordcontour.org
Well what ever you said. I hope your saying i'm going back to FCO!

Have you ever seen the oe design duratec? The spark plugs aren't even in the valve covers like they are now they are up in intake manifold area. Totaly different. And wow you got one dumb azz arguing with me saying the motor will NEVER turn 7k rpms, like I'm the one that said it was going to, taking up for the dumb azz that was the one who said it is going to turn 7k rpms lol WTF? That must be your butt buddy? I don't have time for people who want to argue for obviously just for the sake of arguing. But that's ceg for an is why theres way better an correct info on fordcontour.org
OK, I'm done calling you names as much as I'd like to and you deserve.
Harrry stated and was right that the OEM 3L was not designed for 7000rpm as its in heavier ATX applications.
I'm stating that a good 3L build IMO will maintain its powerband to 7000rpm, peak probably near the stock SVT as I'd use SVT cams.
I called BS at the C6R SHIFTING under 5000rpm as you stated.
And look at the peak hp/tq for the apples/oranges Corvette you mentioned. Its either a typo or designed around a rule or something, no motor with peak tq at 4500 will have peak power at 4700 in a racing application unless designed for that.
Again, do you know enough to answer my question---what would the peak power be at 6000rpm for an engine that makes peak tq at 4500?
I hear your point that rpm is harder on parts and I fully agree (I built my Mustang turbo engine to peak at 6000 for similar reasons) BUT you can have much more power for building for a higher hp peak. I would like MY 3L build to maximize the 4500-7000rpm range.
There is no ONE answer as you seem to stress on, its all about the combination and application.
-J

lol. so basically what your trying to argue is that the original design isnt a hemispherical style head? LOL. just go back to FCO, call us when you learn thing 1 about duratec's.

any DOHC engine in a ford currently has a spark plug in the center of the combustion chamber. just because the plug wires went through the intake manifold openings to reach the valve covers doesnt mean that the plugs weren't in the center of the head.

i think i hear dom calling.... better go back to FCO!

Back