• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hey 3L gurus I need advice on my swap (PICS)

OK quick update. I went ahead and pulled both the FI harness and the main harness out of the engine bay. My car is a prod. date of 9/97 so i believe that makes it an EO harness correct?

Anyways, The code that its been throwing is in relation to the MAF, which I have changed out once already. So with the harness out of the car i checked for continuity from the MAF plug to both the PCM connector and the large square connector on the fender and have good continuity on all 4 wires.

Now overall I dont see too much trouble with my harness. There are a couple places here and there that the insulation is cracking but nothing major. What I did find was a section of the main harness that had been MELTED. When I purchased this car the main harness was just stuffed behind the engine rather than bolted to the valve cover like it should be. Striker and I relocated it like it should be but didnt notice the melted section then. Must have been too close to the rear manifold. So of the 40-50 wires in that section of the harness 18-20 of them have exposed wire now that I have seperated them all from each other. I'm not going to get too excited over this but perhaps I will have a good running car once I repair these wires. . . cross your fingers.

180627_501037504302_800374302_5909645_2064957_n.jpg

Bingo!

Car runs like a champ. This was confirmed by the officer that pulled me over within 20 min of me fixing it, haha. I failed to notice him in the area but he said, "you rolled through that stop sign back there and then YOU WERE HAULING ASSSS!" Haha, I apologized and said I was just excited cause i had been working on it. Let me go with a warning. . .

Yep your vice grips are here.

Awesome. so now you can start getting it ready for the Dragon run in October.

we will have to figure out how I can get them back. went to use them the other day and couldnt find them, figured i had left them at your place.

Good job, glad you got it working. That harness looked in pretty good shape :laugh:

Get a tune for it.

Yeah I was glad the rest of the harness was in good shape although I gotta tell you I understand all the complaining about the insulation on the wires. Not only is it brittle and cracks but it melts really easily. I had to be extra careful when I was soldering the new wire in because the insulation down the line would start melting.

I also see what you guys mean about getting it tuned. It runs real good up top but its like an on/off switch at about 3500-4000rpm, obviously due to the absence of secondaries. I'm guessing the ignition map is way off down in those rpms.

I guarantee you i get this car on the dragon way before october, haha.

Yeah I was glad the rest of the harness was in good shape although I gotta tell you I understand all the complaining about the insulation on the wires. Not only is it brittle and cracks but it melts really easily. I had to be extra careful when I was soldering the new wire in because the insulation down the line would start melting.

I also see what you guys mean about getting it tuned. It runs real good up top but its like an on/off switch at about 3500-4000rpm, obviously due to the absence of secondaries. I'm guessing the ignition map is way off down in those rpms.

I guarantee you i get this car on the dragon way before october, haha.

The full 3L can benefit from a lot of extra timing down low. I saw quite a few builds gain 20-30hp and nearly 70-80tq down low when timing was added in.

Back