• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

GB: Upgraded Sway Bar Endlinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn....how skinny are you. I have the same suspension and no way am I fitting under there lol.
You got me there. Pretty skinny.

Anyway you said with one nut removed the rears are as long as stock. Is this what we want? Is there an advantage to leaving both nuts on there to make it longer than stock?
You don't really want the rears longer than stock unless you're lifted. Point is to keep the bar pretty close to horizontal at static ride height for an optimal lever ratio.

For the fronts, how do you know how to set them? What is the benefit on making it longer/shorter? What is the ideal setting?

I figure since we have the same Koni/B&G setup and hoping you know what your doing ;) .....I can copy your settings
Well, I'm a chassis engineer but that doesn't necessarily mean I know what I'm doing with this car. :laugh: It will be trial and error if there's an issue, since I don't know of anyone here who has used adjustable front links on a Contour. I lengthened them to partially return the bar to its original orientation, since lowering effectively raises the mounting tab on the strut, rotating the sway bar up. However, the LCA is also more horizontal after lowering, so the clearance there decreases on this car when you do this (another argument for roll center adjusters!). So admittedly my length setting is somewhat arbitrary.

Lastly, does it make sense to try and take off the stock front bushings and add them to these upgraded ones?
The stock front links don't have bushings, they're just ball joints on the ends. So I'm not sure what you mean.

You got me there. Pretty skinny.
im not all that skinny, IMO and i can fit to get to the rears on my SVT with B&Gs as well. its just a lot easier with the car off the ground, gives you more room to work comfortably.

However, the LCA is also more horizontal after lowering, so the clearance there decreases on this car when you do this (another argument for roll center adjusters!).

secret plans are in the works.;)

keep in mind that by the time you lock down the rears from the picture of them next to the stock ones, you will have shortened them by about 1/4". adding the second nut takes them back just over 1/4" thus putting that setup at about the same length as stock.
Well, I'm not going to argue with the creator, but the lock washer does not collapse by 1/4". I considered this before commenting on it. I'll give you 3/32" maybe. Should be clear from your picture (locked down) and mine (not). It's not a problem, just an observation on application for lowered people, since that is after all one of the major reasons to buy these.

Well, I'm not going to argue with the creator, but the lock washer does not collapse by 1/4". I considered this before commenting on it. I'll give you 3/32" maybe. Should be clear from your picture (locked down) and mine (not). It's not a problem, just an observation on application for lowered people, since that is after all one of the major reasons to buy these.
its not just the lock washer that collapses, but also the bushing will compress slightly as well. between the 2, mostly the bushing, you get about 1/4". Like you said, its not a problem, just a better solution for those who are lowered. since not everyone is lowered or lowered the same amount, i provide the extra nut.

Nice! Let me know (PM me if this isn't going to be a GB type thing). Replacement for the riveted BJ or a whole arm? Sorry, back on topic...:p

im not giving my secrets away, now stay on topic. :crazy: you can PM me if you would like to know more.

1. Chas (full set) CEG PAID Shipped
2. KyleQ (full set) CEG PAID Shipped
3. brapple (full set) CEG PAID Shipped
4. backseatofacontour (full set) CEG PAID
5. kevxr2002 (full set) NECO PAID Shipped
6. jaged (full set) NECO PAID Shipped
7. isisfreak (full set?) NECO PAID Shipped
8. Gorman (full set) NECO PAID Shipped
9. rollinstylee (full set) CEG PAID Shipped
10. S.BOOGIE2468 (full set) NECO PAID Shipped
11. muntus (full set) CEG PAID Shipped
12. SVT Loki (Full) CEG PAID Shipped
13. spider1178 (full set) NECO PAID Shipped
14. morbid (front) CEG PAID Shipped
15. 99cougarsupreme (full set) NECO
16. Linkman (Full set) NECO (and CEG) PAID Shipped
17. TeamSVTour (full set) CEG PAID Shipped
18. 111R (fronts) CEG PAID Shipped
19. TOPIK(FULL SET) NECO
20. Desertneco (Full Set) NECO
21. Monkeygrits (Full Set) NECO PAID Shipped
22. tigerbalm (full set) CEG PAID Shipped
23. Wien_Sean (full set) CEG PAID Shipped
24. Arnold (full set) CEG
25. Redlineracer12 (full set) CEG PAID Shipped
26. sonza68 (fronts) NECO PAID Shipped
27. kpeeks (full set) NECO PAID Shipped
28. Newcat016(Full Set) NECO PAID Shipped
29. blustreak (fullset) NECO PAID Shipped
30. SVTJON87 (Rear only) CEG PAID Shipped
31. Gooserex (full set) CEG PAID Shipped
32. 5559 (rear only) CEG PAID Shipped
33. Chromed CoUgaR (Full Set) NECO PAID Shipped
34. Blind829 (Full Set) CEG PAID Shipped
35. CRZYDRVR (Full Set) CEG PAID Shipped
36. DevanMC (full set) CEG PAID Shipped
37. SVT.CJS (Full Set) CEG
PAID Shipped

