• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Group Buy: Automatic open/close sunroof w/ lighted switch: round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized something. I plugged the black wire for the lighted switch into the wrong socket in the connector and wasn't paying attention when I plugged it all back in. Is there any extras you can send me or is there a way to get it out? I'm pretty sure I might find it at a store or something, or possibly a junk yard. But I was just wondering before hand. I know I should've paid more attention, but I was too excited when putting it all together that I accidently flipped the connector around and stuck it under the yellow wire instead of the white/blue one. hahah I fail.

It's really tough to get them out of that connector once they are in. I'm on spring break so I don't have any wires with me, but if I have extras at home I can send you one.

Okay. If I happen to get one from the junk yard before hand, I'll let you know. I'll just find a connector and just bust it open so it'll be easier.

if anyone has pm'd me i will be returning your pms very shortly. sorry for the wait i have been on vacation. thanks again. i have gotten a lot of positive feedback from this group buy so hopefully everyone is enjoying the kit!

Installed mine, the sunroof works great now. However... switch isn't lighting up. I either got a bad switch or miswired something but I did it exactly like in the directions. I'm going to pull the trim off tomorrow and shoot the wire with a test light and see if its getting power. If it is... well I'll need a new switch I guess...

Installed mine, the sunroof works great now. However... switch isn't lighting up. I either got a bad switch or miswired something but I did it exactly like in the directions. I'm going to pull the trim off tomorrow and shoot the wire with a test light and see if its getting power. If it is... well I'll need a new switch I guess...

Read up a little in this thread of a post by svttour or pm me if you have any other issues.

I'm getting another one in from svttour, thanks for directing me to that post I totally missed it. I really REALLY love that I can hit the button as I pull into the parking lot at work and its closed when I park. Not having that feature with a stick shift sucks lol. I'm still amazed how well it works after all those quick splices hanging onto the wiring harness but work it does.

I'm getting another one in from svttour, thanks for directing me to that post I totally missed it. I really REALLY love that I can hit the button as I pull into the parking lot at work and its closed when I park. Not having that feature with a stick shift sucks lol. I'm still amazed how well it works after all those quick splices hanging onto the wiring harness but work it does.

yeah if you make sure you really squeeze the quick splices they work wonders for how easy they are to use. Of course if you want a better way you can always solder them...

I was thinking of solder and heatshrink to make it look stockish but I'm lazy and the quick splices work just as well. You never ever see it so whatever And with my luck I'd solder it all up nice and pretty and my motor gear would strip out lol.

I guess I'm the only person that had an issue with which wire to splice into for the switch light. It says black in the instructions but that is a ground. The black/blue one tested good with a test light but upon splicing into that one and clipping everything back together my memory fuse blew out for I dunno what reason. Maybe there was a piece of exposed wire that touched all the scrunched up stuff in there? Probably so I made sure to insulate the crap out of both unused quick splices still hanging on the dome light wires and started shooting the wires for a better solution.

Anyway, if you want a cleaner/easier way to wire up the lighted switch then simply splice the wire you install into the switch harness into the purple wire a few pins over (12v constant with ignition on) and you are done. I like this method better since you can do it along with everything else while you have the sunroof motor out of the car. Didn't have any shorts this time and test light confirms power to both pins with the ignition on and no power in the off position just like it should be. Not sure if my switch light actually works yet since it is still light out but I'll find out tonight. If not then svttour is sending another one.

Yeeeesh, the crap we go through for cars...

Your problem was the switch, not the wire. I got a dud, too.

~Mike~

Except the "black" wire as per the instructions is a ground wire and there is no way its going to light up anything. No idea why the black/blue wire blew out the first time but like I said, fixed the wiring. Now just waiting on a switch that lights up lol.

Except the "black" wire as per the instructions is a ground wire and there is no way its going to light up anything. No idea why the black/blue wire blew out the first time but like I said, fixed the wiring. Now just waiting on a switch that lights up lol.

Then tell me why mine lit up when installed per the instructions? lol

~Mike~

There are two black wires, was it the center one or the one on the end? I sure as hell wasn't getting any power to the test light with it hooked to the solid black wire on the end. The center one gave me power but I blew a fuse for some reason. Like I said, re-wired to the purple one and the test light lit up. No blown fuses, no shorts etc...

There are two black wires, was it the center one or the one on the end? I sure as hell wasn't getting any power to the test light with it hooked to the solid black wire on the end. The center one gave me power but I blew a fuse for some reason. Like I said, re-wired to the purple one and the test light lit up. No blown fuses, no shorts etc...

It's the solid black one that the instructions said to use. If you're so sure it'll work, take the switch out of your passenger door and see what happens. I'm pretty sure you blew the fuse (and possibly the light in the switch) when you hooked it up to the hot wire.

~Mike~

So its the one on the end, not in the middle? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just like to make sure I'm doing this right so I don't blow it up again lol. The wire that we added to the harness is NOT supossed to be powered?

EDIT: Went out and shot one of the passenger switches, the added wire is a ground and I'm an idiot lol. There is a reason I hate wires. So I put one of the rear window switches that works fine in and now my sunroof switch is lit. Just one of my back doors has a dark switch now but when the switch I'm getting comes in I'll just replace it. This means I had it wired right the first time and I just got a dud.

TY for keeping me from blowing up another switch/fuse lol. It IS the solid black ground wire on the end.

So its the one on the end, not in the middle? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just like to make sure I'm doing this right so I don't blow it up again lol. The wire that we added to the harness is NOT supossed to be powered?

I don't remember exactly which wire it is, all I know is I followed the instructions to a T and the light came on. I don't know why it is a ground or where the light gets its power from, but it works.

~Mike~

It is a ground, see my edit. TY for your help. I have a lighted switch now, just will need to change the door switch I swapped out when the other one comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back