• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Go out and take some pictures! (CEG 2008 Calendar Reminder)

Guitarman19853

Hard-core CEG'er
Hey everyone! I received a PM from a member suggesting that since we seem to have a few new members, I should post about the 2008 calendar.

This year I would like to start accepting submissions October and have the submission period be longer and earlier. I would like to get the calendar out earlier in December and will be looking into other printing options seeing as cafepress was a little bit of a disappointment as far as print quality goes.

This thread is just a reminder for all of you to go out and take some pictures of your cars!

Just a FYI: Cafepress suggests that the picture size be 2300 x 1800 which is about the equivalent of a 5 megapixel camera. Slightly less can be accepted and some still work at less resolution but they will run the risk of being pulled if they don't look right once scaled up. Also, more pixels gives us more room to get the correct cropping for the calendar.

Those that haven't seen the 2007 calendar can see the pictures here.

Go get some pictures in the nice summer weather!

is the bigger resolution the better? or is there a preference?
im under the assumption that bigger is better, but im just playing it safe before i get serious on taking pictures.

Let me know when someone with taste is judging.

Judging, as always, will be comprised of a select panel of our peers. the average of "our" tastes. This will determine the picture qualifications, order, and finalists. If "we" are going to purchase it with "our" money, then "we" will judge it from our peers.

Who knows, maybe you'll be a judge? Guitarman, talk with me, if you want!

Just to play devils advocate Ray... Who elected the the panel?

If its supposed to be a consensus then maybe the panel should be elected, or the slew of pictures should be voted on by the site?

Just thinking out loud...

Just to play devils advocate Ray... Who elected the the panel?

If its supposed to be a consensus then maybe the panel should be elected, or the slew of pictures should be voted on by the site?

Just thinking out loud...

To answer that question:

the panelists were chosen, by either myself, guitarman, or GTO Pete (whomever was running the calendar that year, etc)

we narrow the selections to a top 30 or so..

the panelists are NOT the end-all. they vote (secretly) on their favorites among the narrowed selection, and then we order the top 13 as finalists. if those top 13 can't provide sufficient resolutions, or within the time period, they are dropped, and the entire group of pictures moves up, to fill the slot, so that the 14th ranked picture is now 13, and 13 is now 12, etc..

the choices for panelists last year were made on a "half and half" basis.. each person running the calendar picked an equal share of judges based on a list of key factors; unbiased voting, and the ability to vote bases on TOTAL picture quality, not just "vehicle quality" (lighting, clarity, framing, etc) were among the top qualifications that judges had to agree to.

i dont understand this...im unfamiliar with HDR

The acronym HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. In Adobe's implementation within Photoshop CS2 this is accomplished by using a series of photographs which one takes in the same manner as with previous blending techniques, and then using floating point 32 bit (per channel) math, merging these files automatically into one huge high dynamic range image.

Basically, its taking a series of photographs of the same shot. In one photo, focusing on the farthest point, the second, focusing on the middle of the scene, and the third and final shot, focusing on the closest things to you. Then taking all the images into Photoshop, combining them into one, seemingly perfectly exposed and cool looking photo!

The acronym HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. In Adobe's implementation within Photoshop CS2 this is accomplished by using a series of photographs which one takes in the same manner as with previous blending techniques, and then using floating point 32 bit (per channel) math, merging these files automatically into one huge high dynamic range image.

Basically, its taking a series of photographs of the same shot. In one photo, focusing on the farthest point, the second, focusing on the middle of the scene, and the third and final shot, focusing on the closest things to you. Then taking all the images into Photoshop, combining them into one, seemingly perfectly exposed and cool looking photo!

well i do think the pics m!key posted last year were cool, but unfair for a calender competiton, the rules have been no photoshopping and i think it would be unfair to those without it, but thats just my 2 cents

well i do think the pics m!key posted last year were cool, but unfair for a calender competiton, the rules have been no photoshopping and i think it would be unfair to those without it, but thats just my 2 cents

ill agree with you on that BUT

how do you think calendar companies make their photos look so good.

I think that adding parts to cars through photoshop, or any other computer program, should be against the rules. Fixing things on the car should also not be allowed. I do however think that is is ok to adjust the color, contrast, ect. of a photo to make it THE PHOTO look better; not the car. The use of HDR does exactly that.

As long as the car itself if left untouched in photoshop, I see nothing wrong with that. But thats just MY $.02

Last edited:
I'd love to be a judge if you haven't picked 'em out yet...

I can also set up a space on the web to meet and share pics

Last edited:
HDR pics should be in....

I need to get M!key to take pics of my car... ill be making a hike out there sometime!

I do however think that is is ok to adjust the color, contrast, ect. of a photo to make it THE PHOTO look better; not the car.

As was the rule last year. Any PHYSICAL CHANGE to the photo, be it a rouge sign, a small ding, or a color match being changed would be a disqualification. Only actions like contrast, brightness, and levels should be used. Though, theorhetically, you should (if taking a good picture) have 99% of that done correctly WHEN you snap the photo.

Back