• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

hesitation/bucking is back

How could I check for a clogged cat?

"el cheapo" clogged precat test ....

remove lower sensors and see if car runs better ... if yes main cat is the issue, if no then remove upper sensors and run car, if it runs better then its the pre-cats, if not its some other issue ...

I doubt it w/b a plugged cat as the symptoms dictate that as engine revs rise, it gets worse. Been there, done that-twice!

Have you checked for a vacuum leak? When I had a vacuum leak, the symptoms were indentical with 1 exception-I threw a CEL. It could be that the code is in the "pending" stage.

Bradness, yes, I've checked 20 times for leaks, and this has been an issue since Thanksgiving, so it should have thrown a light by now. It does "feel" like it could be a leak, but if so, I can't find it, and I've already replaced several hoses.:shrug: Thankks for the input though, i appreciate it.:cool:

If I unbolt the flange in front of the main cat, then run it a bit and it's better, this would indicate the main cat as the culprit, correct?

yes if you give the exhaust a way to escape before the main cat and it runs better then the main cat is the issues, would still check the pre-cats ...

also I wouldn't suggest doing that, the gasket may not seal back up correctly afterwards, just pull one of the lower O2 sensors ...

I like the justification!
It's good to see you still have your sense of humor. :)

When my TPS started to go the car would idle funny (i.e. it would go high then low and sometimes the car would stall at idle. Then from idle to about 2900 rpm it lag then go normal erratically. When it went completely the only way I could start the car was by disconnecting the tps and then turn it over but as soon as I'd let of the gas to go to idle it would stall.

1997 2.0 dohc modified
2001 F250 S/D 6.8 V10
2006 Fusion 3.0 V6

Dang. TPS and precat bank 2 test ok. Next stop, fuel pump? Don't want to spend the $$$ if this won't fix it. Any thing to check first? I'm gonna get a scantool tonight to check the fuel pump per ford cd.

Dang. TPS and precat bank 2 test ok. Next stop, fuel pump? Don't want to spend the $$$ if this won't fix it. Any thing to check first? I'm gonna get a scantool tonight to check the fuel pump per ford cd.

check that you are getting the required pressure and go form there ...

Back