• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

hesitation/bucking is back

I had the same problem and I just replaced my wires this past weekend with the Autolite professional series wires. Bucking/stumbling went away. I'll post if it comes back.

For those who think it takes 150K muiles for a filter to clog, which is far from the truth. Seen them clog up after 60K miles on multiple vehicles. It all depends on the source of fuel and how often they keep their tanks replenished. Usually a plugged cat will increase engine temps based on the restriction. Go get yourself a fuel pressure gauge and see how the fuel pressure is. Too many people guessing here. At least with a fuel pressure gauge you will either be able to narrow it down, or eliminate it entirely.

For those who think it takes 150K muiles for a filter to clog, which is far from the truth. Seen them clog up after 60K miles on multiple vehicles. It all depends on the source of fuel and how often they keep their tanks replenished. ...
Very true. I usually advise changing the fuel filter 2 years/24K miles.

Okay so they eliminates that. My comment was in defense of another that was made in a previous post.
So why not see how your fuel pressure is to elimnate any fuel supply issues?

The odds are against the wires. I'm gonna check the fuel pump out, though. Wish me luck.:cool: (it's a good thing we don't have to pay per post.:laugh: )

LMAO. BTW, how's your car doin now?
It's doing great. It was in the teens this morning. However, I cheated. I let it idle for 10 minutes in the driveway so that the car was warm when I got in. "me no likey cold butt". I did a PS fluid "flush"* 1x yesterday. No difference, of course, as I did not have PS issues prior to "flushing" yesterday. It was just more than 30K miles since the last flush. I will drive a few days and then do it again and again and again (4X as I bought 2 quarts of ATF Type F for the 1996). Actually, 3X is more than enough but why leave 0.5 quart in the bottle for a year and a half.

* Turkey Baster Method. Actually, I used a siphon pump to drain and refill the reservoir. This is applicable for PS Steering reservoir as the fluid recirculates. Not applicable for brake fluid reservoir.

On my wifes 98 I had the wiring harness on the fuel rail to start shedding & it ended up causing a dead skip that would go and come. BTW this is when I figured out that the CEL bulb was missing from her car.
Also I thoughtthat when the plugs were chalky or somewhat white you are running lean, which brings me to my brothers car which had an air leak around the MAF. The ECU had ran lean for so long that when the car heated up it bucked & surged, after this his bucking came back & we repaced the coil & this fixed it. It also had a CEL, 98 CSVT.
My car Is a long story b/c I actually lost the #3 plug when I rethreaded the hole I thought I was loosing compression so I never really looked into it I just did a 3L swap I was planning on anyway bucking came back, I chased my tail until I pulled the DTC's I had a p0303 ,which is what I was getting b4 the swap. I then replaced coil fuel filter, blah blah blah but it was the #3 plug wire. On my car it wouldn't throw a CEL b/c like you I was taking it easy when it was bucking. I recommend you take it ou & dog it until the CEL comes on then go from your codes.

I will try, but it's been doing it so long that I should have thrown a code by now. Goin to my uncles tonight to test fuel pressure. It should be 30-32 @ idle and up to 40 off idle, correct?

Sorry to join your thread but I'm having the same problems. This weekend I cleaned the MAF, and replaced/gapped the spark plugs and wires with Autolite double plat's and Motorcraft brand wires. The problem did not go away.

But here's something interesting I noticed today. The bucking gets worse as you increase throttle, but then goes away at WOT. Regardless of rev location, as long as you have WOT there is no bucking (or its so much slighter its not noticable)...

any thoughts on that?

I just got rid of this problem, mine was that my IMRC wiring right by the plug had worn just enough that two wires were making contact, and when they sparked, boom the car would buck really hard, usually around the 3-4k range. Just check it out

Back