• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Griffin SVT Radiator - Interest Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Ben,

He is correct, my dad doesn't stock either focus or contour pieces so that was a no-go. But if Ben gets his focus rad. soon i can pull my SVT piece at the same time.

Well, it's going to be a while before I get my Focus radiator. I added up all of the parts that I've bought fixing up Hector's Old Car, and I need to hold off spending any more money. I won't be buying it until sometime next month.

I don't know if any of you guys has access to a pick-n-pull, or a friend that works at a dealership. That may be another way to go to get the measurements.

BP

I read through everything. Is it that you are missing a stock focus radiator? Or do you need an SVT focus rad? There are a few focii in the yards around me and I could pull one if needed.

Last edited:
I'm going to replace my stock ATX Contour radiator with a MTX Focus radiator for the additional cooling capacity. i was going to go with a SVT Contour radiator but they are now discontinued. I also want to get a Focus radiator to see just how similiar that the mounting points are to a Contour radiator.

BP

I'm going to replace my stock ATX Contour radiator with a MTX Focus radiator for the additional cooling capacity. i was going to go with a SVT Contour radiator but they are now discontinued. I also want to get a Focus radiator to see just how similiar that the mounting points are to a Contour radiator.

BP

So have you gotten the Focus one yet? I'm anxiously awaiting to find out whether it fits or not.

It is July, and now i too have a leaky Radiator... :( (only after it shuts off, not during operation) but regardless, the sooner we know the better.

What where is it leaking? Use JB weld and fiberglass over it. Mine still works like a champ.

I vote you just find a local Radiator lying around here... I know a few focus guys I can check with them. I also know a guy who repairs salvage foci so he should have a bunch of them sitting around.

Do we know that the focus SVT Radiators will work?

I have no idea... That was the plan earlier in this thread to see if they would or any focus radiator in general as there is a bigger aftermarket for them.

I don't have a focus radiator but I do have the one out of my Contour so if I find someone who has one laying around I can check it out.

Could you take some measurements of it? Then I could check with the local Foci crowd too. Like:

Distance between upper posts
Distance between lower posts
Overall length & height
Core length
Tank length & width

Note.. these measurements/comments do not take into consideration the tank dimensions -- I'm unsure if there are any parts that will restrict the radiator dimensions due to the areas around the tanks.

About the areas around the core (from tightest to largest)...
hood latch & brace: 3/8" thicker core. If you have hood pins then it could be removed. Also, it might be possible to fabricate a different latch support (w/o moving the location of the latch), which would give you about 11/16" of space. *Could* even grind the closest part of the brace (while still retaining some of the brace sides), which would give about 5/8".
fiberised plastic trim of the oval area: 1-1/8" thicker core. This might be trimmable.
front support beam: 1-1/4" thicker core.
Upper radiator support beam: about 2" thicker core. This shouldn't be a problem. The condenser sits lower than the beam, and there's about 2" of space in front of the radiator core top.

Could you take some measurements of it? Then I could check with the local Foci crowd too. Like:

Distance between upper posts
Distance between lower posts
Overall length & height
Core length
Tank length & width

Note.. these measurements/comments do not take into consideration the tank dimensions -- I'm unsure if there are any parts that will restrict the radiator dimensions due to the areas around the tanks.

About the areas around the core (from tightest to largest)...
hood latch & brace: 3/8" thicker core. If you have hood pins then it could be removed. Also, it might be possible to fabricate a different latch support (w/o moving the location of the latch), which would give you about 11/16" of space. *Could* even grind the closest part of the brace (while still retaining some of the brace sides), which would give about 5/8".
fiberised plastic trim of the oval area: 1-1/8" thicker core. This might be trimmable.
front support beam: 1-1/4" thicker core.
Upper radiator support beam: about 2" thicker core. This shouldn't be a problem. The condenser sits lower than the beam, and there's about 2" of space in front of the radiator core top.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow after work, as long as I don't forget :eek:

I do have a rather large/expensive present that might distract me slightly but I'll do what I can :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back