1.LilCe98(rear set)
2.Mark T (front & rear set to UK)
3.Necronommicon (Front & Rear)
4.UKFAN50 (just rear set)
5.SVTkid (front and rear set)
6.OB1(both)
7.Shaggy (both)

1. Chas (full set) CEG PAID Shipped
2. KyleQ (full set) CEG PAID Shipped
3. brapple (full set) CEG PAID Shipped

5. kevxr2002 (full set) NECO PAID Shipped
6. jaged (full set) NECO PAID Shipped
7. isisfreak (full set?) NECO PAID Shipped
8. Gorman (full set) NECO PAID Shipped
9. rollinstylee (full set) CEG PAID Shipped
10. S.BOOGIE2468 (full set) NECO PAID Shipped
11. muntus (full set) CEG PAID Shipped Delivered
12. SVT Loki (Full) CEG PAID Shipped
13. spider1178 (full set) NECO PAID Shipped
14. morbid (front) CEG PAID Shipped
15. 99cougarsupreme (full set) NECO
16. Linkman (Full set) NECO (and CEG) PAID Shipped
17. TeamSVTour (full set) CEG PAID Shipped
18. 111R (fronts) CEG PAID Shipped
19. TOPIK(FULL SET) NECO
20. Desertneco (Full Set) NECO
21. Monkeygrits (Full Set) NECO PAID Shipped
22. tigerbalm (full set) CEG PAID Shipped
23. Wien_Sean (full set) CEG PAID Shipped
24. Arnold (full set) CEG PAID
25. Redlineracer12 (full set) CEG PAID Shipped
26. sonza68 (fronts) NECO PAID Shipped
27. kpeeks (full set) NECO PAID Shipped
28. Newcat016(Full Set) NECO PAID Shipped
29. blustreak (fullset) NECO PAID Shipped
30. SVTJON87 (Rear only) CEG PAID Shipped
31. Gooserex (full set) CEG PAID
32. 5559 (rear only) CEG PAID Shipped
33. Chromed CoUgaR (Full Set) NECO PAID'
34. Blind829 (Full Set) CEG PAID Shipped
35. CRZYDRVR (Full Set) CEG PAID Shipped
36. DevanMC (full set) CEG PAID Shipped

Thanks.

1.LilCe98(rear set)
6.OB1(both)
7.Shaggy (both)
8. grossgo (rear only)

Got my fronts on today, and set them at about stock height.

One thing I recommend for everyone is to put anti-seize on the threads of the heim joints. If they start getting corroded they won't be adjustable for long :laugh:

Too bad the through bolts/nuts couldn't have been 13, 15, or 18mm since that's what everything else is under there ;)

Got my fronts on today, and set them at about stock height.

One thing I recommend for everyone is to put anti-seize on the threads of the heim joints. If they start getting corroded they won't be adjustable for long :laugh:

Too bad the through bolts/nuts couldn't have been 13, 15, or 18mm since that's what everything else is under there ;)
I agree, unfortunately finding metric rod ends for the same price and quality as these SAE ones is near impossible.

1.LilCe98(rear set)
6.OB1(both)
7.Shaggy (both)
8. grossgo (rear only)
9. montrese04 (both)

Are you kidding me? Everything is loose as :censored::censored::censored::censored: on this car. I wouldn't want any of the suspension stuff off this car, that's for sure. I've had a clunk in the rear since I got the car. I don't trust any of it.

wow wasn't trying to hit a nerve. just joking around cause the endlink on the front pass side is brand new i know for a fact because i put it on. im going to stop this here and not throw this thread completely off topic.

It's all good. With the way the roads are around here, no used/non-new suspension would last very long. The combination of a loose suspension and awful roads makes driving interesting, to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back